• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    1. Poor, poor judgment on the father's part. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but your highly embarrassed daughter insists it's not a duck, don't shoot it just yet.
    2. I don't care what kind of parent you think you are, you may just find a boy in her room. I know, because I've been that boy many times, and it was with lots of daughters that no one could ever imagine would do such a thing. Don't ever think your magnificent parenting skills can override the biological impulse in certain kids. Some kids are more sexual than others and the moral rules you've taught them all their life pale in that overwhelming moment. You may not like to think so, but it's true.
    3. All of you with teenage sons, SHOW THEM THE ARTICLE. They need to know they're playing with fire.
    4. Back to number one. If you find a boy in your teenage daughter's room and you weren't drawn there by screams (of fear, anyway) first assume - until vigorous interrogation proves otherwise - that your precious amazing virginal sweetheart of a pure-as-the-driven-snow daughter might just be a little freaky. Don't shoot him. Tell him to lie down on his stomach. He'll probably comply so quickly he might just punish himself worse than you could do it for him. They can actually break.

According to the info we have the guy had him at gun point and told him not to move, he moved anyway.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    This is the kind of crap that gives all gun owners a bad name. Simply "reaching for something" does not give permission to shoot. What ever happened to know what you're shooting? If nothings been shown then you don't know what you're shooting.

This dad should get life in prison. And those defending his actions make me uncomfortable.

Simply reaching for his pants more than likely....

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    1. Poor, poor judgment on the father's part. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but your highly embarrassed daughter insists it's not a duck, don't shoot it just yet.
    2. I don't care what kind of parent you think you are, you may just find a boy in her room. I know, because I've been that boy many times, and it was with lots of daughters that no one could ever imagine would do such a thing. Don't ever think your magnificent parenting skills can override the biological impulse in certain kids. Some kids are more sexual than others and the moral rules you've taught them all their life pale in that overwhelming moment. You may not like to think so, but it's true.
    3. All of you with teenage sons, SHOW THEM THE ARTICLE. They need to know they're playing with fire.
    4. Back to number one. If you find a boy in your teenage daughter's room and you weren't drawn there by screams (of fear, anyway) first assume - until vigorous interrogation proves otherwise - that your precious amazing virginal sweetheart of a pure-as-the-driven-snow daughter might just be a little freaky. Don't shoot him. Tell him to lie down on his stomach. He'll probably comply so quickly he might just punish himself worse than you could do it for him. They can actually break.

:yesway: What he said!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I didn't mean to leave him out. But I bet his parents are wondering where they went wrong.

Think back........way back. The lure of excitement/romance and playing the odds. We all did it. At least most of us. If some of you did not then my sympathy's.
    Who knows if she lured him or he convinced her this was a good idea. Turns out not so much.
    Has any among us stood with a gun pointed at an alleged (best term available) intruder lurking in your daughters bedroom at 0230. I can only imagine the anxiety and intense emotions this father was facing at that moment. Am I making excuses for him.....no. Should he have been put in this position by these kids.....hell no. Did it end poorly for everyone involved.....yes it did. Does anyone think Dad wishes he had a do-over........I for one am willing to bet he does.
    For any of you to say he deserves life in prison and that anyone who supports his actions "Worry's" you....well, I am scared :poop:less at that comment. Do you know what and where your kids were today. You may think you do but odds are you are wrong.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

probably comply? And when they don't... this is what happens

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    This is the kind of crap that gives all gun owners a bad name. Simply "reaching for something" does not give permission to shoot. What ever happened to know what you're shooting? If nothings been shown then you don't know what you're shooting.

This dad should get life in prison. And those defending his actions make me uncomfortable.

This is why I analyzed it in the context of what the law of self defense says instead of relying upon pure emotion such as citius does.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Do you have kids? If so, how many? I have four daughters aged 12 to 27. Sometimes the best kids do stupid things, and sometimes the best parents have bad kids. I think people with one or two kids often tend to underestimate that kids are their own people with their own personalities from the moment they are born. You can treat them all the same, give them the same opportunities, have the same rules and consequences and they'll all turn out slightly different. And sometimes one turns out very different. Plus, the part of kids' brains that gauges consequences is not fully developed until about 25.

I've never had one sneak a boy into the house (that I know of) but there's one that it wouldn't have surprised me if she did. Not because she was a bad kid, but just because her tolerance for risk was higher. I don't think she would have lied about it if caught, though.

