• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Did you sell at the bottom and never put money back in?

Unfortunately, this is exactly how most amateurs handle investing.

Step 1, Buy the Top: "I heard today from my neighbor's brother's barber that the market is up huge lately. I better get in on that action before it's too late!"

Step 2, Sell the Bottom: "Oh no, I bought the top and now it's crashing. My portfolio is already down 12%. I'd better sell or I'll lose everything!"

Step 3, Never Again!: "The market is rigged. It's a fool's game! I'm never falling for that again! Good old 0% savings accounts and gold bars for me, thank you! Although, my neighbor's brother's barber's CPA mentioned today that the market is up huge lately..."

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    I'm probably gonna catch some flack for this, but... Don't have kids. Get a decent job. Marry a smart gal with a decent job. Don't buy boats, RVs, expensive cars, motorcycles, ATVs, golf carts, and all the other stuff people spend money on. Next thing you know, all your income is discretionary.
    I won’t give you flak, but I did most of that. Married a smart, ambitious, faithful woman whose first job as a teacher in 1981 paid like $9000.00 Worked her way up to School District Administrator in the low 6 figures. We’ve had 2 lake homes, a bass boat, always a motorcycle, and horses. No RV or golfing. Always lived below our means. Bought 8 houses and moved for her promotions, bought a few fixer uppers. Sold 3 houses right through the housing crunch and even made some money. She’s a gun gal, it helps to marry an enabler in that department.

I will admit that we’ve been blessed and the Good Lord took care of us a few times I was uncertain how things would work out. I’m not sure that moving to New Mexico was one of our better ideas, but we are both retired, living close to our 3 year old grandson, and live in one of the few more conservative parts of the state. So, other than a few trips to Albuquerque a month, life’s pretty good. Have slowed down on the gun purchases as it’s difficult to find a good place to shoot out here, and not really shooting what we have.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Sadly , this is what the market does, it flushes away your investment earnings every so often so that only the big boys make the real gains. I didn't have much control over my 401k investment options I certainly didn't have the stop limit sell options. You def don't sell when the market crashes, that is when you buy. again can't do that with a 401k, at least not most. YMMV
    Not sure what 401k options you have going on, but mine offers many different options. Generally my point was don't sell during downturn unless you absolutely have to, let the 401 ride and keep investing.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I'm pretty sure if I lost a bunch of my pension, I would recall what Local I was paying dues to.
    There were a lot of people at one of the steel mills (U.S. Steel or Bethlehem??) that lost their pension and benefits. My husband had two cousins that had worked their whole life there and retired. Both had health issues and were depending on the insurance. Both had their pension cut in half and all insurance benefits just gone. They both had to go back to work at other jobs just to survive.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    There were a lot of people at one of the steel mills (U.S. Steel or Bethlehem??) that lost their pension and benefits. My husband had two cousins that had worked their whole life there and retired. Both had health issues and were depending on the insurance. Both had their pension cut in half and all insurance benefits just gone. They both had to go back to work at other jobs just to survive.
    Thanks,
    Thats disappointing and interesting.
    We had Sparrows Point Bethlehem in Baltimore, working for Otis out of the Baltimore office we would have repair calls at the different buildings all the time. Ive never heard of any of that happening. And Ive never heard of a local having access to ones insurance and pension.
    I wonder if those that lost pensions, the company had control of them to do as they wish?
    Most trade unions you work for the Trade Union and not the company under a Union Contract like The Auto Workers.
    We had a family member that worked for Victor Comptometer for 20+ years and he lost his pension when it folded. But that was a private company also.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    To answer the OP’s question: I personally broke my butt and worked hard; even started my own firm at one point!
    Through all those years I retained a very good Certified Financial Planner to help manage and grow my investments. I believe this is a key factor working towards retirement; retain a CFP early on and work with him/her.
    After 38 years doing what I did and being careful about money, investments and debt, I retired in September, 2022.
    I prepared as much as possible for retirement and being able to have some toys after retirement.
    I’m very, very grateful to the man in charge of heaven for everything! :bowdown:
    Like you, I worked and paid tax for 52 yrs. I listened to a few of my elders along ago. And like you I pay a guy that has done very well for my family, my children and myself. Investments aren't my world, they are Carls world.

Dholcomb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2022
    Indiana
    Many gun enthusiasts here have been working on their collection for decades. Slow and steady additions add up over time. We could read/quote/write books on finance, but my recommendation is go slow, buy quality, and do not over extend yourself financially on the hobby causing forced sales. With time you’ll have more than you want to take care of.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Side work bought most of mine. My wife and I have always lived very conservative. Always money for needs first, then savings, then projects. Once in a bit I will put a side check into savings for a vacation that we don't take but mostly I put my side gig cash into my safe.

Top Bottom