• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This.

Arguing that we've been selectively breeding for a long time.....so it's cool if we splice in some fish genes with our tomatoes.....well, I don't care to argue with someone grasping at those types of straws.

There is a difference between selective breeding and splicing and dicing on genes so far as I am concerned.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    This.

Arguing that we've been selectively breeding for a long time.....so it's cool if we splice in some fish genes with our tomatoes.....well, I don't care to argue with someone grasping at those types of straws.

The anti GMO crowd has been screaming chicken little for 30yrs now and has yet produced any proof that GMO food is not safe. It's sickening that we have the technology to help starving people all around the word to raise nutritious food for themselves but refuse to share it cause we are afraid of the Monsanto boggie man.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The anti GMO crowd has been screaming chicken little for 30yrs now and has yet produced any proof that GMO food is not safe. It's sickening that we have the technology to help starving people all around the word to raise nutritious food for themselves but refuse to share it cause we are afraid of the Monsanto boggie man.
    I'm less concerned about the GMO itself than I am about the 'cides it is bathed in now that they won't hurt it.

World hunger is is a red herring, it has nothing to do with fear of Monsanto and everything to do with governments and warlords who use hunger to control their people. Try taking your excess food to the Sudan and distribute it. See how long you live...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    This.

And the fish-spliced tomatoes are a science project to learn about how genes work; they've never been for sale.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    World hunger is is a red herring, it has nothing to do with fear of Monsanto and everything to do with governments and warlords who use hunger to control their people. Try taking your excess food to the Sudan and distribute it. See how long you live...

I've witnessed many deaths over nothing more than a wood crate to sleep in back in the middle eightys, one can only imagine what some would do over a dozen ears of yellow field corn in today's central Africa.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I'm less concerned about the GMO itself than I am about the 'cides it is bathed in now that they won't hurt it.

Plenty of places other than Africa that people lack nutrition. You don't have to tell me about government using food as a weapon, I am financially aware of of words like embargo, GMO is just another weapon in that war.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Not just warlords in Africa chief. Right here in the good ol' US of A we waste a many tons of food.

A very entertaining and educational video from John Oliver here: <span style="font-family:arial;"><font size="3">[video=youtube;i8xwLWb0lLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8xwLWb0lLY[/video]

Regards,

Doug

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

This is an upside-down argument. If you want other people to eat something created by unnatural manipulation, the monkey is on your back where the proof is concerned. Let's not even go to the FDA on this one. There was a time when they declared thalidomide safe, along with vaccines based on mercury. It seems that over time there has been a trend to declare things safe until proven otherwise. I don't take kindly to being drafted to be the guinea pig without my consent or even knowledge that it is being done.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    BWAHAHAHA.....Are you kidding me? Whole bunch of NOPE here. Monsanto, Dupont, etc... refusing to allow even 3rd world farmers to actually farm.....what a effing joke. They refuse to allow 3rd world farmers to reproduce crops year to year. They must continually buy seed from companies. They aren't doing GOOD. They are trying to get even 3rd world country farmers in their pocket.

And don't even get me started on the BS regarding growing safe food to feed the world. You know what would feed more people????? Go vegetarian. Stop feeding corn to cows. It takes about 8 pounds of grain and 1,800 gallons of water to make a pound of beef. So if you really want to help people that are starving.....start with that. And if you really want to eat meat, don't buy farmed meat. Hunt. (Not saying you don't do this, I have no idea about you specifically, but most people are just ignorant and buying CAFO meat).

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    BWAHAHAHA.....Are you kidding me? Whole bunch of NOPE here. Monsanto, Dupont, etc... refusing to allow even 3rd world farmers to actually farm.....what a effing joke. They refuse to allow 3rd world farmers to reproduce crops year to year. They must continually buy seed from companies. They aren't doing GOOD. They are trying to get even 3rd world country farmers in their pocket

Why do you hate technology? This may come a shock to you but most farmers recognize that "saving seed" was a worthless endeavor long before GMO. The farther away from an F1 cross the less heterosis and you loose germination. (not to mention some seed like corn is a hybrid and its prodigy are not suitable for seed) Kinda like tripping over dollars to pick up a penny. RR soybeans have been out of patent for 2-3yrs and no one I know of has "saved" them for production.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    And don't even get me started on the BS regarding growing safe food to feed the world. You know what would feed more people????? Go vegetarian. Stop feeding corn to cows. It takes about 8 pounds of grain and 1,800 gallons of water to make a pound of beef. So if you really want to help people that are starving.....start with that. And if you really want to eat meat, don't buy farmed meat. Hunt. (Not saying you don't do this, I have no idea about you specifically, but most people are just ignorant and buying CAFO meat).

Umm, no I hate to burst your vegetarian utopia bubble but most of the planet is not suitable for the vegetable and fruit production it would take to become a vegetarian society. Drop a plow in the African savannah and plant lettuce and you end up with Kansas in the 30's. Grazing animals are actually beneficial in crop production and increasing fertility of marginal land.
    Speaking of that, ever thought about where the "fertilizer" for your organic vegetables come from? Especially the ones grow locally. I'll give you a hint it starts with a C and ends with a FO.

Last edited:

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    This is an upside-down argument. If you want other people to eat something created by unnatural manipulation, the monkey is on your back where the proof is concerned. Let's not even go to the FDA on this one. There was a time when they declared thalidomide safe, along with vaccines based on mercury. It seems that over time there has been a trend to declare things safe until proven otherwise. I don't take kindly to being drafted to be the guinea pig without my consent or even knowledge that it is being done.

I doubt there is any food product that has been more scrutinized than GMO. It took 10 yrs to approve RR soybeans and BT corn, how much much more time and research should be spent? What is you definition of "unnatural manipulation" that's a pretty broad term, you have a problem with Genetically engineered organisms but what about Mutagenesis? Are you ok eating mutations created with radiation or carcinogens?

https://www.geneticliteracyproject....ove-foods-mutated-by-radiation-and-chemicals/

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    I doubt there is any food product that has been more scrutinized than GMO. It took 10 yrs to approve RR soybeans and BT corn, how much much more time and research should be spent? What is you definition of "unnatural manipulation" that's a pretty broad term, you have a problem with Genetically engineered organisms but what about Mutagenesis? Are you ok eating mutations created with radiation or carcinogens?
    During that time, I believe that Monsanto was assuring everyone that glyphosate resistance wasn't going to be a problem, were they not? Kinda like commercial CAFOs weren't supposed to cause antibiotic resistance?

Like I said, my concerns go well beyond the immediate product of these practices. I'm not saying they are evil, but let's not act like they are some magical Monsanto panacea.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    During that time, I believe that Monsanto was assuring everyone that glyphosate resistance wasn't going to be a problem, were they not? Kinda like commercial CAFOs weren't supposed to cause antibiotic resistance?

Like I said, my concerns go well beyond the immediate product of these practices. I'm not saying they are evil, but let's not act like they are some magical Monsanto panacea.

Ahh, NO. Glyphosate resistance was caused by miss application of the product, not the product it's self. Present company included. Likewise CAFO's do not cause antibiotic resistance over application is the cause, just lke in humans.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Ahh, NO. Glyphosate resistance was caused by miss application of the product, not the product it's self. Present company included. Likewise CAFO's do not cause antibiotic resistance over application is the cause, just lke in humans.
    Mmmhmm... You are going to straightfacedly tell me that gross antibiotic abuse hasn't been widespread and accepted practice in commercial CAFOs for decades? Gotta keep them standing!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Mmmhmm... You are going to straightfacedly tell me that gross antibiotic abuse hasn't been widespread and accepted practice in commercial CAFOs for decades? Gotta keep them standing!

No, I'm not saying antibiototic abuse and resistance doesn't/hasn't happend but it sure isn't SOP, I don't think anybody wants to go through that hell plus is dang expensive. The only blame is poor management, just like with people if you abuse an antibiotic by taking it all the time or under douse you will build an immunity, animals are no different, CAFO or not.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

https://www.geneticliteracyproject....ove-foods-mutated-by-radiation-and-chemicals/

You raise a good point, but it is difficult to rationally defend a questionable practice by pointing to another which is arguably worse yet.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom