Had my dorm room searched by school officials...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    As others have said, the college reserves the right to basically do whatever the hell they want when you are living in their housing. You probably signed something saying they can.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Just curious, what is your major/minor?

Anything even remotely related to guns, mechanical drawing, engineering?

If so they could be part of a project, but I am sure the school would say you have to have permission to have them.

Kinda like others have said it really is their way or the highway in a lot of ways.

I went to Eastern Ill Univ in the early 90's using my GI Bill and most (not all) of the instructors looked down on me as a Gulf War vet, a couple even openly tried to get me to react in class. As I was over 30 at that time and had many years in the military leading soldiers and experience having my patience tested by my kids, the instructors to me just showed their lack of maturity and inability to converse with someone with real world experience.

Haven't donated a penny to the alumni fund raisers.

Last edited:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Just curious, what is your major/minor?

Anything even remotely related to guns, mechanical drawing, engineering?

If so they could be part of a project, but I am sure the school would say you have to have permission to have them.

Kinda like others have said it really is their way or the highway in a lot of ways.

I went to Eastern Ill Univ in the early 90's using my GI Bill and most (not all) of the instructors looked down on me as a Gulf War vet, a couple even openly tried to get me to react in class. As I was over 30 at that time and had many years in the military leading soldiers and experience having my patience tested by my kids, the instructors to me just showed their lack of maturity and inability to converse with someone with real world experience.

Haven't donated a penny to the alumni fund raisers.

I'm a mental health major and a sociology minor, no dice in that area. Good idea though. Whether or not I do engineering-like stuff involving guns on my own time probably won't help any either...

Still no response after leaving a message with the head honcho, I will try again tomorrow morning.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Tell the college they were given to you by your minority gay lover while on a harrassment raid at a local gun range to protest the use of weapons, on the way back from protesting a Tea Party rally while driving your new Govt Motors Volt and singing give peace a chance, and that you see them a trophy and a statement against firearms and educational material to inform your fellow students as to how many evil types of guns there are in the hands of those people known as Tea Partiers that are clinging to their guns and religion.

Also inform them if they search your room again you will stage a sit in protest in front of the student union about the harassment from the establishment and "The Man", while wearing your tie-dye, beads, Ho Chi Minh sandals, and all the while unbathed for about 2 weeks.

You made me spray Utz cheese ball dust all over my computer screen. +1 to you!

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I'm a mental health major and a sociology minor, no dice in that area. Good idea though. Whether or not I do engineering-like stuff involving guns on my own time probably won't help any either...

Still no response after leaving a message with the head honcho, I will try again tomorrow morning.

Sociology, that works, Sociology is the thinking mans degree for Law Enforcement, gets you in the door, but you can use it to go for a masters or work for social services, teach etc.

Tell them you are thinking of becoming an LEO and its just part of studying up on the kinds of fire power out there in the hands of the public. That'll confuse them.

(Make sure you wear your "Toghether We Thrive" shirt and watch as their eyes roll back in their head and convulsions erupt, be ready to sing the first verse of kumm-by-ya together after the convulsions stop)

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Wow, thank goodness I live off of Purdue's campus in cooperative housing. Yea you may have signed away any privacy you had in the dorm, but I'm pretty sure that a "repairman" has no rights to search you're room, that should only be your RA or campus police, and you should have to be present for any such searches to occur in case any personal belongings are stolen or damaged. I would try to contact a local congressman who is pro-second amendment and see what they have to say on this whole ordeal. They would possibly even do more extensive research in this particular area and let you know what you're actual rights are. All I say is that it is total crap for the whole ordeal. Good luck fighting the man!!!!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

With your dorm phone: Do you/did you have any of the cables routed through your desk in order to hide and/or organize them?

Follow up with this: Was repairman a contractor or a school employee? BIG difference on being an agent of the school and just a guy doing a job.

When I was an RA, "if I could see it, hear it, or smell it", there was a good chance I was going to act upon it. Room searches, of which I participated in several, had to go through more than 1 layer of administration in order to get approval and were specific in nature and usually only limited to 1 party's possessions.

-J-

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My friend wants to me ask if the maintenance guy took the $2,000 you had in your drawer.

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    Without starting the whole drug conversation.

IF the repairman had found a bag of dope, I am sure there are some faculty members that would come to his defense and argue rights violations, HOWEVER, on most campus' I doubt any faculty would care about a "Pro-gun" person's rights.

Bottom line is "We scare them" just by our existence on the planet with no threats made or inferred. We are different and our minds won't be changed therefore we must be bad.

