How many of you have actually had to draw on someone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    I think what actually got me was what got wrote on the edge of the First Sergeants hand...
    The COL was pretty annoyed when Top Saluted him... LOL

Brilliant!

I've only drawn once after being woke up by the sounds of objects being thrown at my old apartment building. Turned out to be pesky hoodrat neighbors. They saw the gun as I walked into the living room and they called the cops. Of course, they came out and discovered I hadn't done any wrong and told the neighbors to cut out their shenanigans or be hauled away in shiny bracelets. :D
    Luckily in this situation I only had it out, didn't even have to point it.

Snayperskaya

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Indy Northwest
    I certainly hope this comment was supposed to be for sarcasm.

While many of us carry guns, if any of us actually has to shoot someone the odds are that the shooter, even if totally justified, will experience mental trauma that few of us can understand.

I would hope that nobody here has to do anything more than present a weapon in self defense.

I've reached out and touched a few(dozen) people over seas. Never really bothered me, but I see where you are coming from. Besides, there is a small chance he was scared straight after that. It's interesting how big a .40 barrel looks on the end of such a small gun.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I've reached out and touched a few(dozen) people over seas. Never really bothered me, but I see where you are coming from. Besides, there is a small chance he was scared straight after that. It's interesting how big a .40 barrel looks on the end of such a small gun.

So I'm just curious which Pizza joint this was... Sounds a lot like like the Pizza Hut at 79th and Michigan.

Also, in the 7 year's I've been carrying, I've placed my hand on my firearm (but not pulled it out of the holster) twice.

Once was when a group of four or five "urban looking fellows" were yelling at me and my wife outside a theater and one of them proceeded to lift up the bottom of his hoodie as though going for a weapon however he stopped and they retreated as soon as I yanked up my jacket side and exposed he handle of my G22 with my right hand on it.

The other time was as my wife and I were leaving the State Fair grounds and headed on our way to a private parking lot (The last time we ever parked anywhere other than on site or at the school across the street) and three "urban looking fellows" purposefully crossed the street two times to "intercept our progress", as we crossed the street to avoid them a third time at about 30 yards I cleared my Jersey from the grip of my G22 and placed my hand on it. At that point they crossed the road again, although to the opposite side from where we were walking.

I think most predators, just like bullies, will take advantage of seemingly defenseless opportunities. But when it is demonstrated that one is not a defenseless target, they often decide not to engage. Luckily I have not yet encountered anyone who is 100% committed to engaging me.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Where are all the hard-asses who say that if you draw your gun, you'd better shoot your gun?

Great story. I think people often forget that "luck follows the prepared". I have friends on that side of town and I am perpetually in condition orange whenever I go to that area.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Military: of coarse many times

as a civilian: YES (rather not post it) the other person didnt even know it was out, I was able to talk down the lunatic. This was a long time ago.

in my job: YES, numerous times.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    We always used to draw on the first guy that passed out.

As far as drawing my gun on somebody, yep had to do it once, guy saw the error of his ways and left.

varasha

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Indy East Side
    I certainly hope this comment was supposed to be for sarcasm.

While many of us carry guns, if any of us actually has to shoot someone the odds are that the shooter, even if totally justified, will experience mental trauma that few of us can understand.

I would hope that nobody here has to do anything more than present a weapon in self defense.

I have said in other posts how i will always run if that is an available option, because i don't want the hassle of going to court and dealing with a bunch of BS for them to determine i did a "good shoot". I highlighted in red a problem i have with your post.

I am not an expert on case law, or even a leo, but i am of the opinion that if i have to draw my weapon, it is going bang. I rationale this because drawing a gun, and not using it is a threat, and threatening someone with a gun is a felony. When i do my time in front of a judge, i don't want there to be an hitches. Self defense is when someone is trying to hurt you, and you hurt them first, not scare them away by puffing up and getting all bouncy.

Be warned, if you make me draw my firearm...i WILL shoot you, probably more than once, and then i will be a good little citizen unload my gun, call the 5-0 and put my hands on my head waiting in a very non-threatening manner for the fuzz to come.
    :patriot:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have said in other posts how i will always run if that is an available option, because i don't want the hassle of going to court and dealing with a bunch of BS for them to determine i did a "good shoot". I highlighted in red a problem i have with your post.

