• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Taurus 709 Slim (or did until that boat tipped on Wawasee :( ) that I can use as a BUG, but I recently had a chance to fondle a snobby. I was impressed. It would be a very useful BUG for small-of-the-back carry, or even an ankle carry. The hammerless varieties, with the smooth edges would be useful in a close-up, face-to-face situation where the #1 gun is out of battery for any reason. I can see the value of a snubby. :draw:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have a 642 as my primary off-duty gun and back-up to my G22. I have gotten pretty good at reloading with speed strips. We use the Speer .38+p 135 grain designed for snubbies and I feel quite secure carrying that with a 5rd reload strip. It conceals better than my G27 for off-duty and is much lighter. They will never go out of style.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Ballistics. There I said it. IMHO, the .38 is a much better round than the .380. I know there have been great advances in ballistics (which is why I now carry a 9mm) however, it is hard to get the same ballistics from a .380 as a .38 or .357.

Not trying to start the whole caliber war again. But it should at least be considered as a big draw to the snubby. As for the 9mm vs .38 I figure they are getting closer.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Snubbies

I often carry a S&W 637 SS or a blued Colt Detective. They are light weight and I dont feel underguned at all , also slip a couple of Bianchi Speedstrips in my pocket that gives me a total of 17 rds , 12 in the Speedstrips and 5 in the weapon

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    VERT above, kinda hit all the nails on the head on this subject. I have an old Smith 37 that I carry on an ankle holster in the summer while wearing jeans and a t-shirt. It is light enough that I don't limp from the weight on one leg. A steel frame is just heavy enough to cause this. Just pull the trigger and it will go BANG! That is important to me....John

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I need to replace my cc gun, (Titan. 25 auto) and ive been looking around and at conceal-ability, capacity, etc, and was wondering this question. I'd like to have a taurus 85 or something, but whats the advantage of that over a PF9, or Bersa .380, or LCP, etc? I know revolvers cant really jam or misfeed, but is that it? Thanks:ar15:

I'm quite happy with my LCP. It's very slim, compact, and easy to carry. I wouldn't be unhappy with the LCR either. There's a right tool for every job, and it's probably more a matter of personal preference as to which tool will be right for you.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    I am seriously thinking about getting a smith 5 shot airweigh...light, compact, simple, snagless, accurate, and 100% reliable...they still have a place as far as i am concerned.....capacity and reloading are an issue but 5-6 shots should be enough to handle any up close social problems

I have a S&W 360 scandium .357 and I carry that thing everywhere. Especially in the winter, I put it in my pocket and you don't know it's there. Nice to have my hand on a gun as I'm walking through a dark lot or something.

IndianaBuckeye

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    I like pocket guns of all sorts, but the revolver is what I chose to carry. For all of the above-listed reasons and the fact I'm a lefty. Try popping off a round or two from your auto, with your left hand, without having your arm fully extended....... oh yea, hot casings flying directly at your eyes..... a little distracting in a high-tension situation.
    Don't get me wrong.... I love my autos :D, I just chose a revolver for CC.
    :twocents:

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Vert and sepe have pretty well hit the nail on the head as far as the snubbies go!! Currently have a S&W M&P340, and love it. Just light enough that you will carry it and 5 rounds of 135+P to get the job done if called on. If you have any concerns that a snubbie is still valuable today, read Ed Lovette's book, "The Snubby Revolver". Should put your mind at ease....

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Back in the day, the J frame and Colt Detective Spec were kings of concealment. New semi autos seem to be replacing them now, but I still vote for the J frame, airweight models. Have carried same for the last 25yrs and never an issue, only drawn once, never shot in hate. (Mod 442-S&W). K frame snubs are also cool, but good luck finding one. Rare to see used, for sale. Colts dried up some time back also.
    Good to have one in your collection, and a BUG to your LCP, or Kel Tec.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Great thread, as someone who is buying a 442 for my gf this thread is very reassuring.

Be a little careful with buying an airweight Smith for the lady in your life. If she is an experienced shooter they are a great choice. If she is new to handguns then use caution. Snubbies are experts weapons. Bad sights and sharp recoil. And don't get suckered the little 380s are just as bad.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    Nothing wrong with a J frame or any other small revolver. I carry one in my left pocket and a 1911 on my hip. They do take a bit of practice to master. I find it more pleasant to shoot than a small auto.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I carry a Sig P229 for work, and I am "grandfathered" to carry a wheelgun as a backup since I was around just before my agency went to autoloaders. A large number of the newer agents have mentioned they wish they could carry a snub instead of the autos they are allowed to carry as BUGs.

I have a 442 and an SP101. Love them both for different reasons. One is a tank that will never wear out and one is so light and smooth I forget I have it. Both ridiculously reliable. Have Snubbies lost their place? - NOT if you go by the number that are developed sold every year!!

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Gave my Smith and Wesson .38 Special snubbie to my father a few years ago for Christmas since he did not have a home defense gun. I miss that pistol and did not realize how expensive it would be to replace so I opted for a lower priced Ruger LCP .380. I love the Ruger, my wife carries it most of the time, but really wish that I still had a snubbie.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have both and LCP, and a Smith 442 J frame. Both are small, comparable in weight, and reasonably sufficient for self defense use. The LCP is a little flatter, so it does conceal just a little better, but the J frame blows the auto out of the water in accuracy.
    When I do carry the 442, I usually feel more than adequately prepared for most situations, where the LCP leaves me wanting my 1911 to keep it company.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have two Ruger Security Six .357 Medium Frame (equivelent of a S&W K, or a Colt D frames) is solid, and never farther than arms reach other than when working. They're significantly thicker, and a bit heavier than the average snubby, but reliability is bar none, and they are not bad to shoot at all even with full .357 loads, mostly because of the extra weight. Other than the slight cylinder ring, the blued finish is immaculate and has seen many many rounds. You will find me occasionally without the semi, but never without the revolver.

Top Bottom