• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Basic strategy would dictate that surprise benefits the attacker not the defender. The defender's best strategy is deterrence. A planned surprise attack by a defender is known as an ambush and is a more advanced strategy. I guess I just prefer to stick to basics.

QFT.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I've recently started OC'ing with some regularity. So far, there has been exactly one comment made while I was carrying, and that was from a gentleman wearing an NRA cap, at the Pike Plaza road Meijer, who mentioned that he'd been carrying for 20 years and suggested covering up to avoid disturbing the sheeple (sheeple being my word, not his). I explained to him that part of my reason for OC was so people can see someone carrying a gun and not causing trouble.

I don't think he agreed but that's okay. We're allowed to disagree.

ah1g

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    I OC around the NW side of Indy with only one person asking about it. I stopped at Gatsbys on W. 71st St. with my Ruger P90 clearly visible. The owner (Tim) came up and introduced himself and asked if it was legal for me to have a gun in his bar? I said I have a LTCH in Indiana, and since he didn't have anything posted about no weapons allowed, it was legal for me to be there. Tim was very nice and said he really didn't know what the law was and thanked me for coming in.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I OC around the NW side of Indy with only one person asking about it. I stopped at Gatsbys on W. 71st St. with my Ruger P90 clearly visible. The owner (Tim) came up and introduced himself and asked if it was legal for me to have a gun in his bar? I said I have a LTCH in Indiana, and since he didn't have anything posted about no weapons allowed, it was legal for me to be there. Tim was very nice and said he really didn't know what the law was and thanked me for coming in.

Even a sign wouldn't make it illegal. Rude, perhaps, but not illegal. Now, if he asked you to leave for whatever reason, including having a weapon, and you didn't do so, that would be trespass and that would be illegal.

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    I'm the guy everyone keeps noticing in Greenwood open carrying :D. What surprises me is the fact that I have been asked by a countless number of strangers "are you a cop?" (I'm not). One time an idiot even started giving me a hard time for carrying. The guy doesn't know me and he started smarting off to me for carrying a handgun. He said " what are you carrying that thing for? Do you think that is gonna keep you safe?" I responded by saying "safer than I am without it. Have a nice day". I also had one problem with two police officers giving me a hard time and suggesting I conceal the weapon. I told them very politely that I had a permit to carry open or concealed. They let me go on my way without any further problem. I really am surprised how many people will approach someone open carrying and start asking questions. Have any of you had the same experience?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have the same experience all the time. It's a great way to teach people the right laws and that we aren't big scary people with guns. But rather friendly people who feel the need to protect ourselves.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm the guy everyone keeps noticing in Greenwood open carrying :D. What surprises me is the fact that I have been asked by a countless number of strangers "are you a cop?" (I'm not). One time an idiot even started giving me a hard time for carrying. The guy doesn't know me and he started smarting off to me for carrying a handgun. He said " what are you carrying that thing for? Do you think that is gonna keep you safe?" I responded by saying "safer than I am without it. Have a nice day". I also had one problem with two police officers giving me a hard time and suggesting I conceal the weapon. I told them very politely that I had a permit to carry open or concealed. They let me go on my way without any further problem. I really am surprised how many people will approach someone open carrying and start asking questions. Have any of you had the same experience?

Multiple times. I OC at work 99% of the time simply because its a deterrent to anyone that would prey on a small retail shop, plus my boss would rather me have it with me than leave it in the car where it would serve no purpose. The patrons of the shop often see my pistol and start asking questions about it and why I choose to carry openly.

Its a personal choice for me. I OC because I am able to.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado

I'm can't believe you have had so many problems. I go out of my way to OC. (south Indy/Greenwood area) If I'm wearing a hoody I tuck behind my gun. Most of the time I'm wearing a Boondock Saints T-shirt untucked with the side of the shirt tucked behind. I have never had someone negative approach me. I've had a couple funny looks from LE but no face to face encounters.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    After the ACT defensive pistol course four of us open carried in Terre Haute Yesterday and not a single problem.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I had an OC discussion with a buddy of mine in LE and his position was....If somebody is going to spend 50 bucks on a holster to open carry instead of hiding it under their shirt they are probably pretty comfortable handling their weapon. If something happens with bad guys maybe there will be less for me to do when I get there he is a pretty strong supporter of carry rights...he is IMPD and I think they will take just about all the help they can get with the way things are going in Indy right now.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    sounds like we're gonna need to set up an OPEN CARRY Greenwood lunch or dinner soon.

I OC all the time down here.

I've seen a few attemps to for an outing in greenwood area. Don't think anything has ever played out. Any ideas for a time and place anyone?

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    I'm can't believe you have had so many problems. I go out of my way to OC. (south Indy/Greenwood area) If I'm wearing a hoody I tuck behind my gun. Most of the time I'm wearing a Boondock Saints T-shirt untucked with the side of the shirt tucked behind. I have never had someone negative approach me. I've had a couple funny looks from LE but no face to face encounters.

Well, I've been open carrying for 22 years now. Considering the amount of time that is, I suppose I really can't complain. The incident with the police asking me to conceal my gun occurred about 10 years ago. The other incident I mentioned with regard to a stranger giving me a hard time just occurred a couple months ago. All the other encounters were innocent enough and without much negative aggression. I am just surprised how many people are willing to go up to a stranger and ask him if he is a police officer... what kind of gun is that... are you allowed to carry like that in Indiana...

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    sounds like we're gonna need to set up an OPEN CARRY Greenwood lunch or dinner soon.

I OC all the time down here.

That sounds good to me. Of course I'm guessing you guys would prefer a full service restaurant with a waitress and all, but, if anyone is interested in getting together and having the best sub sandwiches in the world... then you all should get together and make plans to eat at my restaurant. I own Jimmy John's in Greenwood. We're located in the same building as Ashley Furniture across the street from the mall. The police training center is across the street from us on Loews Blvd. I only have enough seating for 28 people, but a small group could have a good time. Of course you don't have to make big plans either. Just keep in mind the fact that Jimmy John's in Greenwood is owned by a gun totting conservative just like you. (yes, I open carry a lot, but, you won't SEE :D a gun on me when I'm in there working. After all, I want the liberals to spend money in my place too. They don't have to know they are helping me to buy more guns for my collection every time they buy a sandwich from me.) :p

Last edited:
    Top Bottom