How do you carry your handgun while in a car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm 290 lbs & my XDm rides comfortably in my MTAC holster at 3:30 position. I even carry an extra mag in an IWB Crossbreed Mag Holster over at the 8:00 position. All in a Chevy Cobalt...so, I'm not quite sure of where your discomfort might be coming from, unless of course you're carrying an even larger firearm on even larger hips in an even smaller car...

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I can't carry at work so when I get in the truck I place my M&P 40c under the center console with the holster. I OC unless I am heading into a public place where I don't want the hassle. So I have two holsters in the truck.

I have one of the gizmos for putting an IWB holster under the steering column. It works great and keeps the pistol right where it needs to be. When I open the door it is right where everyone can see it. I don't leave anything attached to it because snoopy people can see it too easily. Maybe if I had a big, jacked up four wheeler or a low profile sports car it would work all the time.

If it's not a trip to work, I keep it at about 3:30. No problems on short trips. When we went to Florida for holiday it moved all over the place.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'm 290 lbs & my XDm rides comfortably in my MTAC holster at 3:30 position. I even carry an extra mag in an IWB Crossbreed Mag Holster over at the 8:00 position. All in a Chevy Cobalt...so, I'm not quite sure of where your discomfort might be coming from, unless of course you're carrying an even larger firearm on even larger hips in an even smaller car...

I carry mine usually in the 3:01 position...

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I carry IWB while driving and haven't had any real discomfort - there was a little initially and I just moved to about 4:30ish and I was good. M&P full size in a Crossbreed Supertuck or Mills Tactical convertible kydex.

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    IWB 3:00 in a Raven Concealment holster. and it is a G22 WITH surefire x300 on it so it is not a small gun. If I go on long trips I will put it in the center console, glove box, or in the small locking gun safe under my seat.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Crossdraw. I drive every day for a living and I've tried everything. A crssdraw rig is totally comfortable and allows a fast draw while seated. If the gun is not on your person all of the time it won't be there when you really need it.

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    For those that carry IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock, do you find it still tears up the seat a bit? (Or for lefties like me over between 8-9o'clock)

I'm not a big guy, so maybe it is just me. Plus my seats wrap around a bit... Even at with my Crossbreed Qwikclip at an FBI cant I find the end of the grip of my CZ-P01 rubs the seat.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I do NOT unholster my weapon when getting into or out of the car.

Way too many chances for an ND while handling the weapon.

I either remove the entire holster/firearm together and put it in the console or I "tough it out".

It's amazing at how much more comfortable it is to drive with a pistol holstered IWB since I've lost 55lbs.

-J-

How true this is. I've lost about 25 lbs in the past 7 months, and IWB is MUCH more comfortable. It doesn't change the fact that, with winter here, having it IWB makes it all but un-gettable with a winter coat and seat belt on.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The holster is not the only important thing.
    If you trying to carry a gun too large its not going to be comfortable even with a really good holster.

Anyway I carry a compact pistol in a IWB holster at 4 o'glock ... I mean 4 o'clock sorry.
    Its comfortable in any position for me and I can draw from both hands should I need to.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It depends on the carry method and the car. In the past three months I have driven four different cars as "daily drivers" and that had a huge impact. No two car seats are the same, or so it would seem.

When I was driving the Miata, I was carrying about 330, and I would run the seat belt buckle under the grip, so the gun could still be accessed if needed. It was reasonably comfortable, and it wasnt putting any extra wear on the seat or the belt. I did notice that my mag carrier, which I carried right above my rear left pocket was wearing a nice hole. Not cool. The seats were going to be replaced next year anyways, so I didnt sweat it (then the car met its untimely demise)

In my fiance's Focus, I had to switch to cross draw for OWB, and for IWB I was leaving it where it was. I couldnt run the belt under the grip because the buckle was higher. I was still able to access the weapon if needed, but not nearly as quick.

In the Civic, it was similar to the Focus. I could not do OWB unless it was on cross draw. I also had to switch to a 1045 position IWB, as I could not run the belt under the grip, and I could not access the gun in IWB with the belt over it.

In my G35 I can do cross draw or IWB in a 3:00 position and a very forward cant. Again, that allows me access to the gun. I could probably do OWB at the 330 position, but I am very concerned about wear on the car. I wont use my leather IWB mag carrier that wore a hole in the Miata's seats, for obvious reasons. I have also purchased a Remora "Clipless" IWB holster. What I like with this is it is very easy to take off and put on, and the gripy texture opens up some nice possibilities. I have been sticking it under my right leg, and it sits great there. I can draw easily, its comfortable, and it doesnt interfere with driving. This is my favorite solution so far.

Last little thoughts, I use Fobus holsters for OWB, and run of the mill leather (and the Remora now) for IWB. I of course really like my shoulder holster for when I am going to be in the car for a long time (2+ hours).

Top Bottom