With all this protestation, you'd think I was actually referring to you - but I wasn't. If the girl in the article is inviting teenage guys to sneak into her room for whatever reason in the dead of night and continues to think this is acceptable in the face of her upbringing and then lies about knowing this guy she's let sneak into her room in the dead of night when confronted directly about it by her father who is armed, something in her upbringing has gone drastically awry along the way, whether it be parenting in general, or discipline, or rebelliousness - whatever the reason - the train has gone off the rails. I think that's a fair assessment. Yes, all children are different. Those differences don't automatically translate into differing behaviors except in the absence of standard, rigid discipline and rules and structure. To each his own, but now this father is paying the price for protecting his daughter who apparently doesn't have the good common sense God gave to turnips.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Do you really think he was using judgmental thinking when all this came down.....really.

If you're about to shoot someone, you'd better be.

I've thought many times about the legitimate reasons I might find someone in my house in the middle of the night. The only one I could come up with is my goofy father in law might use his key to borrow something. Even though that's extremely unlikely, I discussed it with him so as to remove that possibility. Even so, I think if I got up to a bump in the night, I would mentally check to make sure it wasn't him.

If you have a teenage daughter, or for that matter, a teenage son, you have to consider the idea that they might let someone in the house some night that you don't know about. Teenagers are unpredictable by nature. They stay up late and even the best of them show bad judgment sometimes. That's part of being a teenager. So, if you have a gun by your bed and a teenager in your house, one of the possibilities you should have considered is that your precious darling might let someone in. Maybe it's your son's buddy you've never met, and he's raiding the fridge.

I'm just saying that you should have thought of those things long before you're standing there with a gun. If you've just caught a boy in your daughter's bed, the most obvious answer is that he was invited. It's not the same as finding three thugs in your living room hauling stuff outside. A little more restraint is called for and you if can't come up with it, you're not the kind of person who ought to be using a gun to defend your family.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you're about to shoot someone, you'd better be.

I've thought many times about the legitimate reasons I might find someone in my house in the middle of the night. The only one I could come up with is my goofy father in law might use his key to borrow something. Even though that's extremely unlikely, I discussed it with him so as to remove that possibility. Even so, I think if I got up to a bump in the night, I would mentally check to make sure it wasn't him.

If you have a teenage daughter, or for that matter, a teenage son, you have to consider the idea that they might let someone in the house some night that you don't know about. Teenagers are unpredictable by nature. They stay up late and even the best of them show bad judgment sometimes. That's part of being a teenager. So, if you have a gun by your bed and a teenager in your house, one of the possibilities you should have considered is that your precious darling might let someone in. Maybe it's your son's buddy you've never met, and he's raiding the fridge.

I'm just saying that you should have thought of those things long before you're standing there with a gun. If you've just caught a boy in your daughter's bed, the most obvious answer is that he was invited. It's not the same as finding three thugs in your living room hauling stuff outside. A little more restraint is called for and you if can't come up with it, you're not the kind of person who ought to be using a gun to defend your family.

All of those things work for me. I have confronted my son coming in late with a gun in my hand. Never shot him. Wanted to a few times but never did. Teenagers can and will push the limits.
    That said, without standing in that room and seeing what went down who really knows. Rational thought may have not came in the room with the Dad. Does not make the outcome reasonable by any measure but again...was not there. With everything we do know the Dad may not have used the best judgement but he may also have been scared out of his wits. His home. His sanctuary.
    I feel there is more to this than we are being told.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    With all this protestation, you'd think I was actually referring to you - but I wasn't. If the girl in the article is inviting teenage guys to sneak into her room for whatever reason in the dead of night and continues to think this is acceptable in the face of her upbringing and then lies about knowing this guy she's let sneak into her room in the dead of night when confronted directly about it by her father who is armed, something in her upbringing has gone drastically awry along the way, whether it be parenting in general, or discipline, or rebelliousness - whatever the reason - the train has gone off the rails. I think that's a fair assessment. Yes, all children are different. Those differences don't automatically translate into differing behaviors except in the absence of standard, rigid discipline and rules and structure. To each his own, but now this father is paying the price for protecting his daughter who apparently doesn't have the good common sense God gave to turnips.

:rolleyes:
    It like I said earlier......if they git/got'a itch.......they GONNA scratch it......:):......know whut I mean?......upbring'n ain' got shizz ta do with it......:):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom