• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have multiple ARs and have had ZERO problems from my quality store bought guns.
    My most recent AR is a build and I had a problem with it. Faulty gas block. it would stop up every 100+ rounds and rifle wouldn't cycle. I knew it had to be a gas issue but a poorly manufactured gas block never entered my mind. I only found out exactly what it was after 3 teardowns and cleaning the block out. I replaced the block with a BCM and the rifle is flawless in performance now.
    No more "cheap" or "bargain" tree parts for me.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I encourage all my buddies to try building an AR, after they have owned one. I'll fess up- my first home build wasn't indexed properly, and my gas key and gas tube decided to get in a fight in the midst of a 4-day rifle class. Fortunately, we had spares, but I learned from my mistake, and now fully understand indexing and how to (correctly) build an upper.

As everyone has said, a home-built AR probably won't sell for what you have in it. I'm okay with that, but I also wouldn't appreciate anyone looking down on my guns simply because I built them rather than a factory worker. I have run thousands of rounds since, and would happily trust my life to my builds now. It's a learning process, and someone buying your gun doesn't know how far along that process you are. You can't fault them for being cautious, but there's no need to be rude either.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I encourage all my buddies to try building an AR, after they have owned one. I'll fess up- my first home build wasn't indexed properly, and my gas key and gas tube decided to get in a fight in the midst of a 4-day rifle class. Fortunately, we had spares, but I learned from my mistake, and now fully understand indexing and how to (correctly) build an upper.

As everyone has said, a home-built AR probably won't sell for what you have in it. I'm okay with that, but I also wouldn't appreciate anyone looking down on my guns simply because I built them rather than a factory worker. I have run thousands of rounds since, and would happily trust my life to my builds now. It's a learning process, and someone buying your gun doesn't know how far along that process you are. You can't fault them for being cautious, but there's no need to be rude either.
    I don't feel that I've ever been rude, and I'm a self-professed AR/M-16 snob! I own parts guns that are built correctly, but I do not equate them as the same or better than a factory rifle by one of the aforementioned QUALITY manufacturers. Some can build a better mousetrap in a one-off deal, but it DOES cost more than $500! I've seen built rifles shoot sub-MOA, but they actually cost more than a Knights Armament factory rifle to build, while only marginally improving the mousetrap. My only gripe, and I've been one of the big trumpeters of QUALITY factory rifles, is when someone thinks their PSA low line, Model 1, OLY, Bushy, et. al, is as good as an $800 PROPERLY BUILT AND SPEC'd 6920! Or worse when their "custom built, lubed with gas station fried chicken grease, parts bought from the bottom of the gun show parts bin, assembled after a 12vr of Bud, with a Gerber multi-tool, fed with steel cased, cow dung filled cartridges, in a Promag magazine, shows up to a carbine class, and stops the whole firing line because the wishbone from the gas station fried chicken breast was stuck in the FCG! Parts, AIN'T parts, and QUALITY isn't found at the lowest price! Can you build a VERY good rifle out of parts, YES YOU CAN! Can you build a better than factory QUALITY rifle for less than the same in a factory build, YES you can, (but not much less)! Can you build a QUALITY rifle for $500 and expect it to perform as well as a QUALITY FACTORY BUILT, I don't think so?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't feel that I've ever been rude, and I'm a self-professed AR/M-16 snob! I own parts guns that are built correctly, but I do not equate them as the same or better than a factory rifle by one of the aforementioned QUALITY manufacturers. Some can build a better mousetrap in a one-off deal, but it DOES cost more than $500! I've seen built rifles shoot sub-MOA, but they actually cost more than a Knights Armament factory rifle to build, while only marginally improving the mousetrap. My only gripe, and I've been one of the big trumpeters of QUALITY factory rifles, is when someone thinks their PSA low line, Model 1, OLY, Bushy, et. al, is as good as an $800 PROPERLY BUILT AND SPEC'd 6920! Or worse when their "custom built, lubed with gas station fried chicken grease, parts bought from the bottom of the gun show parts bin, assembled after a 12vr of Bud, with a Gerber multi-tool, fed with steel cased, cow dung filled cartridges, in a Promag magazine, shows up to a carbine class, and stops the whole firing line because the wishbone from the gas station fried chicken breast was stuck in the FCG! Parts, AIN'T parts, and QUALITY isn't found at the lowest price! Can you build a VERY good rifle out of parts, YES YOU CAN! Can you build a better than factory QUALITY rifle for less than the same in a factory build, YES you can, (but not much less)! Can you build a QUALITY rifle for $500 and expect it to perform as well as a QUALITY FACTORY BUILT, I don't think so?

Well there's a problem... Everyone knows you should use BACON grease. :p

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I trust my home builds as much as I do any factory rifle. I use quality parts. My only complaint is the cost of building. It is certainly not cheaper.

I have seen lots of issues from factory builds. I had a DPMS I had nothing but issues with. But then I had a Windham and a m&p (not a sport retail was over 1k) and they ran fine.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I trust my home builds as much as I do any factory rifle. I use quality parts. My only complaint is the cost of building. It is certainly not cheaper.

I have seen lots of issues from factory builds. I had a DPMS I had nothing but issues with. But then I had a Windham and a m&p (not a sport retail was over 1k) and they ran fine.
    Those aren't QUALITY factory rifles!

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Why not subscribe to a long ranting thread....? I don't own a factory AR anymore, probably never will again. My only exception would be a Noveske or BCM, but I'd probably buy their parts and build myself anyway. My only "issues" I've had was a less than steller upper I bought from DSA (Their first batch of complete AR uppers I think they made, $250?). I attribute that to a first run lemon or something. I gave it to my dad for a use as pretty much a dedicated 22lr upper. I've used nothing but quality parts ever since and I've never had a problem. I sold a "parts gun" build a while back which I actually really liked ( but it funded a reloader).
    Would I pay good money for a home build? It depends on the parts list. Some generic looking upper at a gun show, hell no. Feel free to degrade my builds, they work well. In hind sight I should have bought a high end rifle, I would have probably saved money... :)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I was wondering last night about my nice store bought rifles.
    I've upgraded optics, stocks, flash hiders, triggers, slings, etc.
    Does these modifications make them qualify as Franken Guns?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Heh, this thread reminds me of folks buying parts from track of the wolf to build muzzleloaders and then arguing over what's historically correct.

Top Bottom