• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    It would have been worth it. I might even call a lawyer just for even being disarmed on my own property, worse thing the lawyer could say is it is not worth his time

If I can raise the money it would be worth it. I guess I just need to call the Hammond police dept and tell them I want to file a complaint and see what info I get on how to go about it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    So I was correct. Still, my firearm would have been [STRIKE]impounded[/STRIKE] stolen and I would have to [STRIKE]take it from there[/STRIKE] levy charges next time. I tried to explain to them my "resistance" to the request, in that a Hammond LEO told me I couldnt OC. They both said that was incorrect that I could. I said, ok, he was misinformed, if you are as well, that isnt fair to you guys, it does not make your job easier. I even asked if they had a copy of the ordinances in the car so they could show me I was wrong and I would fine with that. They said we dont have that.

FIFY.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    How do I start the process

I would start by writing a letter or email to the Chief explaining what happened. Stick to the facts and keep the tone civil. Maybe ask if there is a formal process for filing a complaint. Then follow up with a phone call.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You obviously are not a lawbreaker or you wouldn't have an LTCH. My take on it is to smile and get the LEO's on their way as soon as possible. If you continue to carry, they (or another car) will likely get the call again. If you are pleasant and not confrontational, they may opt not to do more than drive by and not stop. If you are a pain, it could be another 30 minutes out of your day...

Why waste the time. You don't get a merit badge for hassling LEO or attempting to educate them in that situation.

Of course, that's just me, but last time I looked I didn't have a mangina from treating my local LEO's with respect and courtesy.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Well the official hammond police website has an online pdf form to fill out complaints but it's glitchy on my browser. I'll try to download and fill it out later.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    On MY property? I wouldn't have handed them a damned thing. They can arrest me or get lost. And the next time I'm working in the yard I'm carrying my AK.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You obviously are not a lawbreaker or you wouldn't have an LTCH. My take on it is to smile and get the LEO's on their way as soon as possible. If you continue to carry, they (or another car) will likely get the call again. If you are pleasant and not confrontational, they may opt not to do more than drive by and not stop. If you are a pain, it could be another 30 minutes out of your day...

Why waste the time. You don't get a merit badge for hassling LEO or attempting to educate them in that situation.

Of course, that's just me, but last time I looked I didn't have a mangina from treating my local LEO's with respect and courtesy.

Who was hassling who?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have full respect for LEO and all people in general but I'm not being bullied by nobody on my property. If all your facts are true I would sell all of my possessions if need be to get an attorney and take those clowns down.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

So, you think it is best to forget your rights and just bow down to whatever the LEOs want? This type of thinking is why some of them feel at ease trampling on people's rights.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If I can raise the money it would be worth it. I guess I just need to call the Hammond police dept and tell them I want to file a complaint and see what info I get on how to go about it.
    You should be able to talk to a lawyer without a fee. I think that his fees would be paid by the city if a lawsuit was successful.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

You might respect and choose to allocate courtesy to LEOs that try to intimidate and coerce you into doing things that they have no legit legal grounds to do but some of us see things just a wee bit differently.

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    They said they both supported gun rights, just want to make sure we are doing it correctly.
    Yeah, RIIIIGHT. Correctly according to how they think you should. They should start by doing their job correctly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While you probably should file a complaint, we are talking about HAMMOND.
    Mayor McCheese has already stated his dislike for gunowners, and the obstacles he will throw up to us.
    Hammond was sued to remove ordnances in violation of Indiana Code, and to remove signs prohibiting carry at places that are LEGAL to carry at.
    Hammond won the case, because they had not arrested anyone for those violations.
    The ruling was, the books can show a law, and signs can tell you that that is the law, as long as they don't enforce it.

To me, this is B friggin S.

My advice (worthless, since I Am Not A Lawyer) is to call Guy Relford. He was the lawyer that took Hammond to court.
    Maybe he can use this to show they are going after gun owners.
    Maybe not.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You didn't even need a license on your own damn property, I would have told them to pound sand, they can arrest me or get lost.

You do not even have to have your LTCH on you when you are out in public anymore, the officers were ****ing idiots.

I would file a complaint.

^^^^This^^^^
    The coppers were wrong, period.
    How do I start the process
    Download the form from their website and drive it to police HQ and hand deliver it.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    1. Call Guy Relford.
    2. If Guy says it's ok, file a complaint with the police department with a c.c. to the board of public works and safety, your district councilman and the councilmen at large.
    3. C.C. a copy of the complaint to the nwi gazette and the post tribune. I wouldn't bother with the times as they are bought and paid for by the mayor.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    On MY property? I wouldn't have handed them a damned thing. They can arrest me or get lost. And the next time I'm working in the yard I'm carrying my AK.

I have an AK. I admit I thought to myself, they are lucky I wasnt carrying that, maybe I should next time, the added weight would be good exercise.

Top Bottom