• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Like the OP, the current administration has not been kind to my business. These past 3 years make me long for 2008-2010.

I have learned to do side hustles to put a little extra cash in the pocket, for toys, trips, Christmas money, ect.

Still, if things slow down much more I may need to start an Only Fans page. And if you have met me, you know that will not be pretty.

a1178b50-9238-4f70-9322-db0cd19529b3_text.gif

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I would suggest with you having a welding background that you start with the
    Union Skilled Trades across the river from you.
    Like Local 20 Elevators.

Or look here.
    I'm 62, and have bad knees, and hands, was approved for disability, so I am making more than SS, and we are downsizing to an apartment....and I work in the gun department......

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Don't buy boats, RVs, expensive cars, motorcycles, ATVs, golf carts, and all the other stuff people spend money on
    Kind of close... You can buy them, but not the newest or top of the line. (you don't need all of them) If you take your time and wait out the deals you can do well. Same with firearms. Do you need the fancy $2500 1911? Or the one on sale for $400? If you want the better one trade up or catch it when it is in the teens.

We are not the traveler people. Don't do a lot of vacations or hotels. I work on my own vehicles.

People look at our vehicles. Wife has a nice car, I have a couple trucks. We got them from down south rust free. Why drive a 2020 or newer just to impress the guy at the light??

I have not done the Dave Ramsey plan. But after listening to him, it has pretty much been my way anyway. No credit cards, all you are doing is paying the banks. No car loans, House paid off. When your paycheck comes in, have it auto deposit into a Roth and some into savings. (or special savings, for Christmas, toys, another vehicle, etc)

I do some side deals to help people out. I buy parts and they pay me for parts and labor and the money goes into the fund.

Most people cannot come up with $500 for a "emergency" without borrowing. But yet, see them everyday at 5 bucks coffee, high dollar energy drinks, Fast food all the time. It is like they have the urge to make their bank account drop to under $20 on the day before payday.

I kind of left my job when the doctor said I had to. Over a year ago. Income got cut to less than half. Investments are stalled. But doing pretty good. Savings down a bit. (ask our local suppressor dealer, lol)

Guys, What does Dave Ramsey say?? $20 a week from 20 to age 70, invested well will give you about 4 million. And people spend $20 a week on pizza and $20 a week on lottery tickets, hoping for the dream. (and that pizza does not have pineapple!!!)

If you are struggling check out Dave Ramsey. Not just his plan, but also has team spirit to get you motivated. He has several things he teaches. Paying off debt, Savings, retirement. Sorry to push him, but not many places teach you to handle money. Everyone thinks they are better than they are in 2 things. Driving and money. LOL Probably more.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'm probably gonna catch some flack for this, but... Don't have kids. Get a decent job. Marry a smart gal with a decent job. Don't buy boats, RVs, expensive cars, motorcycles, ATVs, golf carts, and all the other stuff people spend money on. Next thing you know, all your income is discretionary.
    You had me until motorcycles… :D

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Kind of close... You can buy them, but not the newest or top of the line. (you don't need all of them) If you take your time and wait out the deals you can do well. Same with firearms. Do you need the fancy $2500 1911? Or the one on sale for $400? If you want the better one trade up or catch it when it is in the teens.

We are not the traveler people. Don't do a lot of vacations or hotels. I work on my own vehicles.

People look at our vehicles. Wife has a nice car, I have a couple trucks. We got them from down south rust free. Why drive a 2020 or newer just to impress the guy at the light??

I have not done the Dave Ramsey plan. But after listening to him, it has pretty much been my way anyway. No credit cards, all you are doing is paying the banks. No car loans, House paid off. When your paycheck comes in, have it auto deposit into a Roth and some into savings. (or special savings, for Christmas, toys, another vehicle, etc)

I do some side deals to help people out. I buy parts and they pay me for parts and labor and the money goes into the fund.

Most people cannot come up with $500 for a "emergency" without borrowing. But yet, see them everyday at 5 bucks coffee, high dollar energy drinks, Fast food all the time. It is like they have the urge to make their bank account drop to under $20 on the day before payday.

I kind of left my job when the doctor said I had to. Over a year ago. Income got cut to less than half. Investments are stalled. But doing pretty good. Savings down a bit. (ask our local suppressor dealer, lol)

Guys, What does Dave Ramsey say?? $20 a week from 20 to age 70, invested well will give you about 4 million. And people spend $20 a week on pizza and $20 a week on lottery tickets, hoping for the dream. (and that pizza does not have pineapple!!!)

If you are struggling check out Dave Ramsey. Not just his plan, but also has team spirit to get you motivated. He has several things he teaches. Paying off debt, Savings, retirement. Sorry to push him, but not many places teach you to handle money. Everyone thinks they are better than they are in 2 things. Driving and money. LOL Probably more.
    It's surprisingly simple, but the system teaches and encourages folks to be broke...

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Started with a beat-up Remington 870 trap. Shot it a season and refinished it sold it for $300 more than I paid for it.55 year later and 39 trap guns bought and sold for,$143,000, all my remaining guns are profit. Just keep saving and up grading.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    It's surprisingly simple, but the system teaches and encourages folks to be broke...
    It is.....on paper. The hard part is application. People have a hard time with self discipline and simply saying "no" to themselves
    And how many times have we said "no" before but continue to think about it or better yet, continue to look at it. Whether on our phones or laptop etc. We're our own worst enemies a lot of the time

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana

I like Ramsey, but the catch is the “ invested well” 2000 killed my 401k, 2008 killed it again. The place I worked voted in a union, they took over our retirement plans….. the return is dismal. I got lucky or smart and pulled out just before the covid crash and got back in and made up some losses but it ain’t even close to 4 million.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I like Ramsey, but the catch is the “ invested well” 2000 killed my 401k, 2008 killed it again. The place I worked voted in a union, they took over our retirement plans….. the return is dismal. I got lucky or smart and pulled out just before the covid crash and got back in and made up some losses but it ain’t even close to 4 million.
    How did the union take your 401k? Or was it a seperate pension plan? Our union gave up our pensions in 2004 for what they call cash balance which they can't tounch thankfully.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    How did the union take your 401k? Or was it a seperate pension plan? Our union gave up our pensions in 2004 for what they call cash balance which they can't tounch thankfully.
    I don't think that's what he said. He said 2000 and 2008 killed his 401K (twice). I think the union thing was a separate issue.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I fortunately can buy anything when ever i want. I have one rule, if I can't pay cash, I don't buy it. We live well below our means. My base pay can cover every bill and the mortgage, also max out my 401k. On top of that I work enough OT to double my income. (Still have a home life) The misses doesn't work yet but when she does that will be awesome.

I preach this to everyone! The utility industry is the bluecollar lottery, so if you don't want to go to college but want to make well over 100k look into it.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have a good job that’s in high demand with a low pool of experienced people doing that kind of work. There are more Open Heart surgeons than people who do what I do. So a good job and living wayyy below my means is extra disposable income after the bill are paid.
    Like others I don’t do Boats Golf Vacations RVs Gamble or drink .
    Guns and gun accessories are my only hobby. I do sometimes sell something to get something but I have a lot that I would never sell. The comments on the apprenticeships is spot on. If you work for 4 years making barely enough to live but then after training make 30-40 a hour that’s a better deal than College

Top Bottom