• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    It appears that anti-carry legislation has previously had such an easy ride in Hammond, that the mayor believes he can just ignore the state law, and it'll be allright. Haven't we gun owners always been told that we can't just ignore the law, because we don't like it? and that "If you don't like it, then get it changed!" (always in the voice of righteous indignation)......... OOOOPS!!
    Kudos to Guy! We'll all be following this one closely.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Folks: please record and preserve this video. I wouldn't be surprised if it disapears from YouTube sometime soon.

Download as well. I can put in on a CD/DVD for you if you need it in the future. :)

I am, call me Sam though, Samuel sounds too official :yesway:

Nope you are Mr. Dykstra from now on. ;)
    & probably City of Hammond public enemy #1. :D

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Technically it was not the mayor that asked for this or is at fault. It was the city council as they failed to pass a new set of rules in their meeting to strike-out the illegal ordianances. So since they failed to that the Mayor had nothing to sign/veto. Now granted the Mayor would have vetoed it but he did not get a chance to.

Actually...

Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. spoke against the proposal at the meeting, despite the city's potential exposure to litigation.
    "If it's state law, let's let our Legislature explain why it's OK. I think a problem in Hammond is gun violence, and we're saying let's carry more guns," McDermott said.
    Poland tried to withdraw the ordinance after a brief but tense exchange with McDermott, but the council members most often aligned with the mayor forced the measure to a vote.
    The proposal was voted down.
    "If I sign it, I violate my principles. If I don't sign it, we get sued," McDermott said.

He spoke out against it, and then griped about violating his "principles" or being sued. He asked for it. The part in red also says that the council members forced a vote because they follow the mayor.

They're all a bunch of morons.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Actually...

He spoke out against it, and then griped about violating his "principles" or being sued. He asked for it. The part in red also says that the council members forced a vote because they follow the mayor.

They're all a bunch of morons.

Agree but again it was the council and NOT the mayor that technically voted against this. Now like I said before even if the council passed it (they did not have the votes) the mayor was still going to veto it and at that point I would say then that the Mayor indeed was TECHNICALLY at fault. At the end of the day however they are all at fault. The majority council won't go against the mayor. He has the power via the Lake County Democratic chair he holds to ensure that any D councilperson who goes against him will have a very hard time getting re-elected. The few Rs on the council are due to small pockets of R areas in the district & to make it look like it is balanced.

They are not morons but are ensuring their own survival. You do NOT go against the D Lake County Party Chair period if you want to stay alive in the political world of Lake County. The hammond mayor is NOT as powerful as the prior D Lake County Chair (Pastrick, former mayor of EC) however. Now Pastrick had real power that even extended outside of lake county.

At the end of the day the City of Hammond is going to have to pay for this lawsuit. Too bad that it won't come out of the personal pockets of the Mayor and city council. So in essence they won't learn. But then again as has been posted in the Hammond Times comments. This is very good business for the mayor's atty friends who will be hired by the city to defend it's losing position.

You see where this is going?

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Politics aside, I was specifically referring to the quote of him saying "If I sign, I violate my principles, if I don't sign, we get sued."

At that point, he's asking for it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Politics aside, I was specifically referring to the quote of him saying "If I sign, I violate my principles, if I don't sign, we get sued."

At that point, he's asking for it.

No he is not asking for it. He would violate his principles if he did sign it. YOU ARE NOT THINKING OF THE CHILDREN!!! THE CHILDREN!!!! THE CHILDREN!!!!!!
    Now I see there is no changing your mind about this so please just PM your name & address and I'll make sure to report you to the proper re-educmation agency so you WILL see that you were wrong. :laugh:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I am all for this. Also hoping that the .gov will see a responsible gun owner(s) work through the process correctly. And realize that we will not just let it go.

Big congratulations and I would like to be kept updated as well.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Fast forward to the 19 minute 40 second mark

Oh man I just had a chance to see the video and wow just wow!
    First left bad for the council woman she did not seems all that prepared saying federal bldg instead of state bldg but it's forgive as she hot. :D

44cf3ca2b3e4f66cf6b13666b1b6c852.jpg

and
    4c4520700ae5a.image.jpg

Did you see how the Mayor "beat her up" when she tried to call the city atty back for more clarification and the mayor said "we are done".

But at 35:30 she does fight back to a point. :)

Also I've never been to a city council meeting & this is the first one I ever see. Does the public get to say anything?

Top Bottom