How do you carry your handgun while in a car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I get in the car with my guns in the same place as I always carry them. Today it is an N-Frame strong side in a J.I.T. and a K-Frame weakside in a J.I.T. worn for cross or twist draw. These are both OWB and are completely concealed by clothing. Even in my Mini Cooper S they don't cause a problem. Guess I have been carrying so long they just fit me well...

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I suggest whatever you are doing you practice getting out of your vehicle and deploying your pistol, as well as deploying it from the inside. Be sure to us a visual stimulus. Carrying loose off the body in a vehicle is never recommended. Just got done doing a road trip from here (Mt Crumpet) to Raleigh NC. 8 hrs down, and 5 back. the entire time I wore my G19 in a MIC holster in the APEX position. Very comfortable and I will be doing a review soon. Most belt holsters are designed as great carry options when you are standing up right, but are often poor deployment options when you are seated- George

Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I found some magnets at the Indy 1500 a few months ago. 2 smalls screw into the side of the console holds it in place and my Ruger attaches right to it. works in conjunction with a quick release Velcro strap to ensure it doesnt pop off on big bumps. But the magnet itself holds it in place pretty secure and is coated to keep from messing up the finish.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    If you dont want to carry on your body when in the car, there are plenty of holsters out there made for the car. They mount inside your console or on the side of the console or inside the glove box. Much safer way than leaving loose inside the car.

I have a Glock 22 and a Ruger LCP. I don't like to take the Glock on long trips it does get uncomfortable in the car in my Blackhawk Serpa holster.
    I carry the LCP in a Nemesis pocket holster comfortable but a little slow on the draw from a sitting position especially when wearing jeans.

I am looking at the car holster now to securely mount the Glock in easy reach and can keep the LCP in the pocket just in case.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I find carrying in the car depends a lot on the holster. I drive a lot and I find if I am carrying OWB I am fairly comfortable. IWB is a different story depending on the weapon. I am like several other posters here in that I generally stick my weapon in the center console if I am going to be driving awhile and reholster when I arrive. Obviously if you carry IWB with your shirt tuck reholstering can be a big pain.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I would not carry anything bigger than my Kel Tec P380AT off body in the car on a magnet or other holster.- George

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Wow. So strange people carry guns in cars differently than they do on the street.

Thats a lot of.. jigglydo getting it on and off and .. blah. Not for me.

The answer for me is, same way as I do normally.

1 O clock, 1911 cmdr, AIWB in a CCC Shaggy.

farva118

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Lake County
    My pistol doesn't bug me in my crossbreed supertuck, but if I have to leave it in the truck, it sits in the locked glove box.

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I can't stand wearing holsters while driving. I'm a fairly big boy and can't find a comfortable one unless I go the ankle route.

My Ram 1500 doesn't have a very good place to keep it. So I keep it in a small case in the door/map holder. Not the most convenient when I need it and need to find an alternative.

Brother-in-law has a Ridgeline. The center console slides apart and he mounted a metal holster inside there, quite the Batmobile setup.

Top Bottom