Not true, one of my classmates last semester was expelled for possession of less than one ounce of Cannabis when an RA made an unannounced visit and smelled the aroma and called Campus PD for a search. But her money for the rest of the semester was not refunded, so I don't think it matters, if you do something that they can get rid of you and keep your money, they will

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not true, one of my classmates last semester was expelled for possession of less than one ounce of Cannabis when an RA made an unannounced visit and smelled the aroma and called Campus PD for a search. But her money for the rest of the semester was not refunded, so I don't think it matters, if you do something that they can get rid of you and keep your money, they will

Think of that as "that's the price paid for breaking the rules that were agreed to when signing all these documents".

-J-

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Without starting the whole drug conversation.

IF the repairman had found a bag of dope, I am sure there are some faculty members that would come to his defense and argue rights violations, HOWEVER, on most campus' I doubt any faculty would care about a "Pro-gun" person's rights.

Bottom line is "We scare them" just by our existence on the planet with no threats made or inferred. We are different and our minds won't be changed therefore we must be bad.

I doubt it. While many schools turn a blind eye to petty possession/consumption, the fact that someone's attention was drawn to it, and it was put in front of school officials would cause them to act. Because of that, they would not simply blow it off, in fact, they would probably seek to make an example out of that individual.

Sociology, that works, Sociology is the thinking mans degree for Law Enforcement, gets you in the door, but you can use it to go for a masters or work for social services, teach etc.

Tell them you are thinking of becoming an LEO and its just part of studying up on the kinds of fire power out there in the hands of the public. That'll confuse them.

(Make sure you wear your "Toghether We Thrive" shirt and watch as their eyes roll back in their head and convulsions erupt, be ready to sing the first verse of kumm-by-ya together after the convulsions stop)

Do nothing of the sort. Dont lie, and certainly dont draw attention to yourself by suggesting you are thinking about doing this or that, then trying to use that as a justification.

Here is how I would approach it: File a complaint against the repair person. Be sure to stress that he was poking around. If you can not find anything, even if you dont think it was stolen, you might want to make mention of it. Ask the person taking the complaint if it is better to file a report for an item that you think might have been stolen, or if you should wait 24 hours to make sure it doesnt turn up elsewhere (be very honest, you dont know where X item is, and since you had someone suspiciously rifling (no pun intended) through your stuff, it is entirely possible it was stolen. If you have a roommate, be sure to have them check their stuff.

Next, file a complaint with every department applicable. Whoever that repair person was supposed to be with, file a complaint with their department for going through your room with no one around. File a complaint with security for the confiscation of your property, be sure to show that it was not contraband. Request it back. File a complaint with housing for the furtherance of the above complaints, again showing you broke no rules. Also be sure to complain about the lack of clarification in the rules. Based upon what you provided, you broke no rule. Go with that.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Had the meeting today. Definitely did not go as I hoped. Started off by explaining the whole situation to her, then asked her what the maintenance guy was doing in my desk drawers.
    Her: Oh, I'm sure he wasn't going through your desk.
    Me: Well, the casings were in the middle drawer of my desk. Obviously, since he found them, he was in the middle drawer of my desk.
    Her: Well, there wasn't any mention of that in the report. He just said that he saw the casings in your room.
    Me: That's right, in my desk. The casings were in my desk. I remember putting them there before I went on break. Clearly he was in my desk. They were in my desk, he saw them, therefore he was in my desk.
    Her: Oh, I'm sure that isn't how it happened.

She then proceeded to ignore any attempt by me to get her to actually answer the dang question. Then I asked her why empty casings aren't allowed, seeing as there is no school policy or law against having them. She had nothing to say, other than "Because of recent events, you know, like the school shootings, we just don't want any guns or stuff around campus." Despite the fact that they are not able to be used in any way for nefarious purposes, she simply has decided that casings are a no go. So then I get irritated, and she decides that "Well, one or two might be ok, just pick ones that remind you of fond memories with your dad. We just don't want drawers full of empty casings around campus..."

I am irritated. I can get my casings returned, but I can't display empty casings on campus. This is ridiculous, she has no legitimate reason, no backing, yet because this is private property and she is in a position of 'power', there isn't anything I can do.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    You know what works for me to get things done on campus? Start CC emails you send about this to the President of your university. I had some maintenance issues which weren't being addressed, so I CC'ed a few emails I sent to the President and viola issues fixed. Take it right to the top, obviously the lady you met with wasn't in much of a position to give you any answers, etc. on this matter.

Top Bottom