How do you carry your handgun while in a car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyTre

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Jasper County
    I carry a S&W 638 on my ankle in a Galco ankle holster when taking a long trip it is easy to transfer to a pocket holster when I stop and it is easy to draw while seated. Carrying a Cw-9 IWB doesn't bother me but it would be slow to get to. I have carried a Ruger GP-100 in the cross draw with a simply rugged holster and felt comfortable with the time it would take to reach it. On long trips I used to just put my pistol in between the passenger seat and the console but realized this probably isn't the best idea.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I can't stand wearing holsters while driving. I'm a fairly big boy and can't find a comfortable one unless I go the ankle route.

My Ram 1500 doesn't have a very good place to keep it. So I keep it in a small case in the door/map holder. Not the most convenient when I need it and need to find an alternative.

Brother-in-law has a Ridgeline. The center console slides apart and he mounted a metal holster inside there, quite the Batmobile setup.

I'm a fairly big boy and I drive a Ram 1500. My Glock 27 hasn't been uncomfortable in a Serpa while driving. I usually just slide it around a little once I get in to find the most comfortable position. I carried a S&W 686 4" in a cheap holster small of my back and could get comfortable...sort of. I hate those pockets on the doors. I usually keep a couple knives in reach and I've got 2 or 3 on the drivers side door pocket and my big hands can be a tight fit while trying to grab something and pull it out of the door pocket.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I was going to comment on it previously but didn't. You are way more likely to be in a car accident than have to use your pistol for self defense, but of course should plan for both. Anything inside a vehicle during a crash become a missile. Your pistol if not on your body could end up anywhere. Yesterday we got a light snow dusting here and I was out with Momma doing some shopping. We fish tailed a bit. My Bag of Evil, all approx 30 lbs of it was behind me in the seat. When we got out at Wally World I found it jammed between the rear of Momma's seat and the rear one. Just a thought.- George

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    The same way I carry when I am walking or doing other things is the same way I carry when I am in my vehicle. I carry owb or iwb with nice leather holsters.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    I've got a little cubby that my little snubbie fits into. It's ready to go, when I park; it goes into my pocket.

Hope that helps.

Frazier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    I carry a 1911 in a belt slide from Uncle Mike. Goes in there in the AM, comes out at bed time. In fact, I put the barrel in my right hip pocket; keeps it from showing. Just a thought......

Powersn130

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Mine is always out of the holster in between the driver seat an middle console when I'm drivin....just seems to me that it's way easier to draw from there rather than iwb while in ur car

match14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    South Central IN.
    I got tired of re-holstering, so I just leave my piece in the 4 o'clock position that I normally carry it in. For me, I don't think that it would be much slower than trying to fish it out of the center consol or glove box (depends on vehicle).

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    Depends on what I'm carrying. If its my G27, it's on my right side in the 3-4 o'clock position. If it's my Taurus 85, either same position IWB or on my left ankle. I was thinking about bolting up a shotgun rack to the roll bar right above my head in my Jeep when it warms up some.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Daily carry is an LCP in a Desantis Nemesis holster (front pocket). When in the truck, I typically (sometimes I forget) remove LCP from holster and place on the front passenger seat, just underneath my large daytimer book.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I'm a big guy, but what works for me is a Crossbreed supertuck with a Glock 21 at the 3:00 position or 2:30. Can pull it easily and reholster all while seated. I like Clint Smith:"its a big gun when I put it on and its a big gun when I draw it".

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Usually leave it in it's holster at 4 o'clock, sometimes I put it under my left leg

In really rough parts of town I have it in my hand;)

SheriffMedic95

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Indiana
    I store my gun just to the right of my steering wheel right by my right knee. I took a black hawk holster, removed the backing which leaves you 3 screw holes. I then took off the panel beneath the steering column and drilled 3 tiny holes which allowed me to perfectly mount my gun. It is not visible from the driver's side window and with dark tint, the passengers side cannot see it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom