• ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Insider trading

Insider trading would be in the stock market. Unless you're saying he unloaded properties before passing legislation that would have devalued them?

Either way I do think anyone in any elected office should be barred from owning stocks and forced to sell them to be inaugurated.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd much rather have politicians get rich from NYC real estate, frozen steaks, and TV shows.
    I’m not gonna say you’re saying things you didn’t say. But what seems to be underlying this is a sense that Trump’s source of wealth makes him unfit for the presidency. He did okay as POTUS on balance. Right up until he tried that cockamamie far fetched legal theory to reinstate himself. Do you think that the way he earned his wealth is predicted this behavior?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Insider trading would be in the stock market. Unless you're saying he unloaded properties before passing legislation that would have devalued them?

Either way I do think anyone in any elected office should be barred from owning stocks and forced to sell them to be inaugurated.
    Disagree. While executing the office of POTUS there should not be even be the appearance of conflicts of interest. If you want to wield the power to favor some corporations over others, sell your stock first and put your money in a blind trust.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I'm going to agree with jamil on this. When you have a government that spends so much money and regulation on companies, they should not be able to financially benefit from those transactions and knowledge. You complain about outright bribes, but those pale in comparison to the amount of money made through stock.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm going to agree with jamil on this. When you have a government that spends so much money and regulation on companies, they should not be able to financially benefit from those transactions and knowledge. You complain about outright bribes, but those pale in comparison to the amount of money made through stock.
    Though I generally agree here, what are the unintended consequences? Does it further limit the pool of possible candidates? Does this just squeeze the air to the other end of the balloon and have family or associates make the inside deals?

Would a law that congress cannot participate in matters involving stock or companies they own nor can they buy stock or companies for a period of time after of participation work?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You think that pro Trump delegates will vote for Haley over Desantis or Ramaswamy?
    Seems like I’ve read Trump is facing 91 felony indictments. You know that the system will ensure that nothing will happen with regards to convicting him until after the nomination or at least after the nomination is all but wrapped up. I’d like to think the GOP PTB have a contingency plan for replacing Trump should he actually get snagged by one or more of those indictments and have to go to jail.

A round about way of saying if I had to forecast the future I don’t think the delegates will get a chance to vote (if the axe falls after the convention).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Though I generally agree here, what are the unintended consequences? Does it further limit the pool of possible candidates? Does this just squeeze the air to the other end of the balloon and have family or associates make the inside deals?
    I think we should weed out those that go to congress just to get rich.

Wouldn't the family be open to actual insider trading charges? I'd have to look more into that to see if it would apply or not.

Would a law that congress cannot participate in matters involving stock or companies they own nor can they buy stock or companies for a period of time after of participation work?
    Possibly. I think the blind trust might work for the most part as well.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think we should weed out those that go to congress just to get rich.

Wouldn't the family be open to actual insider trading charges? I'd have to look more into that to see if it would apply or not.

Possibly. I think the blind trust might work for the most part as well.
    So a candidate or family have owned IBM stock for 40 years but to be a representative they must sell that stock? No business owners can run for office with selling their business? Put it all in blind trusts?

Sounds more like a way the swamp would keep successful business people out.

The left hates it that Trump has the money to stand up to them.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ignore Trump, Biden, and congress.

If we really want to start cleaning up politics start with every city council and county council. If you are elected to any city or county office no relative or family member may bid on any state or local contracts. If you are elected to State office no family member or relative may bid on any state or local contracts.

All corruption should be minimized. I say minimized because you will never get rid all of it but we should go after the really low hanging fruit.

Regards,

Doug

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Disagree. While executing the office of POTUS there should not be even be the appearance of conflicts of interest. If you want to wield the power to favor some corporations over others, sell your stock first and put your money in a blind trust.
    You and KLB are saying you disagree with me but are repeating back what I said to me.

Either I'm missing something or you both missed an operative word in what I said.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’m not gonna say you’re saying things you didn’t say. But what seems to be underlying this is a sense that Trump’s source of wealth makes him unfit for the presidency. He did okay as POTUS on balance. Right up until he tried that cockamamie far fetched legal theory to reinstate himself. Do you think that the way he earned his wealth is predicted this behavior?
    He doesn't want to turn back people from s***hole countries, he wants to do their taxes for them; hence the Trump hate

Enablers
    gonna' enable

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So a candidate or family have owned IBM stock for 40 years but to be a representative they must sell that stock? No business owners can run for office with selling their business? Put it all in blind trusts?

Sounds more like a way the swamp would keep successful business people out.

The left hates it that Trump has the money to stand up to them.
    No. Fortunes are not generally made in the owning of stocks, it is in the trading of them. They can own it while in office, they cannot sell or buy while in office.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No. Fortunes are not generally made in the owning of stocks, it is in the trading of them. They can own it while in office, they cannot sell or buy while in office.
    Just to draconian of a response to the situation for me. I can see that congress must have accounts that trades are public within minutes of being made real time. Then one could buy the Pelosi fund that buys and sells what she does…

Top Bottom