• kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Unfortunately there are only two ways. Get your 50 quality posts or become a site supporter. You might want to check out the FAQs. They will explain how it works. Hopefully, one way or the other, the gun will still be there when you are eligible.

Take the above advice, read the forum rules and FAQs. Start posting more, you must have something to share or something to ask. When folks ask questions that are plainly spoken to in the forum rules and FAQs it can give the appearance of disinterest or even disrespect to the forum and can gather hazing type commentary from some members.
    Some of the folks here are very helpful and will put in considerable time to help you.
    Take some time to get to know your INGO fellows and share when you can, what you can.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I refuse to pile on anyone going for 50 posts if they've been here for 5 years. He clearly didn't join INGO just for the classifieds.

Sure, that's what they ALL want you to think... they're sneaky... they're like sleeper cells... Just biding their time for 5 years and then BAM! Making a run for the classifieds! :):

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    USMC-Johnson--Thanks for your kind offer, but the gun I wanted has been sold. I tried to reply to your PM, but again, couldn't do so because i don't have enough posts.

Steve

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    USMC-Johnson--Thanks for your kind offer, but the gun I wanted has been sold. I tried to reply to your PM, but again, couldn't do so because i don't have enough posts.

Steve

So are you going to disappear again for 2 years until another one pops up? Lol, just kidding (kinda).

Anyways, my advice to get 50 posts? Start a thread about something you're passionate about, that might be kinda fringe. There's bound to be SOMEBODY that is going to try and debate you on it's merits, and you can lay down a butt-whoopin' of knowledge. Before you know it, you'll have a 100 in the bag in a few days.

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    Take the above advice, read the forum rules and FAQs. Start posting more, you must have something to share or something to ask. When folks ask questions that are plainly spoken to in the forum rules and FAQs it can give the appearance of disinterest or even disrespect to the forum and can gather hazing type commentary from some members.
    Some of the folks here are very helpful and will put in considerable time to help you.
    Take some time to get to know your INGO fellows and share when you can, what you can.

Thanks for the advice. I expect it's mostly well-intentioned, but I don't think I'm going to take it. Here's why:

I have read your rules and FAQs now, and I think they must have been written by a Philadelphia lawyer on steroids. I'll bet most 50-post members of INGO, such as the one giving the advice here, haven't waded through all that stuff--especially those who just want to ask a question or buy a gun. Of course I intended no "disinterest or disrespect" to this group. I just wanted to buy a gun, and for a variety of reasons I hoped to find one in Indiana. At first blush, before one reads the "rules and FAQs" or tries to ask a serious question of the membership, INGO appears to afford the best chance to do that. (Actually, I think the only "disinterest and disrespect" displayed here came from several INGO members in response to my question--calling me a "runner" and assuming that I'd go to the trouble of faking another 30 posts just to use this site.)

Now, c'mon...I know that a few years ago I bought guns from the classifieds on this site without having 50 posts. I still own every one of them. Because of that, even though I'm not a daily visitor here, I know the rules were changed after I joined. And since that's true, all of us who were already members should have been "grandfathered" with respect to the 50-post rule. The fact that we weren't, coupled with some of the discourteous replies to my original question, reinforces my belief that—whatever kind and welcoming posts were made here—people like myself are not really encouraged to visit this site. If this is really a welcoming and friendly group, what is wrong with allowing outsiders to use the classified ads? It appears that, at some point, your moderators—or maybe a majority of members—must have decided not to allow it. Why? Are you happy with just the people you have, or actually trying to attract new members? You talk the talk about being welcoming, but then, through ridicule and exclusionary chatter, give the impression that you are a "closed club" to those of us on the outside looking in. Yes, I know I'm a "member," but not really--not until I have 50 posts in here or cough up $15 in order to be a "real" member and therefore qualified to use the most attractive features of the website. For the record, I do have the $15. I'm just philosophically uncomfortable with your policies.

I'm going to go looking for another Indiana gun-owners' website where new members are welcomed and encouraged to participate and attempts to use the classified ads or send someone a PM are not disallowed or regarded as criminal. I invite you, high-and-mighty 50+-post INGO members, to go back and read through the posts in this thread, trying to imagine what your feelings would be if you were a first-time visitor reading this.

If you really want an exclusive club that welcomes only the moderators and long-time members, knock yourselves out.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    there's a site that a few guys who got butt-hurt here a few years ago started... I believe it is indiana shooter or something of the sort... good luck !! but if you stick around you will surely learn a lot as I did after joining 6 years ago...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well, Steve, I think you missed the point. INGO exists as a gun forum for people to talk about guns and exchange ideas and information. That is the primary function. It also has a classified section for members. I can't and won't speak for the owner or moderators but I believe that they prefer this to be primarily about the forum and not the classifieds. People who join simply to use the classifieds are not really members of this community. There are plenty of places online that exist exclusively for people to buy/sell/trade guns. This isn't one of those places. This is a forum which offers classifieds as a bonus for members to use. Why would they want to have members who join only to use the classifieds. Then we might as well just use Armslist. A person that has several hundred or thousand posts has established themselves and becomes a known entity. Most people prefer to deal with someone they know at least to some degree. Having people who join just for the purposes of the classifieds ruins that. Why would they want to allow that. Also, I am pretty sure the 50 post rule has been around longer than you think. Good luck in finding whatever gun you are looking for. I am sorry this community isn't what you are looking for. Best of luck, BA

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Well I tried to stick up for him, but that last post proved me wrong. Seems he is just here for the classifieds. Let the dog pile continue.

Steve.43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Wabash, IN
    Nakinate--Yes, you are correct. This time, at least, I did come only for the classifieds. In times past, although mostly a lurker, I came to glean information from those better informed than I.

Birds Away--Thank you for a well-reasoned and intelligent reply. I think I better understand the purpose of the site. And if the classified ads are ancillary to its main purpose, it's understandable that you might not want people coming in just to see them. If all your members were as courteous as you, I probably wouldn't have gotten into this as deeply as I have.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I refuse to pile on anyone going for 50 posts if they've been here for 5 years. He clearly didn't join INGO just for the classifieds.
    Yep, that^.

I think the mods should add another "if" to the classified rule. 50 posts, site supporter, or one year as a member.
    That's not a bad idea. Wonder if they can do it...
    I know that a few years ago I bought guns from the classifieds on this site without having 50 posts.

I know the rules were changed after I joined.
    True. Back in the day, there were no classifieds rules and no language filters. The rules did change. Actually, more than once or twice! There was a weird time period when a little bit of everything was tried back and forth.
    all of us who were already members should have been "grandfathered" with respect to the 50-post rule. .
    That's a solid idea, too.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Nakinate--Yes, you are correct. This time, at least, I did come only for the classifieds. In times past, although mostly a lurker, I came to glean information from those better informed than I.

Birds Away--Thank you for a well-reasoned and intelligent reply. I think I better understand the purpose of the site. And if the classified ads are ancillary to its main purpose, it's understandable that you might not want people coming in just to see them. If all your members were as courteous as you, I probably wouldn't have gotten into this as deeply as I have.

Steve,
    INGO is like any other community. You will find people you like and people you don't. If I were king I might banish a few people so it's probably better that I am not.

Top Bottom