Had my dorm room searched by school officials...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I smell a good and profitable lawsuit here.

I don't. In order to have a lawsuit you have to have damages, and the odds of winning that suit are slim at best, so you're going to have a lot of money out of pocket to even get started, which you will never recoup.

But it's easy to puff up and talk about suing the crap out of everyone involved when you're on the net. The real world doesn't work like that.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I don't. In order to have a lawsuit you have to have damages, and the odds of winning that suit are slim at best, so you're going to have a lot of money out of pocket to even get started, which you will never recoup.

But it's easy to puff up and talk about suing the crap out of everyone involved when you're on the net. The real world doesn't work like that.

Saying there are no damages when it has not all played out is a little premature, is it not?

I see where the "repairmans " company might want to make a settlement to not persue further action. You know the threat of bad PR goes along way.:D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Saying there are no damages when it has not all played out is a little premature, is it not?

I see where the "repairmans " company might want to make a settlement to not persue further action. You know the threat of bad PR goes along way.:D

I thought lawyers were called sleazy for these kind of tactics?

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Without starting the whole drug conversation.

IF the repairman had found a bag of dope, I am sure there are some faculty members that would come to his defense and argue rights violations, HOWEVER, on most campus' I doubt any faculty would care about a "Pro-gun" person's rights.

Bottom line is "We scare them" just by our existence on the planet with no threats made or inferred. We are different and our minds won't be changed therefore we must be bad.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    That dude shouldn't have gone through your stuff but while your in a dorm room you got to play by their rules. I won't make a big stink about this. If your college is anything like colleges I know, they have a list of people waiting to take your place and I guarantee they can find a good enough reason to give you the boot if you cause too much trouble.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    While I don't agree with it being banned. I'm pretty sure that I could make casings into what would be defined as dangerous ordinace pretty easily. It does take other materials, but it's still easy to do. Takes just a few seconds to reload a casing. Might want to consider this angle too.

Hope it works out for you. Generally the trophy pieces of ammo have the bullet in, but are drilled out so they can't be reloaded without some metal work being done.

Also, is it your desk that was searched or the schools? Some dorms those are provided.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Why was a repair man allowed access to your room unsupervised ?
    why was he "searching" your desk ?

Did you sign a document stating you were giving up your rights ?
    oh I forgot you are in the peoples republic of Ohio, never mind.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    As has been posted in different ways above: A college dorm room isn't the same as a private apartment. The OP needs to check into just what conditions he agreed on when he moved in. Dorms are often a trade off. The student gets the convenience of handy laundry facilities and cafeterias, but the intrusion of resident assistant's and other petty BS. This is why older students often move off campus.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    As has been posted in different ways above: A college dorm room isn't the same as a private apartment. The OP needs to check into just what conditions he agreed on when he moved in. Dorms are often a trade off. The student gets the convenience of handy laundry facilities and cafeterias, but the intrusion of resident assistant's and other petty BS. This is why older students often move off campus.

+1

This is exactly how it is.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Tell the college they were given to you by your minority gay lover while on a harrassment raid at a local gun range to protest the use of weapons, on the way back from protesting a Tea Party rally while driving your new Govt Motors Volt and singing give peace a chance, and that you see them a trophy and a statement against firearms and educational material to inform your fellow students as to how many evil types of guns there are in the hands of those people known as Tea Partiers that are clinging to their guns and religion.

Also inform them if they search your room again you will stage a sit in protest in front of the student union about the harassment from the establishment and "The Man", while wearing your tie-dye, beads, Ho Chi Minh sandals, and all the while unbathed for about 2 weeks.

repped for creativity

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Was this at Franciscan U?

Yes it was. My issue is not with them searching my room, they have that right. When I signed the various documents, I had to forgo my privacy in that aspect. My issue is with the repairman being in my desk when not related to fixing my phone, with the casings being confiscated, and with the BS "it's against the law" catch-phrase. Essentially, what I want the end-result to be is my casings being returned, and the ability to display them in my room, and possibly something relating to the repairman being in my desk, but I don't know what the policy is on that. I'll check.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yes it was. My issue is not with them searching my room, they have that right. When I signed the various documents, I had to forgo my privacy in that aspect. My issue is with the repairman being in my desk when not related to fixing my phone, with the casings being confiscated, and with the BS "it's against the law" catch-phrase. Essentially, what I want the end-result to be is my casings being returned, and the ability to display them in my room, and possibly something relating to the repairman being in my desk, but I don't know what the policy is on that. I'll check.

Like I said, have you checked to make sure that nothing else of value is MISSING from your desk? Like the $100 bill you had in there? I keep one in mine, don't you?

Or the 14" long silicone sex toy ;)

Were it me I'd be making a stink about ALL of my missing property, not just the casings...

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    I agree about the repairman being in your stuff .
    I would follow though with this as far as I could , he was lookin for your stash of weed (LOL) .
    As far as the rest of your case make sure you are up to date on your schools policy , No matter what the law says is legal for you to have , school rules will win out over the law in most cases like this .

Either way I hope you get your stuff back , even if you have to send it to your parents house , it is still your stuff .

Good luck :ingo:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Like I said, have you checked to make sure that nothing else of value is MISSING from your desk? Like the $100 bill you had in there? I keep one in mine, don't you?

Or the 14" long silicone sex toy
    wink.gif

Were it me I'd be making a stink about ALL of my missing property, not just the casings...

I appreciate the advice, but I have no desire to lie to get anyone in trouble. I prefer to let the truth speak for itself.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I appreciate the advice, but I have no desire to lie to get anyone in trouble. I prefer to let the truth speak for itself.

You are a better man than I am, sir. I have no moral issues with getting someone in trouble who was snooping through my stuff completely unrelated to the job he was doing. I've worked both EMS and as a networks technician repairing problems with a college computer network. Both jobs had me going into private residences and I made it a point to not be alone in them and when I was I sure didn't poke through people's stuff.

Top Bottom