• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you believe is the biggest factor in poor health?

• Food intake

Votes: 48 52.7%
    • Water pollution

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Environment (excluding food, water, meds, or illegal drugs)

Votes: 4 4.4%
    • Genetics

Votes: 12 13.2%
    • I don't really know

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Inactivity

Votes: 23 25.3%
    • just bacon

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    i've tried some, but didn't care for them. Some of the ingredients aren't always so "clean". I do like almond flour for certain things.
    Yeah, you have to be careful with the Keto marketing stuff.

I just try to forego bread in general, but when I want a taco or burger I just enjoy it. I just don't eat those things regularly. I do like corn tortillas also though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    i've made those. i just don't like eggs much. :(

I have not tried them, but there are varieties out there without eggs. :dunno: There are some varieties that come close to resembling a white bread. Wonderbread chaffles?

Fortunately, I do like eggs. I was late to the chaffle craze, but it was a helluva find for me after three-ish years without bread.

I found the same as you in a lot of the "keto" merchandised products. Ether had crappy ingredients or worse yet tasted like crap. On top of being stupid expensive, "keto" merchandised products kinda fall into the same category as "organic," both mostly a lie.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Which primate? And what are you? Humans belong to the order primates.

They sell keto buns and tortillas. That's what my wife uses. They also sell keto/low carb pizza and dough, but they generally list the carbs for a serving which is pretty dang small. I've been thinking of trying this stuff it's only 1 gram net carbs per serving, but a serving is 1/8 of a 12" pizza... My wife usually uses a couple of keto tortillas and tops them like a pizza.
    Amazon product ASIN B0B3YG1RSV
    Allow me to be more precise. I use "primate" in the colloquial sense as meaning monkeys, apes, etc.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I've also heard from doctors that a "vegan" couch potato will outstrip a "normal" couch potato in both numbers and overall health. I can't verify that myself but I can say that all the exercise I've done never did anything for me until I changed what I eat. Now I can be a couch potato if I want, eat as much as I want, and still be healthier than I've ever been. But, if I want to get a 6-pack, I just do situps for a week and voila. The protein I get naturally goes straight to whatever my needs are, so if it's building muscle, then that's where it goes. Otherwise, if I don't use it, I just poop it all out, plant proteins and fats don't stay on you if you don't use them, which is nice.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I spent hours with a vegan. He was inking my tattoo. Trust when I say I got the full speech. What can you do
    I've also heard from doctors that a "vegan" couch potato will outstrip a "normal" couch potato in both numbers and overall health. I can't verify that myself but I can say that all the exercise I've done never did anything for me until I changed what I eat. Now I can be a couch potato if I want, eat as much as I want, and still be healthier than I've ever been. But, if I want to get a 6-pack, I just do situps for a week and voila. The protein I get naturally goes straight to whatever my needs are, so if it's building muscle, then that's where it goes. Otherwise, if I don't use it, I just poop it all out, plant proteins and fats don't stay on you if you don't use them, which is nice.
    a “6 pack” is determined by body fat percentage, sorry, but everybody has a 6 pack, but if you have a body fat percentage more than 12-15% they are going to start to disappear. If you’re building muscle your body will put any protein you consume towards that, and the rest will be waste, it’s not just magically plant proteins.

On a related note, if you honestly think you can consume more calories than you burn doing nothing, and still be healthy, you need to study this subject more. Calories In versus calories out. Consume more than you need and it gets turned to fat, regardless of the source.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I spent hours with a vegan. He was inking my tattoo. Trust when I say I got the full speech. What can you do

a “6 pack” is determined by body fat percentage, sorry, but everybody has a 6 pack, but if you have a body fat percentage more than 12-15% they are going to start to disappear. If you’re building muscle your body will put any protein you consume towards that, and the rest will be waste, it’s not just magically plant proteins.

