• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    What a bunch of crap and we wonder why so many of us are fed up with government. If you have the money you have the power. The sad fact is we keep re-electing these people to represent us.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Yeah cause everybody knows that chickens processed by the millions in a factory are way safer than the ones raised and processed by the people who have raised and cared for them their entire lives. (Insert purple) it's unreal how much government hates small buisness.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah cause everybody knows that chickens processed by the millions in a factory are way safer than the ones raised and processed by the people who have raised and cared for them their entire lives. (Insert purple) it's unreal how much government hates small buisness.

I agree completely, but feel compelled to point out that so far as the matter of principle is concerned, there isn't much difference between growing our own food and growing our own fibers.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I think quite the opposite. More people of my generation are figuring out that the crap grown by big agriculture isn't as good for you (and in some cases, the crap they put on their crops is downright bad for you). Big agriculture is solely about profits. I prefer to support my local small farms.

I think most small farms will most likely go the way of the dodo in my lifetime.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think quite the opposite. More people of my generation are figuring out that the crap grown by big agriculture isn't as good for you (and in some cases, the crap they put on their crops is downright bad for you). Big agriculture is solely about profits. I prefer to support my local small farms.

Yes, and Big Ag is figuring out that we are figuring it out, and acting accordingly to block us from going our own way.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I dine at Story Inn quite a bit. This would really throw a wrench in the spokes of that great place.

If big ag goes too far, I'll just turn my land into a huge garden. I won't eat their garbage.

Yes, and Big Ag is figuring out that we are figuring it out, and acting accordingly to block us from going our own way.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Big Ag, lol. Factory, lmao. I knew as soon as I read the thread title I wouldn't be disappointed.

How many of you are farmers, or worked on a farm, or even know how it works now days???

It's great when people have small farms that produce for their families and such but that isn't what we have here. This farm is deliberately operating at a certain capacity to avoid the next level. I'm quite sure the majority of people prefer the extra security that comes with the next level. I know I do. I want my poultry inspected as much as needed to insure it's safe.

One thing I've learned about poultry over the last 16 years is you don't mess around. There are entire flocks being slaughtered because of disease to make sure it doesn't reach the consumer. I'm thankful for that.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I dine at Story Inn quite a bit. This would really throw a wrench in the spokes of that great place.

If big ag goes too far, I'll just turn my land into a huge garden. I won't eat their garbage.

Will you guys tell me where you currently get your poultry? Heck, how about all your groceries. Let's see a pic of your refrigerator shelves and cabinets.

Is there not "Big AG" from "factories" in them?

mschlatter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    In the Barn
    Will you guys tell me where you currently get your poultry? Heck, how about all your groceries. Let's see a pic of your refrigerator shelves and cabinets.

:yesway:Thanks for standing up for us "factory farmers". Contrary to popular belief we aren't the spawn of the devil. We are family farms who have been farming for in my case 4 generations. So we did well and exceled at our trade. Last time I checked most here are for the capitalist and that way of life.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'm vegetarian. My comments regarding big agriculture still stand. Sure, there may be some farms staying just under the threshold on purpose to avoid inspection, etc... But I know the farms I purchase my food from. I sure as hell wouldn't put the junk coming out of big agriculture, Monsanto, DuPont, etc... in my body.

Not only that, but the restrictions put on farmers and seed from the big companies disgusts me.

Im guessing you're all for confined animal feeding operations as well?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    :yesway:Thanks for standing up for us "factory farmers". Contrary to popular belief we aren't the spawn of the devil. We are family farms who have been farming for in my case 4 generations. So we did well and exceled at our trade. Last time I checked most here are for the capitalist and that way of life.

You are very welcome. I will always stand up for farmers because I've been there and done it. I have family still doing it and every time they turn around someone is trying to make it harder for them.

I'm vegetarian. My comments regarding big agriculture still stand. Sure, there may be some farms staying just under the threshold on purpose to avoid inspection, etc... But I know the farms I purchase my food from. I sure as hell wouldn't put the junk coming out of big agriculture, Monsanto, DuPont, etc... in my body.

Not only that, but the restrictions put on farmers and seed from the big companies disgusts me.

Im guessing you're all for confined animal feeding operations as well?

First, I am 100% for CAFO's and I always will be. They are amazing operations and allow my food bills to be lower.

So, where do you get your other groceries? Or do you just eat locally grown vegetables? Are you aware of how much "Big Ag" from "factories" you are probably consuming?

Restrictions on seed? You mean patent protection and reproducing?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Big Ag, lol. Factory, lmao. I knew as soon as I read the thread title I wouldn't be disappointed.

How many of you are farmers, or worked on a farm, or even know how it works now days???

It's great when people have small farms that produce for their families and such but that isn't what we have here. This farm is deliberately operating at a certain capacity to avoid the next level. I'm quite sure the majority of people prefer the extra security that comes with the next level. I know I do. I want my poultry inspected as much as needed to insure it's safe.

One thing I've learned about poultry over the last 16 years is you don't mess around. There are entire flocks being slaughtered because of disease to make sure it doesn't reach the consumer. I'm thankful for that.

So you justify the attack on currently lawful smaller operations exactly how? I've seen what passes for USDA inspection and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

As to flock slaughtering, riddle me this. Is it normally to prevent transmission of infectious disease in live birds to humans or other birds or because the end product of the slaughtered chicken is unsafe?

Also, which type of operation is more susceptible to these pandemics, a large commercial operation or a smaller free range type of operation?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    So you justify the attack on currently lawful smaller operations exactly how? I've seen what passes for USDA inspection and it doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

Isn't it survival of the fittest pretty much everywhere? You either grow and innovate or stand the chance of going under. Why should they be entitled to their perfect comfort zone and untouchable while larger producers put more into their operations to follow the rules?

Operation A is over 20,000 birds, doing everything right and spending more per bird to do it.
    Operation B is purposely under 20,000 birds, not doing as much as Operation A and spending less per bird.

It's a "what if" thing. What if something goes bad? You don't mess with poultry now days.

Just my opinion.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner

Never Said anything about "big ag" I raise and sell freezer beef and row crop farm as well as a full time job, thank you. I've got 15 cows and 1 bull plus 14 yearlings on full feed, so I got a pretty good idea where my beef comes from, can't tell you the last time we bought store beef.
    All our pork comes from my son-in-laws brothers farm, 900 sows farrow to Finish full confinement, but we usually support their kids and buy their 4H projects. Store bought pork is horrible.
    We raise chickens for eggs, free range them around the farm and they roost on top of the hay however the eggs are hard to find.
    Two years ago I traded some beef for some home processed broilers and they where very tasty, best chicken I ever had, raised in a tractor on grass and ground corn. I would love to raise my own broilers but I'm not into butchering and none of the processors I work with will touch chickens. Otherwise we try to buy from a local meat shop or Perdue at Meijer because I now they are mostly from Indiana.

Poultry and fish are the only store meat we buy, and I would prefer not to buy any. The quality of store meat is sub par at best, not because of "big ag" or "factory farms" to the contrary, American farmers make the best producs in the world. That's the problem, all our prime cuts go to Japan or high end restaurants, especially pork, we are left with the "cheap stuff" in our stores.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Never Said anything about "big ag" I raise and sell freezer beef and row crop farm as well as a full time job, thank you. I've got 15 cows and 1 bull plus 14 yearlings on full feed, so I got a pretty good idea where my beef comes from, can't tell you the last time we bought store beef.
    All our pork comes from my son-in-laws brothers farm, 900 sows farrow to Finish full confinement, but we usually support their kids and buy their 4H projects. Store bought pork is horrible.
    We raise chickens for eggs, free range them around the farm and they roost on top of the hay however the eggs are hard to find.
    Two years ago I traded some beef for some home processed broilers and they where very tasty, best chicken I ever had, raised in a tractor on grass and ground corn. I would love to raise my own broilers but I'm not into butchering and none of the processors I work with will touch chickens. Otherwise we try to buy from a local meat shop or Perdue at Meijer because I now they are mostly from Indiana.

Poultry and fish are the only store meat we buy, and I would prefer not to buy any. The quality of store meat is sub par at best, not because of "big ag" or "factory farms" to the contrary, American farmers make the best producs in the world. That's the problem, all our prime cuts go to Japan or high end restaurants, especially pork, we are left with the "cheap stuff" in our stores.

For the benefit of the city folk reading this thread, that is an open-bottomed pen on wheels that you move ever so often around a yard or pasture so that the chickens can forage for plants and insects in the footprint of the tractor without being turned loose to face predators or simply not bother coming back where they belong--not to be confused with a machine you use to pull a plow.

Top Bottom