I am not an expert on case law, or even a leo, but i am of the opinion that if i have to draw my weapon, it is going bang.

There is such a thing as a continuum of force. IF you have to draw your gun and fire immediately then as long as the shooting is justified you're fine other than the subsequent legal and civil issues you may face, not to mention whatever mental issues you personally may have (some will have none, some will have plenty). But IF you draw your weapon and the threat diminishes or goes away then everyone has a much better day.

While no one should ever threaten deadly force without fully intending to carry through with it, far, far more defensive uses of a handgun occur with no shots being fired as a result, and this is a good thing for all involved. If you draw your weapon and the bad guy backs down and runs away, chances are pretty good you'll be going home that evening and nothing further will happen to you. If you draw your weapon and shoot someone, no matter how justified, chances are much better that your gun will be confiscated, you will be spending money to hire a lawyer, and your risk of it being deemed a bad shoot are much greater, resulting in potential criminal and civil liability. Furthermore, if witnesses say that the bad guy was threatening you and continued to do so even after you pulled your gun and ordered him to stop then you have a much greater defense in court if you were justified in pulling your weapon at all. If they say that you pulled your weapon and the guy started to turn away and you fired then your defense is weakened. Sure, tactically there are times when draw and fire immediately is the only option. But there are far more times when displaying a weapon with EVERY intention of using it will defuse the situation.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I highlighted in red a problem i have with your post.

And so did I...

I am not an expert on case law, or even a leo, but i am of the opinion that if i have to draw my weapon, it is going bang. I rationale this because drawing a gun, and not using it is a threat, and threatening someone with a gun is a felony....

Be warned, if you make me draw my firearm...i WILL shoot you, probably more than once, and then i will be a good little citizen unload my gun, call the 5-0 and put my hands on my head waiting in a very non-threatening manner for the fuzz to come.

IANAL, but this could probably be construed as pre-meditation to commit murder regardless of the actions of your assailant.

A little scenario for you to think about:

Joe Dirtbag manages to get within 15 feet of you, stops and pulls out a knife and tells you he is going to cut you for the fun of it. You instantly decide to draw and fire, but Joe recognizes the motion you make and drops the knife and raises his hands in between the time your hand touches your weapon and you get the muzzle pointed at him. Staying true to what you posted, you Mozambique him; two to the chest, one to the head...leaves Joe Dirtbag thoroughly dead. The witness that you didn't notice testifies that you fired on a now unarmed and surrendering man.

Congratulations, your refusal to adjust your response to the changing situation, your steadfast adherence to your "doctrine", and the fact that you posted it on an open forum has earned you a new room-mate...

Prison.mid-size.jpg
    :gaychase:

Needless to say, I think planning to inflexibly adhere to the text in red above is a very BAD idea.
    Shibumiseeker has made a very good case as to why... :twocents:

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Never have, earnestly hope I never need to. Did pull from the holster once, late at night, while my wife and I were out west camping. We were hiking a trail and something big pushed out of the brush right behind us. Thought it might possibly be a bear, less likely a bad guy. Turned out to be a deer. We had already ate, so I holstered back up.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    A few years back, I was walking out of the store and my daughter got in the passenger seat. A man approached me asking for a ride and he seemed to be drunk. I told him no and he proceeded to ask me again. Agian I said no and walked to the drivers side. He then walked over to the passanger side door where my daughter was sitting and said "Oh come on, it's just up the road" and tried to open the door but it was locked. I walked around the front of my jeep and pulled up my shirt to expose my Glock 23 and said "you best get lost". Well.. let's just say a black man turned white when he seen it. He turned and stumbled away down the road.

Can't say what I would have done if he opened the door where she was sitting though.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Had to expose my 1911 once. Guy bugged out before the barrel left the holster. It was a bad situation and I was stupid for putting myself in it, but in the heat of the moment I felt I had to put myself in it. I'm just thankful I didn't have to fire on the guy, he was really drunk and didn't quite know what was going on but he knew what a firearm looked like and decides to start shenanigans somewhere else

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Several times on duty.
    The last guy was about 2 lbs worth of Glock trigger pull from meeting his Maker.
    Fortunately he laid the rifle down before that happened. :yesway:
    None since I retired.
    Mike

Top Bottom