• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I thought that was necessary. I sent that to Guy already but I havent sent it in as a complaint yet.
    To Guy, yes. In a complaint, why? They made requests outside of their authority to enforce and unreasonably disarmed you. Someone may come along and tell me otherwise; I will defer to those with experience. But given that it sounds like your complaint will go nowhere and isn't likely to be read due to politics, you don't need to increase the likelihood that it gets round-filed without a reading because the disinterested party sees a short novel in front of him.

YMMV

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    It is not a legal requirement to hand over ID, and they certainly had no right or reason to disarm you. If you are on public property verifying LTCH should be the end of transaction.

Since you were carrying on your own property there is no need for LTCH at all. Although that does raise the question of, how do they verify you are the property owner without identification.

Who rakes someone else's lawn? ;)

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Ok - so is it against federal law to tamper with someone else's mailbox, and place a firearm in a mailbox?

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    You know, it would be nice if there was some way for these poor police officers to be able to know things like this. If only the police had some kinda academy. Maybe a police academy or something like that.
    Maybe they could know the law, that they are trying to enforce.

Or they could come here and we could tell em!

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    To Guy, yes. In a complaint, why? They made requests outside of their authority to enforce and unreasonably disarmed you. Someone may come along and tell me otherwise; I will defer to those with experience. But given that it sounds like your complaint will go nowhere and isn't likely to be read due to politics, you don't need to increase the likelihood that it gets round-filed without a reading because the disinterested party sees a short novel in front of him.

YMMV

Perhaps Guy will have some advice. I have some time to file so I can wait for that and/or consensus and input here.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    You'd really think by now that police agencies would be telling their officers to come to INGO and read what NOT to do, but I think it makes them feel fancy in situations like these.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    My take is, and this is coming from someone who would like to be in LE but still very active in the gun community, it's verified that he has a LTCH, the officer should have left after that. Ideally, the encounter should have been something along the lines of "Do you live here? Have a nice day." Questioning the officer on whether you need to present the LTCH is not hassling the LEO, it's the other way around. I don't go around questioning LEOs or hassling them, or anything, and I expect the same sans RAS. OF course, implying that one is a nuisance to the officer and may have a "mangina" because they are asking questions during an encounter, could possibly mean that you aren't willing to stand up to officers if you feel you aren't doing something wrong and would like to know what the law is. I, for one, won't be walked on by a LEO who thinks he knows what the law is when I'm sure of what the law says.
    I would have handed let them know it's my property and I'm in compliance.

Every situation is different. I prefer not to draw funny lines in the sand with anyone, particularly someone who might erroneously arrest me. It doesn't mean that there are no boundaries, just that I prefer to set them and not let a situation that can be resolved with an ID escalate.

Like I said, that's me. But, I've learned there are no old, bold gunfighters. If I have to fight, I want it to be over something more ideological than an ID.

Top Bottom