• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can start fishing now. No need to wait for the lawsuit to make its way through the legal system. As of July 1st the Hammond ordinances became invalid.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    No, to the contrary - the NRA sent him a letter that said that by not repealing the illegal ordinances, the City of Hammond was in violaton of Indiana law. I have a copy.

I guess the letter from the NRA was read at the city council meeting last night. I was in school so I couldn't attend, but I'm sure it went over like a lead balloon.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    NRA Letter to Mayor of Hammond

I guess the letter from the NRA was read at the city council meeting last night. I was in school so I couldn't attend, but I'm sure it went over like a lead balloon.

Here's what it said:

"Dear Mayor McDermott,

An article entitled Council Defeats Gun Ordinance; City Exposed to Potential Lawsuits, posted August 23, 2011 on HammondDaily.net, was recently brought to the attention of the National Rifle Association. The article outlines your allegedly hostile response to a proposal from Councilwoman Kim Poland to amend your City's firearms ordinances to comply with state law.

The National Rifle Association has nationwide expertise with firearms laws and worked closely with the author of the law in question, IC 35-47-11.1. The law prohibits political subdivisions from regulating "the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories" as well as "commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories" IC-35-47-11.1-2(2).

The City of Hammond is a political subdivision of Indiana, as defined in IC 3-5-2-38, subjecting it to the preemptive authority of IC 35-47-11.1. As IC 35-47-11.3 notes, "[a]ny provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of propriety authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity; (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter; is void." (emphasis added).

It is our hope that this letter will help you better understand the preemptive authority of IC-35-47-11.1 and provide you with the opportunity to publicly declare that the City will cease enforcement of the violating ordinances while the Council works to revoke them. Under no circumstance do we support or endorse maintaining the violating ordinances in the City Code of Ordinances.

Failure to take prompt action while you wait for your "Legislature to explain why it's OK" will result in suit by the National Rifle Association on behalf of our members in Hammond under the organizational standing provision contained in IC 35-47-11.1-6.

Sincerely,

James M . Baranowski
    Associate Legislative Counsel
    NRA/ILA

Cc: Kris Kantor"

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So, I got a phone call today:
    "Hi Mr. B, this is xxxx with the committee to re-elect Mayor McDermott..."
    I politely refused the request to put a sign in my yard, although in retrospect I should have said yes.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So, I got a phone call today:
    "Hi Mr. B, this is xxxx with the committee to re-elect Mayor McDermott..."
    I politely refused the request to put a sign in my yard, although in retrospect I should have said yes.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    darth-vader-epic-fail.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hey, don't know if this is still current but I found this code for E.Chicago, Indiana.

§​
    136.08 AUTOMATIC OR
    SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLES.
    (A) Any person who owns or possesses any
    automatic or semi-automatic rifle shall
    be fined and
    the weapon or weapons shall be confiscated.
    (B) The provisions of this section shall not
    be

construed to apply to the members of the military or
    naval forces of the United States, National Guard of
    the state or State Guard when on duty or practicing;
    also any law enforcement officers of this state or the
    United States while acting in the furtherance of their
    duties.
    (1995 Code,§ 9.28.080) (Ord. 3486, passed- -1989)
    Weapons
    §
    136.99 PENALTY.

(A)
    Generally. Any person violating any
    provision of this chapter, for which no other penalty
    is provided, shall
    be subject to the penalty provisions
    of§ 10.99.

(B)​
    Automatic or semi-automatic rifles.

(1) Any person who owns or possesses any
    automatic or semi-automatic rifle in violation of
    §​
    136.08 shall be fined up to $1,000 and the weapon
    or weapons shall be confiscated.
    (2) The fact that the weapon is loaded shall
    also be an offense punishable by fine and confiscation.

(1995 Code,
    § 9.28.080) (Ord. 3486, passed- -1989)

and I found it here:

http://www.eastchicago.com/i-want-to-know-about/ec_municipal_codes_2.pdf

BTW I did a bit more reading this AWB is for ANYONE who is in the EC area. So it's not just for a RESIDENT of EC but for anyone that goes to EC.

Now I'm not sure if the code is still on the books. No way to tell from online looks like it will require a call, email, letter to EC to get that answer.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    BTW I did a bit more reading this AWB is for ANYONE who is in the EC area. So it's not just for a RESIDENT of EC but for anyone that goes to EC.

Now I'm not sure if the code is still on the books. No way to tell from online looks like it will require a call, email, letter to EC to get that answer.
    Hey, get your own thread!
    :):

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    I guess i am not the only one that find the times as brown nose of the cities around nw indiana, some news do not make more as far as the braking news, get few lines and go away even more, some news that are not convenient for the officials,do not allow you for coments on the online section.

Top Bottom