• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When your kids are over 30, as all of mine are, start asking them questions. Right now, know that they all have done AT LEAST everything that You ever did...... Take that to the bank.

You are free to speak with authority about you and your kids. You know nothing about me and my kids. The realm of mistakes it look like went on in this case, I never was close to as a teenager (and the '80s and early '90s were not that different). Neither was my wife (we happened to have started dating when we were 17). It is both realistic that kids can refrain from acting like animals in heat and it is not inevitable that they will fail to exercise control no matter the draw.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don't see any of those bad decisions being made by the dad (having read the story linked in the OP). Daughter? Yep, "I don't know him! We weren't in bed together!" Decedent? Yep, being in his girlfriend's bedroom in the middle of the night without the parents' knowledge, ignoring the father's orders, reaching with furtive hand gestures as if for a weapon.

From the father's perspective, how could this scenario be perceived any differently than a charismatic child rapist had intruded into his daughter's room? How could the mere coed slumber party betwixt his daughter and her boyfriend, coupled with his daughter's lies, be discerned from that prior scenario?

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I'm not sure I would've shot the kid, but for the rest of his life he'd be sipping his dinner thru a straw. I made pretty sure that all my daughters boyfriends knew being in my daughters bedroom at 2:00 in the morning would possibly be a death sentence! Ya gotta communicate with the boyfriends!!!!!

:yesway:......Went 'hunt'n' a sunvab**ch 1 time waaayyy back....when mine was 15......she'll be 35 in May...:):

Good thing I did'n go all'a way ta TN......some kinfolk held me back......talk'd some sense in my head......:):

kind'a.......reflect on it from time/time.....I'd be 'out' by now........:):

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You are free to speak with authority about you and your kids. You know nothing about me and my kids. The realm of mistakes it look like went on in this case, I never was close to as a teenager (and the '80s and early '90s were not that different). Neither was my wife (we happened to have started dating when we were 17). It is both realistic that kids can refrain from acting like animals in heat and it is not inevitable that they will fail to exercise control no matter the draw.

You are telling me, and I believe you. Know that you are blessed. Your ability to do the right thing all of your life should not be a matter of pride, but a thing to be grateful for. Still, know that the blessings in your life are not automatically passed down to all of your kids, We are ALL individuals, as are your kids. I want to believe that their life will be as good as yours. Sometimes great genetics and a great example still aren't enough. Some kids (most) simply HAVE to learn from experience. I hope your house has peace instead.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    You are telling me, and I believe you. Know that you are blessed. Your ability to do the right thing all of your life should not be a matter of pride, but a thing to be grateful for. Still, know that the blessings in your life are not automatically passed down to all of your kids, We are ALL individuals, as are your kids. I want to believe that their life will be as good as yours. Sometimes great genetics and a great example still aren't enough. Some kids (most) simply HAVE to learn from experience. I hope your house has peace instead.
    Why shouldn't he be proud of it?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm not sure I would've shot the kid, but for the rest of his life he'd be sipping his dinner thru a straw. I made pretty sure that all my daughters boyfriends knew being in my daughters bedroom at 2:00 in the morning would possibly be a death sentence! Ya gotta communicate with the boyfriends!!!!!

You have to know the boyfriend 1st.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Why shouldn't he be proud of it?

Because if it is indeed true, it is a blessing from God and not because he is inherently better than somebody else. We don't know why some people have a good life and others know sorrow...... why some are strong and others are weak or why some have the ability to always do the right thing and others can't seem to even understand what right and wrong is. He is simply blessed. He should be grateful

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Because if it is indeed true, it is a blessing from god and not because he is inherently better than somebody else. We don't know why some people have a good life and others know sorrow...... why some are strong and others are weak or why some have the ability to always do the right thing and others can't seem to even understand what right and wrong is. He is simply blessed. He should be grateful
    I understand that sentiment and agree to a point, but personal responsibility is a real thing. He didn't screw up as a kid because he was blessed? Fine. But he also made good decisions. Give the man some credit.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    :yesway:......Went 'hunt'n' a sunvab**ch 1 time waaayyy back....when mine was 15......she'll be 35 in May...:):

Good thing I did'n go all'a way ta TN......some kinfolk held me back......talk'd some sense in my head......:):

kind'a.......reflect on it from time/time.....I'd be 'out' by now........:):
    Do you use speech to text software, because there is no way that you can say that it wouldn't just be easier to type this crap in English, rather than whatever dialect you are using!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Neither one of my kids was running around humping everything in sight when they were in school. I guess I was blessed too. Or maybe I just paid them enough attention.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I understand that sentiment and agree to a point, but personal responsibility is a real thing. He didn't screw up as a kid because he was blessed? Fine. But he also made good decisions. Give the man some credit.

True that. Credit given where credit due, to both his decisions and his strength and knowledge of the best course in life.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not impossible, just not very realistic. Obedience is a behavior and it has to be learned. They are not good as a default, they are good as a learned response of consequences
    I disagree. There is a segment of the population where this kind of behavior (exhibited by the daughter) is the extremely rare exception, not the norm. It's the norm where a particular brand of parenting rules. It's not the norm where a different brand of parenting rules. It's only unrealistic to someone who thinks kids can't be trained up to behave right. All kids can. It's the parents who fail.

Because if it is indeed true, it is a blessing from God and not because he is inherently better than somebody else. We don't know why some people have a good life and others know sorrow...... why some are strong and others are weak or why some have the ability to always do the right thing and others can't seem to even understand what right and wrong is. He is simply blessed. He should be grateful
    "Know sorrow?" What does that have to do with the choices one makes in life and the consequences one has to deal with because of those choices? You make it sound like making poor choices and suffering the consequences is just something that happens.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Is everyone saying here that only good kids come from good parenting and bad kids come from good parenting.
    Sounds like it, I had good parenting, and my socio-economics were decent, ( we weren't on welfare), but even though there were consequences for my actions, and I KNEW they were going to be harsh, I STILL did stupid shyte! I just thought I was smarter than the adults and could get away with it!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Is everyone saying here that only good kids come from good parenting and bad kids come from good parenting.

There are all kinds of external influences on a child. If you're lucky and vigilant you can neutralize a lot of the bad influences. It doesn't always work perfectly and there are no perfect parents. Just like there are no perfect children. But in children, like in so many other things, you usually get out of it what you put into it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I don't have children nor am I married, so I come at this way different.

I would like to think that I would wait for a real threat to be "present and/or in view" before killing another human being. I would want to see a gun, a knife, or at least him advancing on me. Something to make me believe lethal force is required. Even if he just said "I'm going to blow you away/put you down/etc" then grabbing for something that would be reasonable.

Someone just "grabbing for something" does not reach that bar for me! Maybe my bar is too high and it may cost me someday, but I would rather run that risk than for every remaining day of my life know I killed someone who was reaching for NOT a weapon.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom