How many of you have actually had to draw on someone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    a guy grabbed my 38 w/out my permission,he got shot in the shoulder.someone called the police.the guy ran ,but went to the hospital.i had witnesses.no trouble at all.1982.i didnt mean to shoot but i wasnt sure if he was playing or not,his story was he was playing.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    A few years back, I was walking out of the store and my daughter got in the passenger seat. A man approached me asking for a ride and he seemed to be drunk. I told him no and he proceeded to ask me again. Agian I said no and walked to the drivers side. He then walked over to the passanger side door where my daughter was sitting and said "Oh come on, it's just up the road" and tried to open the door but it was locked. I walked around the front of my jeep and pulled up my shirt to expose my Glock 23 and said "you best get lost". Well.. let's just say a black man turned white when he seen it. He turned and stumbled away down the road.

Can't say what I would have done if he opened the door where she was sitting though.

Probably pistol whipped him, then put two in his head for looking at your daughter...

a guy grabbed my 38 w/out my permission,he got shot in the shoulder.someone called the police.the guy ran ,but went to the hospital.i had witnesses.no trouble at all.1982.i didnt mean to shoot but i wasnt sure if he was playing or not,his story was he was playing.

As you probably knew (or at least found out) lethal force is justified to retain your firearm. Was it someone you knew or had met? What kind of moron jokingly grabs someones gun? Even more insane is grabbing someone's gun that you dont know!

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    Two times for me.

Once while working a security gig I came around a corner outside a building and stumbled on a guy stashing a bloody T-shirt in a row of bushes. Drew on him, backed him off, pulled the shirt out. Gun. Or, more accurately, murder weapon.

Second was in my own house... Well, my mom's house, which was for sale at the time. I was in my early 20's. Long story short, I worked midnights and about 7am after my mom & sis had left for work, there's this beating on the door. So I wander to the foyer (took a few min, was asleep), come around the corner, and there's two dudes standing there. Luckily I had decided to grab my weapon, because the frequency of the knocking/pounding just didn't seem right.

Ended up being some dude who the realtor had shown the house to the day before, and his carpenter. When no one answered the door in the time they felt appropriate, they decided to just waltz on in so the carpenter could do an estimate. If not for the fact we were 20+ feet apart upon seeing each other, it would have gone much more poorly.

ReSS

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not on another person...

Thought I was going to have to pop a dog about 3 years ago, though. I have since been soundly flamed for my actions and choice of equipment...or lack thereof. (no OC-spray)

-J-

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Probably pistol whipped him, then put two in his head for looking at your daughter...

As you probably knew (or at least found out) lethal force is justified to retain your firearm. Was it someone you knew or had met? What kind of moron jokingly grabs someones gun? Even more insane is grabbing someone's gun that you dont know!

Not a bad idea

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I have only been carrying for 2-1/2 years so far, (I'm 23).
    until this past saturday I had never even considered it.
    Last Sat. my girlfreind and a freind were haveing a yard sale infront of my house, I was working on a neighbors truck out back. A car with several hispanics' pulled up, I decided to head up front and check on the girls. The larger guy walked up to her main table where she had her 500,000 V. taser for sale since she now carry's a P226.
    He picks it up, turns it on, cracks it once and points it at me saying something about testing it out:n00b:. I took a step back, put my right hand at 5:00 on my 228 and extended my left arm demanding that he put the taser down! He did immediatly and put his hands up infront of him saying he was just jokeing and meant no harm. I told him that was fine and appoligized for being so tense, as I took the Batteries out of it.
    In the end I did think that he was just jokeing, but at the moment it happened I felt pretty sure he was going to try to zap me and wasn't chanceing it. They ended up being her best customers of the weekend and I was banished to the backyard.:rolleyes:
    So yea it wasn't much, but it was the first time I had put my hand on my pistol with intent.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Last Sat. my girlfreind and a freind were haveing a yard sale infront of my house, I was working on a neighbors truck out back. A car with several hispanics' pulled up, I decided to head up front and check on the girls. The larger guy walked up to her main table where she had her 500,000 V. taser for sale since she now carry's a P226.
    He picks it up, turns it on, cracks it once and points it at me saying something about testing it out:n00b:. I took a step back, put my right hand at 5:00 on my 228 and extended my left arm demanding that he put the taser down! He did immediatly and put his hands up infront of him saying he was just jokeing and meant no harm. I told him that was fine and appoligized for being so tense, as I took the Batteries out of it.
    In the end I did think that he was just jokeing, but at the moment it happened I felt pretty sure he was going to try to zap me and wasn't chanceing it. They ended up being her best customers of the weekend and I was banished to the backyard.:rolleyes:

At no point did I read anything that led me to believe you were behaving inappropriately.

People seriously need to learn to respect other peoples property ESPECIALLY when that property is a weapon.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    At no point did I read anything that led me to believe you were behaving inappropriately.

People seriously need to learn to respect other peoples property ESPECIALLY when that property is a weapon.
    :yesway: Thanks, Thats how I felt. I explained to my girlfreind and her friend that one jolt from that thing and that big 'hispanic' could be driving off with her sale money and a new weapon. When I walked around I really wasn't expecting that situation to happen. It did however justify to me why I bother carrying a gun while at home and working around the yard. You just never know.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I would have done the same thing. You DON'T joke around with weapons. The flip side is that I wouldn't have left the batteries in it in the first place :)

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I would have done the same thing. You DON'T joke around with weapons. The flip side is that I wouldn't have left the batteries in it in the first place :)
    She had originaly posted a sighn on the front of the table say "ask me about shotgun and taser" I was unaware that she had brought it outside to show to her freind who asked about the sighn when she arrived. I did compare the taser with batteries to bringing the shotgun out loaded, but she didn't see the comparison quite as clear as some of us.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Great job. I'm glad you didn't have to kill anybody!

I also think a police report should have been filled (cold pizza is good anyhow). Also a tip to the media might have generated a positive report about a licensed gun owner protecting himself from an unlicensed criminal...

(snipped)

quote]

I disagree that he should have told anyone. My wife was a juror some years ago for a trial where the defendant was an elderly used-car dealer, a veteran of the Korean War, who through a set of circumstances not of his devising, had a rather large young convenience store clerk try to snatch him out of his van through his window. His attacker stopped when he saw the defendant's -legally carried- revolver in his center console (this was in the days before "Shall Issue"). According to testimony, he never brandished the weapon, but did say "Boy, you just made the worst mistake of your life."

The police were called and the convenience store clerk accused him of pulling the weapon and threatening him; his fellow employee backed him up. The Prosecutor played up his "violent" military background (40 years in the past and a military policeman) in an attempt to get a conviction - which she didn't get because my wife and some of her fellow jurors argued against it).

If you don't have to pull the trigger, or even display the weapon, why call attention to a situation where it can become a "he said - he said" situation which could rebound against the LTCH holder?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't recall actually drawing my weapon since I came to Indiana, but circa 1978 when I was a Staff Duty Officer at Ft. Lewis, my driver and I happened upon a very lightly clad soldier in the middle of the street dressed in an entrenching tool (did I mention it was February). He was walking down the street threatening anyone who got close. I had my driver run in to one of the barracks lining the street and call the MPs, while I drew my crummy S&W .38 (circa 1950 or so) and loaded it with cartridges. We followed this guy until the MPs showed up. I have to admit, I would have shot him after he threatened me the way he did the MPs, and my admiration knew no bounds when one MP holstered his pistol and tackled the guy; I wouldn't have risked that e-tool.

Back in 1970 I was driving a taxi in a Chicago suburb. I had been robbed about a week earlier and my suspicions were aroused when a guy asked to go to the same area where I had been robbed. At the time, since I wasn't old enough to have a pistol, I was carrying a bayonet. Long story short, the guy pulled a knife on me, got stabbed for his trouble, and fled. And no, I didn't report it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    So yea it wasn't much, but it was the first time I had put my hand on my pistol with intent.

a perfect opportunity wasted :D

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I ask because a few weeks ago I was leaving a pizza joint and fishing for my keys in my pocket when I looked up to see an urban looking fellow with a 4 inch blade pointed in my general direction. He proceeded to tell me, in an urban tone, that I had made a mistake being a color not similar to his and in his neighborhood and now I would have to pay for my mistake.(I'm sure you can interpret what he actually said)
    He then proceeded to tell me he would be confiscating my wallet, phone, and dinner. After this, I told him he could have my wallet, and reached for my back pocket, returning with my G27 that happened to be near my wallet in location. Had he not at that point turned and ran, he would probably be dead at this point, but I am not going to shoot anyone in the back(unless they happen to be unaware of my presence and attacking someone else). After this incident I went home and ate dinner. No I did not file a police report because A: I did not want my food to be cold, and B: It's not like this guy didn't look just like the other 14 people in the dollar store next to the pizza place, and I doubt even the most diligent police work would not turn up any results. I am sure, however, that this fellow will probably think twice before approaching someone like that.
    Anyway, this all got me thinking, how many people actually have drawn on someone? I'm sure it is not common, and none of my friends have ever done it, but surely others have. Anyone here?

was this after you were at my brothers house?? glad you didn't have to put another notch on your belt lol. sometime people even criminals aren't as stupid as they appear.

blah i see it was the glock not the h/k, was curious how you liked the holster under pressure :) again glad it all worked out for ya brother

gearjammer21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    2 Attempted car jacking's, the first was before I was armed. The black male reached in and grabbed my neck to pull me out of the car. I grabbed his arm, put my right foot down and let go of his arm around 30mph. The next time I had my .40 S&W and a much greater awareness of whats happening around myself. When I got to the intersection(2 lanes each direction plus turn lane) I noticed two black males, one on each side of the street, pointing at me, I stop short, to much traffic to drive out of this like before, the one on my right is moving toward me faster than the one on my left and his hand just went into his left jacket pocket. My window is down, he's ten feet away, he can't get his gun out of his pocket but his mouth keeps going, until he see's my S&W is pointed at his vital organs. I have never heard a man scream so loud for so long while running in my entire life!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Glad to know I am not the only one who carries even while at home doing yard work. Although I mainly carry more because of wildlife of 4 legged kind more then anything else.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    went to a pawn shop, to redeem some some items, A clerk yells "stop that guy!" he had just tried on $400 worth of gold, and ran away.. I ran to my car and got my Charter Arms .38 and headed him off at the pass (ok I went around a building) and surprised him and got the gold back...let him go.... he was unarmed...they caught him later. The pawn shop offered my a 10% discount off stuff there as a reward, told 'em no thanks.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    2 Attempted car jacking's, the first was before I was armed. The black male reached in and grabbed my neck to pull me out of the car. I grabbed his arm, put my right foot down and let go of his arm around 30mph. The next time I had my .40 S&W and a much greater awareness of whats happening around myself. When I got to the intersection(2 lanes each direction plus turn lane) I noticed two black males, one on each side of the street, pointing at me, I stop short, to much traffic to drive out of this like before, the one on my right is moving toward me faster than the one on my left and his hand just went into his left jacket pocket. My window is down, he's ten feet away, he can't get his gun out of his pocket but his mouth keeps going, until he see's my S&W is pointed at his vital organs. I have never heard a man scream so loud for so long while running in my entire life!

*Shudders* Car jackings...

I had a couple kids, probably 14-16 years old, try something once. Its a scary situation, lots of adrenaline. One ran out in front of my car, and I saw the other running at me on the drivers side. I accelerated rather than stopping, laying on the horn. The kid running at me did not get out of the way. He jumped on the hood of my car, nearly tripped, took a step on my windshield and jumped, launching himself off of the back of my car. I sped off.

My passenger screamed so loud. I dont think I have ever heard anyone scream that loud. Right in my ear too. She has a shrill voice. It was painful. I know I shouted for her to dial 911, but apparently she dropped her phone in the commotion.

HD1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Henderson, KY
    went to a pawn shop, to redeem some some items, A clerk yells "stop that guy!" he had just tried on $400 worth of gold, and ran away.. I ran to my car and got my Charter Arms .38 and headed him off at the pass (ok I went around a building) and surprised him and got the gold back...let him go.... he was unarmed...they caught him later. The pawn shop offered my a 10% discount off stuff there as a reward, told 'em no thanks.

Good on you man. But a measly 10% reward lol....wow. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom