• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I learned a cool trick from an elderly friend of mine. He carries a hammerless Smith in a sock, in his pocket. When I asked him about it he said "It's simple really, I am an old man and not very fast. But if I get held up; the assailant won't even have time to think 'whats the old man doing with a sock in his pocket' before he has been shot." He added "I can drive around all day long with a sock on my passenger seat and nobody is the wiser". It's brilliant really.
    Try it yourself (with an unloaded gun first). When you grasp the gun it automatically falls right into position and you can press the trigger just as naturally as if it were naked in your hand.
    My Friend also said you should use a Cotton sock because nylon will burn and stick to your heater. Didn't ask him how he knew that. :)

Last edited:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    One place where I too would prefer a higher ammo capacity is in home defense. When you are out in public, the purpose of your defensive handgun is to stop the attacker long enough for you to get away. When you are in your home, the ultimate goal isn't to 'get away,' but to be able to defend a position (and those in it). from attack, and there may be multiple attackers.

See, now my thoughts are just a bit different. Both my wife and I have S&W snubby's with speed loaders on the headboard of our bed. If I/we are awakened by a BG coming into our home, I don't want to mess with a safety, I want point and click. We also both have pump Mossy's on each side of the bed within reach that can deployed within seconds if the situation is a case of multiple BG's.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    One benefit of the revolver is you can leave it in your drawer loaded forever, never have to worry about springs wearing out.

Plus I am quite confident you wont run into the issues I have read about with a pf9, lc9, etc with the j frame.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Snubbies are more reliable, especially compared to small autos in a pocket or ankle holster. But don't think they are impervious to problems. Everything mechanical can fail. But they are more reliable, esp in situations previously listed.

And if you don't want the hassel of a safety. They make some autos without safeties, just like they make some wheels with safties.

I use a s&w m&p .40c as my edc. And my bug is a naa .22 revolver.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I would rather carry a .357 snub nose than a .380 sub-compact. However, sub-compacts in 9mm and .40S&W with more rounds would likely be the best option in terms of small frame pistols. Not really sure about the energy the various calibers have coming from short barrels.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I can't see how or why snubbies would lose their place. Several of my guns are snubbies, I feel very confident about protecting myself and my family with a snubbie. The chances of me ever having to use a gun in a defensive situation is slim, the chances of me having to use more than 5 rounds of ammo is even more slim. I always carry at least one speedloader in my pocket, but it just makes me feel more secure. I can't imagine that I will ever find myself in a situation where I need 17 rounds in the gun and a couple extra mags loaded and ready to go. If I find myself in a situation where I am facing large groups of bad guys or where I'm involved in a firefight, I will either call in an airstrike or rethink the places that I hangout. You can't prepare for every situation that may arise, but you can spend some time at the range and prepare yourself mentally.

chase317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    Ruger SP101. I have the 3" barrel .357. LOVE IT! I carry it almost always. Im a average sized guy, and it conceals great with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster. A couple of speed strips fit flat in the fifth pocket of Levis jeans.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    The gun I carry the most is a S&W .38 Bodyguard. I traded my 637 for it. The new Bodyguards have a far superior trigger in double action as compared to a traditional j-frame. My Bodyguard trigger breaks right at 6 pounds, my 637 was 12 plus pounds in double action.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    In terms of the OP I would say yes. I would think just the average trip to the sip and get your more likely to run into some one carrying a glock or what have you than a snubbie. That being said I shoot them for fun, and will always have them, but not as my EDC.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Wheelguns definitely still have their place. The downside for concealed carry is that the cylinder makes it slightly more bulky, and thus a bit more prone to printing. My S&W Model 60 .357 is one of my favorite carry guns - usually it's either that, a G26, or a Bersa Mini-Firestorm .45. If I'm carrying my Model 60 I usually have 2 reloads - either speed loaders or speed strips. That gives me a total of 15 rounds, which imho is plenty for non-LE concealed carry.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    picture.php

I love this gun. 638

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    1324213263.jpg

Have they lost.their place? Sure hope not. Bought this about twenty years.ago and carried it a lot of years. When the time came to think about something for my eldest daughter, I chose this and had it done up in the pink. Cute, huh?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1324213263.jpg

Have they lost.their place? Sure hope not. Bought this about twenty years.ago and carried it a lot of years. When the time came to think about something for my eldest daughter, I chose this and had it done up in the pink. Cute, huh?

That's ok, you don't have to make something up. We know you bought it that way. After all, who's gonna make fun of the guy who's big enough to carry a pink gun. :)

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The snubbie is the forget me not carry piece... It's so easy to keep with you, light, simple, handles more abuse than most semi's, nothing extra to make it go, it's the forget me not gun....

Doc Unique

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    The wife carries her Taurus Model 85 with confidence.
    Although often I carry a Sig P6, somethimes like just 5 min. ago, while walking the dog in the dark, I carry a Rossi 677 357 Snubbie.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own (2) charter arms Bulldogs in .44 special. They are light, easy to conceal and fire every time you need them. I carry one on the job and the 2nd is hidden in the house for protection. I am ate up with 1911's and carry them occasionally but the bulldog "Snubbies"
    Are the workhorse carry piece

Top Bottom