• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    When I was a drinker, my hangover prevention cocktail was 2 Excedrin 1 "Super B Complex" vitamin, and a minimum of 20oz of water right before bed. You'll wake up like you didn't even drink.

And if you are really drunk you will probably wake up really wet as well.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    I usually dont get hungover...i mean, most of the time i feel like crap, just not what i would consider hungover (most of the bad feeling is shame :):). If its going to be a crazy night (bachelor parties, etc.) I usually pop a few Excedrin and a couple B12 vitamins right before bed...washed down with as much water as i can stand. Right as rain in the am :yesway::yesway:

But, as you and others have pointed out, you don't always have the opportunity to put defensive measures into play...if this is the case, here is my game plan:

Pop something for the headache and chug water as soon as i get up.

Follow up with a big greasy breakfast like others have mentioned...eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, biscuits, everything delicious...chocolate milk with breakfast (a few glasses, but not too much that your stomach hurts from all the lactose...body can only process so much at a time)...then coffee.

No matter how bad i want to, i never get back in bed...i find that the more im up and active, the quicker i feel better (similar to the person how posted work out...there might be something to that)

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Good tips everyone! In honor of the holiday weekend, I'm bringing this back to the top in hopes that others will benefit.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So I've recently discovered my new favorite cure. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what... but it works GREAT for me.

Prairie Oyster... and a variation of it.

Drop a raw egg into a cocktail glass, splash of Worcestershire, dash of salt/pepper, and a bit of Tabasco sauce if you want some extra flavor. Bottoms-up!

However, more often, I do a raw egg mixed with low-sodium spicy V8 juice. Chug that down, and I feel more mobile and perky just minutes after. V8 apparently is great for hydration, and the protein will soak up the alcohol.

Alternatively with the Oyster, you could add a splash of gin for the Hair of the Dog angle

tumblr_m1xzjsz0cK1qb1m9to1_500.gif

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I get 3 shredded chicken burritos from Taco Bell with a large 1/2 & 1/2 and within an hr I feel great. I think its the coiled rice soaking up the booze.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Here are a few tricks that I have learned. Some of this is a repeat of what others have said, but I consider it to be my all inclusive drinking plan.

1. If I know I am going out, I hydrate all day before I go. I run long distances for exercise on a regular basis, so I typically keep myself hydrated all the time anyway. So my running plan and drinking plan complement each other. Stay away from soft drinks. Don't over do the coffee either. I try to limit myself to 2 cups if I am going out that evening.

2. Once I go out, I stay with the decent quality stuff. It doesn't have to be top shelf, but don't let them pull out the well stuff. After 2 drinks, I have a glass of water. After 2 more, I have a glass of water. From that point on, each drink gets a glass of water.

3. All throughout, I munch on something salty. When running marathons, runners take salt packets, and sometimes runs have pickle juice at water stops, especially when you get to Ironman events. The idea is, that when you get dehydrated, your salt content gets low. In extreme situations, if you just hydrate but don't replenish the salt, you can die. Not likely to occur from drinking, but I find that keeping a bit of salt in me throughout the evening, helps. Its all about keeping your body in balance.

4. All the water in between drinks, also keeps me from drinking too much alcohol. I sustain a nice buzz, have a good time, but don't get stupid. Also, fewer drinks, but higher quality drinks cost the same as a bunch of crap drinks.

5. Drink 2 glasses of water and take 2 excedrin before bed.

6. Gatorade is ok, but NEVER EVER drink the red Gatorade when you are drinking. The combination of the red dye and stomach acids really stains things. Not just carpet and cloth, but showers too. Don't ask me how I know this.:n00b:

7. The next morning, I eat breakfast, have coffee, and drink orange juice. The body needs to replenish it's sugars too. Usually, I don't feel hung over if I have followed the above steps. If I am feeling a bit bad, I treat myself to a McDonald's Coke. It seems to calm the stomach a bit. Plus, I rarely drink soft drinks, so it is a nice treat.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    So I've recently discovered my new favorite cure. I don't know if it's the placebo effect or what... but it works GREAT for me.

Drop a raw egg into a cocktail glass, splash of Worcestershire, dash of salt/pepper, and a bit of Tabasco sauce if you want some extra flavor. Bottoms-up!

However, more often, I do a raw egg mixed with low-sodium spicy V8 juice. Chug that down, and I feel more mobile and perky just minutes after. V8 apparently is great for hydration, and the protein will soak up the alcohol.

Alternatively with the Oyster, you could add a splash of gin for the Hair of the Dog angle

Just the thought of that makes me wanna puke.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The only thing that has fixed it for me is hydration and sleep/rest. Usually some food too. I have tried a lot of remedies and if drinking lots of water and Gatorade with a pill or two doesn't work I just have to man up and get on with it if I want to be productive. I don't really drink anymore but used to I either wasn't hungover or it was death.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Befriend a nurse or medic with questionable ethics. A liter of saline and B-12 shot and you're good to go!

I have seen paramedics hook each other up to fluids before... Kind of sad when you see it day after day though.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    It's been a while since I needed it, But. Two Aleve and a glass of ice water, then a Bloody Mary and substitute hot sauce for the vodka, then a plate of home fries, three poached eggs over the potatoes, a bowl of chili with lots more hot sauce poured over the eggs, whole wheat toast, and washed down with lots of black coffee. And, by the time you get off work this afternoon, you will be feeling so good you will be the first one heading to the bar for a cold one.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Yeah, an ounce of prevention....

I'm generally not a drinker, but was celebrating leaving my job officially and going into business for myself. I probably drank a few too many different things, on top of too much all around.

Clearly you stated the perfect answer to your own question.
    1.) you are not a drinker
    2.) you broke rule number one, you mixed different drinks
    3.) and you knew you had too much all around.

So go ahead and punch through the screen , DO NOT DRINK !

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Clearly you stated the perfect answer to your own question.
    1.) you are not a drinker
    2.) you broke rule number one, you mixed different drinks
    3.) and you knew you had too much all around.

So go ahead and punch through the screen , DO NOT DRINK !

You've earned it.

chuck-norris-punch.gif

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI

I was skeptical, but after getting Ted Kennedy drunk I gave this a whirl. It's shockingly effective on several fronts; namely, makes the stomach feel better, seems to speed up hydration (probably the salt), and overpowers the terrible taste in the mouth. The hot sauce is a must.

Top Bottom