On a related note, if you honestly think you can consume more calories than you burn doing nothing, and still be healthy, you need to study this subject more. Calories In versus calories out. Consume more than you need and it gets turned to fat, regardless of the source.
    Pretty dang simple, when it comes down to it.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    On a related note, if you honestly think you can consume more calories than you burn doing nothing, and still be healthy, you need to study this subject more. Calories In versus calories out.
    Nope. The body doesn't even know what a "calorie" is. The body doesn't "burn" (i.e. combust, which is what happens in a bomb calorimeter) energy sources. The body doesn't measure energy needs in calories, nor does it measure energy usage in calories.

As for "eat less, move more" in general: energy in and energy out are dependent, not independent variables, which is why that approach as a weight loss strategy has a clinically proven track record of about 99% failure.

Fat gain/loss has nothing to do with calories. Rather, it is driven entirely by hormone balance (particularly, insulin).

Consume more than you need and it gets turned to fat, regardless of the source.

Also, not how it works. Two examples:

1. Protein. The body has little to no mechanism to convert protein to fat. Gluconeogenesis is metabolically very expensive, and is demand-driven (i.e. primarily to ensure that the brain gets the minimal amount of glucose that it requires), not supply-driven (i.e. in response to excess consumption of protein). The body will find ways to use, or waste, excess protein.

2. Type 1 diabetics. Feed a T1D 10,000 "calories" and he will still lose weight. Until you give him insulin.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Good questions! It's actually BECAUSE of these same things that I learned 1) keep animals and unwashed human hands the hell away from your vegetables and 2) that we are omnivores, but primate omnivores (primates and omnivores in general rarely eat meat, yet we eat it daily, now, and have quite a bit to show for it, since we're not made to do that).
    Some have surmised that when early hominids began to consume more meat, particularly fats, that provided the physiological "ability" to develop that big lump of fat grey stuff in our skulls. A meat-based diet just might be that one thing that allowed us to walk out of Africa on two legs to populate every other continent on earth, while our plant-munching close cousins still walk on all fours in the forest.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My kneejerk reaction, and I still believe it to be near the top, is food intake.

However, I did chose exercise in that even with eating lousy food we could push ourselves to be in far better shape than we are. Modern life is too sedentary in America.

Europeans tend to be in a bit better shape. When I was touring France I saw a lot of people walk several blocks to the bus station and all seemed, on average, less fat than Americans. And the French are NOT known for worrying about eating healthy. They eat good.

Regards,

Doug

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My kneejerk reaction, and I still believe it to be near the top, is food intake.

However, I did chose exercise in that even with eating lousy food we could push ourselves to be in far better shape than we are. Modern life is too sedentary in America.

Europeans tend to be in a bit better shape. When I was touring France I saw a lot of people walk several blocks to the bus station and all seemed, on average, less fat than Americans. And the French are NOT known for worrying about eating healthy. They eat good.

Regards,

Doug
    Indeed, not being sedentary is incredibly beneficial to overall health.

The French don't really eat breakfast to speak of - certainly not the hearty fare (or, more accurate for today, the feast of sugar and refined/processed carbohydrates) of the SAD. They also demonstrate that the quality of food is important (and that "quality" includes plenty of animal fat and protein, with much more limited amounts of processed starches and sugar).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Some have surmised that when early hominids began to consume more meat, particularly fats, that provided the physiological "ability" to develop that big lump of fat grey stuff in our skulls. A meat-based diet just might be that one thing that allowed us to walk out of Africa on two legs to populate every other continent on earth, while our plant-munching close cousins still walk on all fours in the forest.
    Some anthropologists agree with this. It is believed that early hominids found bones from predators kills, cooked them in fire and ate the marrow, thereby fueling brain development…

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Indeed, not being sedentary is incredibly beneficial to overall health.

The French don't really eat breakfast to speak of - certainly not the hearty fare (or, more accurate for today, the feast of sugar and refined/processed carbohydrates) of the SAD. They also demonstrate that the quality of food is important (and that "quality" includes plenty of animal fat and protein, with much more limited amounts of processed starches and sugar).

