• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Hmmmm.... so one of the many times I built a rifle.... I bought a CMMG lower and used only parts I could buy from CMMG, paired that with a CMMG upper, etc, etc, etc..... Now in my opinion that is still a frankenAR.... so how will you all know if it is factory or not...... the plot thickens.
    I would'nt technically call it a frankengun since you used all CMMG parts. I would say you did your own assembly using CMMG parts. My understanding of a franken gun is assembling parts from different brands.

You just can't truthfully make the claim that it's a factory assembled CMMG gun.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Guns are very similar to cars. Real, factory made muscle cars are worth more than clones or customs. Custom cars and hot rods aren't good investments, unless they are built by "the builder of the day". The styles and fads change every year.

Lets say in 1980, you and your buddy each had $10,000 to spend. Your buddy bought a bone stock Hemi Road Runner. You built your own cool custom one from a six cylinder Satellite. It was faster than the real Road Runner, it had a cool custom paint job that you designed, and an interior to match. You had all the coolest parts 1980 could offer. Fast forward to today, and one would be worth a crap ton of money. The other, not so much.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This isn't AR based, but I went to the range about 20 years with some guys I worked with and brought an old Swedish Mauser that I had sporterized. It was still in the original wood stock, barrel shortened to 22", bolt bent and was drilled and tapped for a scope mount. I had a Tasco 6-24x44 target scope on it. One of the other guys had a Savage Model 10FP with a Leupold target scope who thought he was a sniper because of his equipment. My old beater that he looked down on because it wasn't the latest greatest thing outshot him with his wonder gun. In full disclosure it probably cost me as much to have George Perkins get it to that level as he had in his gun. The only person who matter when it comes to building something is the one using it. I like cheap AR's as long as they function.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Read any thread on INGO about, should I a Colt or a Noveske, or any other brand, and within the first five responses, it turns into Palmetto State Armory blemishes are better and cheaper circle jerk. The hate runs a whole lot stronger against people that just buy a quality rifle.

Dont believe me, re read the first page of this thread. The insults and implied insults, flow pretty freely.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I haven't noticed it so much here but I hear it at gun shops and with friends of friends...why do people not like a AR that somebody built outside of a big name manufacturer. The other day my rifle was referred fans a frankengun. I didn't really care but I was curious if this was an elitist type attitude of just ignorance. My rifle has BCM barrel and BCG, VLtor A5 setup, Midwest Industries hand guard, and Mag Tactical upper/lower. This is not some rifle that I tossed together after I found a bunch of spare pieces. So what do you guys say about this kinda of attitude?

Mostly because it hasn't been assembled in a factory that makes sure all the parts are 100% compatible and optimized together, so what you end up with can be a mystery.

That and a lot of the time people doing that are trying to cheap out on a couple extremely important components then they wonder why their gun doesn't run, or mis-match things thinking X is better than Y when in reality it's that Y was made for their specific configuration.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    I only have the one AR I put together. I have to admit it was far easier than I expected. My neighbor suggested it was a easy build with the barrel having dimples for the gas block set screws. He cracked a joke about that's what spending money on name brand parts gets you. I mentioned in another post that I am working on building one for my wife with a blemished upper and lower from PSA. I really don't care about brand as long as they are mil-spec and when they were on sale it seemed like a great deal. Once I get the INGO lower she will get that instead. I am jealous of people that have the ability to buy those fancy weapons and optics. Don't matter if they have disposable income or saved a year for it....cool is cool. Just don't bash my stuff because you went a different route than I.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I only have the one AR I put together. I have to admit it was far easier than I expected. My neighbor suggested it was a easy build with the barrel having dimples for the gas block set screws. He cracked a joke about that's what spending money on name brand parts gets you. I mentioned in another post that I am working on building one for my wife with a blemished upper and lower from PSA. I really don't care about brand as long as they are mil-spec and when they were on sale it seemed like a great deal. Once I get the INGO lower she will get that instead. I am jealous of people that have the ability to buy those fancy weapons and optics. Don't matter if they have disposable income or saved a year for it....cool is cool. Just don't bash my stuff because you went a different route than I.
    I will agree with you, as long as you don't think your current build is "just as good, or the same, or better than my Noveske, Colt, or BCM factory rifles! I have FrankenAR's as I've stated earlier, even with a proper build with proper spec parts, none of them are as good as my factory rifles. As an aside, I was paid to build/rebuild these rifles for several years. So, I do know of what I speak, and I was privy to the actual specs for a real M4, M4A1, M16, A1, and A2. I will admit the A4 was past my time, so I don't have anything for that other than what was published commercially. It isn't hard to do correctly, nor is it too expensive, to do it right, with the right(in spec) parts. The big difference being, when you think that a Model1 Sales, or a base PSA kit is the same as a BCM, Noveske, Colt, or Daniel Defense. It IS NOT TRUE, parts are not parts, lowers are not lowers, and uppers are not uppers. if as you sometimes read on INGO, that was true, the above mentioned wouldn't sell a single rifle, EVER! As has been stated over and over here in hundreds of threads, they are all the same, so buy whatever is cheapest.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I just consider them all to be ARs, they don't deserve the name of Frankengun. Now my MPA71 is a Frankengun, I mean a FN/FAL lower, Mac 10 upper, AR forend, Suomi drum magazine, HK QD Suppressor mount...that my friends is a Frankengun!

mpa71range.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

We are probably in different places in life. I get it, and I'll never judge you for it. I have no hate for your home build. I'm glad you have a rifle. Don't judge me for buying a factory built gun with a roll mark. I'm looking for something that runs flawless, and increases in value. The PSA fan boys spend all there time trying to get it to go bang every time. I'm past that

Every home built SBR build turns into it won't run right. Which buffer to run, it's over gassed, it's under gassed, etc. I've never had this problem buying a factory built Colt SBR.

At some point, we all die. All of our **** will be for sale some day, If not by you, maybe your kids. My factory, ready to run guns will always work, or I'll send them back. When I'm dead, my kids can sell them or send them back when they break. Doesn't matter to me, I'll be dead. A warranty and a box is worth more than you guys give it credit for.

My boys will get home built rifles. They will be from me, and hopefully they will be heirlooms that they will treasure. They damn sure won't be worth anything to sell.

SwingW/theWing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2015
    Bloomington
    We are probably in different places in life. I get it, and I'll never judge you for it. I have no hate for your home build. I'm glad you have a rifle. Don't judge me for buying a factory built gun with a roll mark. I'm looking for something that runs flawless, and increases in value. The PSA fan boys spend all there time trying to get it to go bang every time. I'm past that

Every home built SBR build turns into it won't run right. Which buffer to run, it's over gassed, it's under gassed, etc. I've never had this problem buying a factory built Colt SBR.

At some point, we all die. All of our **** will be for sale some day, If not by you, maybe your kids. My factory, ready to run guns will always work, or I'll send them back. When I'm dead, my kids can sell them or send them back when they break. Doesn't matter to me, I'll be dead. A warranty and a box is worth more than you guys give it credit for.

My boys will get home built rifles. They will be from me, and hopefully they will be heirlooms that they will treasure. They damn sure won't be worth anything to sell.

:yesway:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Crap, if I was eloquent with words, I could have saved a bunch of posts by waiting for you to post this! I still would have thrown in a jab at the "just as good as" crowd though!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Crap, if I was eloquent with words, I could have saved a bunch of posts by waiting for you to post this! I still would have thrown in a jab at the "just as good as" crowd though!
    We all want a rifle. We can't all afford a good one. I had an Olympic way back when, it went bang most of the time. :cool:
    I had three kids to feed back then, and there were more important things than roll marks and resale.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We all want a rifle. We can't all afford a good one. I had an Olympic way back when, it went bang most of the time. :cool:
    I had three kids to feed back then, and there were more important things than roll marks and resale.

You had 3..................I had 6 all total. I felt the same pressure.

You know how I am around machines. I get all weird and want to look inside.....Then I think I am smarter than those who designed it. I can make it better.......:)
    Sometimes I can.....then, well, that one time........:(

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't disagree, at 15, my first AR was an OLY factory CAR, 11.5" with 5.5" flash suppressor, and real deal aluminum collapsible stock. Thought it was the coolest thing ever, cost more than my first car(notCAR), and it wouldn't cycle a 20 round mag. $.39 worth of gas rings later it ran ok, but just ok, $7 worth of gas tube, and an actual pin, and it worked fine! I thought it was just as good as my more affluent buddies' Colt, but damned if his didn't work from the get go, and I was a newbie throwing parts at what I never should have bought had I just waited another paycheck or two! Since then, I've built or rebuilt, and or owned several hundred M16/AR pattern rifles, and for serious use, it will be a Colt, DD, BCM, Noveske, or LMT, built by the factory. I still put together rifles, carbines, and pistols, with quality high end parts, but they are nothing more than hobby/range toys. If half the home builders didn't want immediate gratification, and waited a couple more paychecks, we wouldn't have INg...I mean threads about under gassed, over gassed, what's the cheapest, etc.:)::popcorn:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You had 3..................I had 6 all total. I felt the same pressure.

You know how I am around machines. I get all weird and want to look inside.....Then I think I am smarter than those who designed it. I can make it better.......:)
    Sometimes I can.....then, well, that one time........:(
    Damned rep nazis, how can I not rep you for this post?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I haven't noticed it so much here but I hear it at gun shops and with friends of friends...why do people not like a AR that somebody built outside of a big name manufacturer. The other day my rifle was referred fans a frankengun. I didn't really care but I was curious if this was an elitist type attitude of just ignorance. My rifle has BCM barrel and BCG, VLtor A5 setup, Midwest Industries hand guard, and Mag Tactical upper/lower. This is not some rifle that I tossed together after I found a bunch of spare pieces. So what do you guys say about this kinda of attitude?

You keep right on building. Those twerps probably can't manage to clean their stuff right much less know enough to diagnose and fix a problem in the field. YOU do.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

are you drinking? This was a beautiful post. :):

like it has been already mentioned, frankenbuild AR's is just a term used to describe a home built AR. Period. Non factory.
    In my experience 90% of builders don't FULLY know how to properly build an AR. There's more to it than watching a YouTube video. Experience counts for something. Would you buy a car from a guy who built it at his home and learned how from a video for the same price as from the factory? Or even for the same price as a master mechanic who has built cars his whole life? If you would you're a dumb ass.
    Same goes for AR's. Not all parts are created equal and not all builders are either. The buyer of a home built AR is taking a percentage of risk. That comes off the price tag. Don't like it? Don't sell it.

sure someone can build a better (more accurate and maybe more reliable) gun than a factory gun for less. But even if it's a better AR, unless you have a reputation behind your name then your gun will always be worth less.
    its common sense people. Sometimes life isn't fair but it's realistic.

Alnost everyday I talk to people who think they know how to build AR's that after 2 minutes of talking with them I can promise you they don't. But there's no telling them anything.

Top Bottom