How do you carry your handgun while in a car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I want that! I was thinking something totally different on the on the highlighted part... ;)

I use a IWB carry holster. If you open carry I always thought that the Blackhawk quick disconnect system would be ideal for switching from holster on your hip to mounted in the car and back.

Here is a video of how it works:

YouTube - SerpaQD

Here is what the male and female parts look like:

BlackhawkSerpaQuickDisconnectKit.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I tend to buy 3-slot holsters so that I have options while carrying in a vehicle.

In the summer...I typically carry RH hip with something to cover it....or in a cargo pocket...and sometimes in an ankle holster...if I'm wearing long pants, such as in church.

In the winter (and this is where the 3-slot holster comes in handy) I tend to carry cross-draw while wearing a coat. This lets me unzip my coat part way, while I'm in the car, and still have full access to my pistol without having to fight through a coat pulled over the top my my pistol, which is strapped down under a seatbelt. I've been it doing this for years...:cool:

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    in car carry

Ok here is my secret i have a 2010 Impala and a 2004 Ford Explorer. On both vehicles below the steering wheel, is a gap between the steering column and the cover that is under it. I take my fobus paddel and slide it right in the gap there is a lip on the inside of the dash cover It woks great. Easy for on and off.

I have also been thinking about for a more perminate set up with the Fobus roto-belt holster and a nylon belt in the same area.

The weapon is actually concealed very very well in both of those vehicles.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    A comfortable holster is the key. I carry my Charter Arms .44 Bulldog in a Tangua forward tilt belt holster. No problem when in the drivers seat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    For those that carry IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock, do you find it still tears up the seat a bit? (Or for lefties like me over between 8-9o'clock)

I'm not a big guy, so maybe it is just me. Plus my seats wrap around a bit... Even at with my Crossbreed Qwikclip at an FBI cant I find the end of the grip of my CZ-P01 rubs the seat.
    Don Hume OWB thumb break holster at 3-4 o'clock for my Sig P229. And no, it is not uncomfortable nor does it tear up the seat in my F-250 (cloth seats) or our Vue (leather seats).

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    3" Kimber in .45 with slim-line grips in a Crossbreed supertuck worn at 2 Oclock. Never take it off when I drive so I never have to re-holster outside the car.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Usually my Kahr P380 in driver's door pocket and/or 4" 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa II at about 8 o' clock... Being a lefty has its advantages when armed and driving.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Your gun REALLY NEEDS to be attached to your body. All of the guys who say they stick in a door pocket or between the console and seat, in an accident that gun will become an airborne missile capable of killing someone if it strikes them in the head. Just think about it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I usually carry OWB in a Kramer scabbard and find that is comfortable while driving and carrying a 1911. I've sometimes clipped a Fobus holster to the door pocket and that works well for my Bersa 380. The Fobus also could be jammed between the seats of my truck to hold it securely and yet be accessible.

Drail makes a good point though regarding the gun in an accident. I had not thought much about it flying around, but have wondered if it would disappear if my vehicle were towed while I was taken to a hospital. Makes me rethink off-body carry all together.

Does anyone carry with a shoulder holster? I carry a Bersa 9 in a shoulder holster and that should be great while driving. I've been thinking about buying a good quality shoulder holster for my 1911s.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Does anyone carry with a shoulder holster? I carry a Bersa 9 in a shoulder holster and that should be great while driving. I've been thinking about buying a good quality shoulder holster for my 1911s.

Shoulder holster guy over here! About the only way I carry when I am driving for a long distance (2+ hours).

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My cold weather jacket is nylon with the inner pocket over the heart where a MP-3 would go. Works for me. Easy in a drive by to steer with the left hand after engaging the automatic window control for your drivers window, drawing your Glock, and saying YO Homey Whats Up?!? Works real good at most fast food drive in windows in the suburbs, down town the cashiers just look at you and ask if you want fries with your order.

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    underdash i install a c clamp style holder like a mop or broom clamp mounted on the wall and its out of sight but i am the only one that ever drivers my vehicle

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Keep my ccw in the same place as when i am walking unless its on a long trip, then in the center console or door frame.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I carry a Sig P239 in a Crossbreed Supertuck @ 3-4 o'clock.

I just leave it there while driving, it is perfectly comfortable even for long drives. I usually tuck whatever cover garment I am wearing behind it to make the draw easier. Now that it is winter time, I leave my LCP in my coat pocket which is right at the center of my chest. Otherwise it is pretty impossible to get to the Sig under a coat (in or out of the car).

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I carry CC weapons the same way in the vehicle as out of it. I carry a EDC bail out bag just about every time I'm in the vehicle. It sits with in reach in between the seats or on the passenger seat with the strap towards me to assist easier retreat from the vehicle. In this position I also have access to the handgun inside. The handgun inside my Maxpedition jumbo versipak is secured be a blackhawk serpa velcroed in palce inside the CCW pocket. On my hip sits my primary cc G26. Makes life easier to keep things consistent.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I keep it wedged in between the seat and center console in a cheap nylon holster.

Keeping a handgun wedged between the seat and console, especially in a nylon holster is a BAD idea, in the event of accident. As much as we try to avoid them, accidents can happen and a one pound plus, handgun hurtling through the air in your car at 60 mph is very dangerous. If anything, the holster should be permantly anchored with a thumbstrap over the top to prevent such an occurance. Even a sudden jarring with a permanently anchored holster could knock a pistol loose from its holster unless there is a strap to hold it in place.

Top Bottom