You are correct. The one place the French fail miserably on is breakfast. Of course, most of the continent does. A continental breakfast is not a good thing.

However, the rest of their dining cuisine more than makes up for any failure to start the day. The richness and subtlety of French cuisine makes it one of the most divine cultural foods upon which to dine.

All praise Escoffier! He launched a great national pride and quality that is hard to surpass.

On food & wine I am definitely a Francophile. On beer I am in love with Belgian and German, along with American MICRO breweries, not our normal mass produced swill.

On bourbon i truly love what is made in America, although again not our swill, but we can make some most excellent stuff.

And the Scots have given us wonderful single malts. Praise the highlands.

Regards,

Doug

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Dang it, one of my favorite gardening channels. The host recently switched to the carnivore diet to combat lifelong illness that peaked last year, nearly incapacitating her. The diet has been successful for her, on top of losing a fair chunk of weight. I fear she will slowly fade away from gardening?

pablanu3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Bedford
    Good point! I've heard the same things, but there is still just so much conjecture when it comes to neurology and brain development that I maintain a healthy skepticism. Either way, there are many animals who eat lots of meats and fats that do not have the brain capacity that we do, so it'd like to know why they did not develop as we did, if those are indeed our origins. I still have a lot of questions that I'd like to know the answers to. Thanks for including this aspect in the discussion! Fascinating stuff.

pablanu3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2023
    Bedford

True about the 6 pack, but I've never experienced it before eating primarily plant-based, is all.

As for the last point about calories, what I say is true for me. From what the research says, it has to do with how the fats, sugars and carbs are packaged. They're bound to fiber, in particular, which (I'm no scientist) don't get processed unless they are needed. If you don't need it, you don't "break open" the package and so the fiber-bound, unused nutrients just get pooped out. I've tried eating lots of fatty nuts, nut butters, fruits full of sugars and fats, but it doesn't stick as fat. It only gets processed as energy. Back when we ate straight cholesterol, like butter and animal meats, that stuff didn't need processing since the dead animal had already done the processing in life, so it would just go straight to our own fat supplies because it wasn't bound to fibers to then be removed from our bodies directly as waste.

Again, this is my experience and it seems to match with the science so far, but I do know that genetics seems to have a little to do with it. For example, my wife seems to store a bit more fats than I do (which is apparently normal for ladies so that they can support a child if need be), but all in the right places (the places that make her look feminine) and not in excess, but in a healthy way. She no longer has fat in unusual places, like her back or her sides, arms, calves, neck, forehead, chin, etc. like we both used to. We're both quite happy with seeing how our bodies respond to the food we eat. And they're responding well!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    True about the 6 pack, but I've never experienced it before eating primarily plant-based, is all.

As for the last point about calories, what I say is true for me. From what the research says, it has to do with how the fats, sugars and carbs are packaged. They're bound to fiber, in particular, which (I'm no scientist) don't get processed unless they are needed. If you don't need it, you don't "break open" the package and so the fiber-bound, unused nutrients just get pooped out. I've tried eating lots of fatty nuts, nut butters, fruits full of sugars and fats, but it doesn't stick as fat. It only gets processed as energy. Back when we ate straight cholesterol, like butter and animal meats, that stuff didn't need processing since the dead animal had already done the processing in life, so it would just go straight to our own fat supplies because it wasn't bound to fibers to then be removed from our bodies directly as waste.

Again, this is my experience and it seems to match with the science so far, but I do know that genetics seems to have a little to do with it. For example, my wife seems to store a bit more fats than I do (which is apparently normal for ladies so that they can support a child if need be), but all in the right places (the places that make her look feminine) and not in excess, but in a healthy way. She no longer has fat in unusual places, like her back or her sides, arms, calves, neck, forehead, chin, etc. like we both used to. We're both quite happy with seeing how our bodies respond to the food we eat. And they're responding well!
    You have a partial understanding of the complexity of metabolism but the conclusions and suppositions you are drawing are flawed.

Top Bottom