Had my dorm room searched by school officials...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Now complain to the maintenance guy's boss directly. And his boss.

I would do this, except I work for the same boss...just in a different department.

You know what works for me to get things done on campus? Start CC emails you send about this to the President of your university. I had some maintenance issues which weren't being addressed, so I CC'ed a few emails I sent to the President and viola issues fixed. Take it right to the top, obviously the lady you met with wasn't in much of a position to give you any answers, etc. on this matter.

This actually is a good idea, methinks I will do that.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I doubt it. While many schools turn a blind eye to petty possession/consumption, the fact that someone's attention was drawn to it, and it was put in front of school officials would cause them to act. Because of that, they would not simply blow it off, in fact, they would probably seek to make an example out of that individual.

Do nothing of the sort. Dont lie, and certainly dont draw attention to yourself by suggesting you are thinking about doing this or that, then trying to use that as a justification.

Here is how I would approach it: File a complaint against the repair person. Be sure to stress that he was poking around. If you can not find anything, even if you dont think it was stolen, you might want to make mention of it. Ask the person taking the complaint if it is better to file a report for an item that you think might have been stolen, or if you should wait 24 hours to make sure it doesnt turn up elsewhere (be very honest, you dont know where X item is, and since you had someone suspiciously rifling (no pun intended) through your stuff, it is entirely possible it was stolen. If you have a roommate, be sure to have them check their stuff.

Next, file a complaint with every department applicable. Whoever that repair person was supposed to be with, file a complaint with their department for going through your room with no one around. File a complaint with security for the confiscation of your property, be sure to show that it was not contraband. Request it back. File a complaint with housing for the furtherance of the above complaints, again showing you broke no rules. Also be sure to complain about the lack of clarification in the rules. Based upon what you provided, you broke no rule. Go with that.

Guess I should have typed some of that in purple HUH?

I would hope the everybody wouldn't do exactly as any crackpot like me types on the internet. :ugh:

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am irritated. I can get my casings returned, but I can't display empty casings on campus. This is ridiculous, she has no legitimate reason, no backing, yet because this is private property and she is in a position of 'power', there isn't anything I can do.

Its ok, just take it. She obviously knows better than you what best for you...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    This is why I moved off campus, the RAs already had it out for me because when me and some freinds drink, we drink. And she was an alcohol nazi.

At least you're not getting thrown under the bus just for casings, after that dumb a$$ in Arizona, colleges could really freak out and do something drastic.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    You really have no recourse. Colleges set their own policies on an as needed basis. Your opinion doesn't count. They have thousands of reckless youth testing one boundary or another, and as a result, they are much more reactionary than they would ever admit. Pacification of the masses supersedes individuality. I'm not casting stones, campuses are powder kegs, and as such, the establishment will err on the side of caution. Handbooks are guides to the general behavior desired, but they do nothing to limit the powers of the university staff. Yes, it's unfortunate and shiesty, but them's the breaks. I would pursue the maintenance worker being in your desk, but as it's your word against his, there's really nothing you can do. Tough luck, welcome to the rest of your life.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Get you campus activists involved. "invasion of privacy" and "freedom of expression" always get them worked up. Stress those angles, downplay the casings and, like previously noted, cc the university president every email about the situation.
    Send an email to whoever it was that you had the meeting with; "Ms. x, just to confirm that this is what we talked about...." and detail the conversation with the aforementioned cc.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Had the meeting today. Definitely did not go as I hoped. Started off by explaining the whole situation to her, then asked her what the maintenance guy was doing in my desk drawers.
    Her: Oh, I'm sure he wasn't going through your desk.
    Me: Well, the casings were in the middle drawer of my desk. Obviously, since he found them, he was in the middle drawer of my desk.
    Her: Well, there wasn't any mention of that in the report. He just said that he saw the casings in your room.
    Me: That's right, in my desk. The casings were in my desk. I remember putting them there before I went on break. Clearly he was in my desk. They were in my desk, he saw them, therefore he was in my desk.
    Her: Oh, I'm sure that isn't how it happened.

She then proceeded to ignore any attempt by me to get her to actually answer the dang question. Then I asked her why empty casings aren't allowed, seeing as there is no school policy or law against having them. She had nothing to say, other than "Because of recent events, you know, like the school shootings, we just don't want any guns or stuff around campus." Despite the fact that they are not able to be used in any way for nefarious purposes, she simply has decided that casings are a no go. So then I get irritated, and she decides that "Well, one or two might be ok, just pick ones that remind you of fond memories with your dad. We just don't want drawers full of empty casings around campus..."

I am irritated. I can get my casings returned, but I can't display empty casings on campus. This is ridiculous, she has no legitimate reason, no backing, yet because this is private property and she is in a position of 'power', there isn't anything I can do.

You should have filed a police report of the theft from your desk .
    Recorded all interactions on the matter.
    You went into the meeting with no "ammo".
    Should have also recorded the meeting.
    Future youtube releases would have been good leverage.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I would do this, except I work for the same boss...just in a different department.

This actually is a good idea, methinks I will do that.

My wife had a class at Ivy Tech. The "professor" always intejected sex talk into the class. He gave long winded speechs devoted to sexual topics.
    Needless to say the sex topic had nothing do to with the class.
    She wanted to file a complaint with administration. I said "your word against his".
    Got her a small reocder and had her record the next 2 classes.
    She then had a meeting with admi. and played the tape. Needless to say the "professor" never spoke of any sex related topic the rest of the semester.

Recorded "ammo" is hard to beat!

Last edited:

bighop1

Plinker
    Rating - 98.8%
    79   1   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    maybe those people are just investing in your future by taking your possessions after all they are only spreading the wealth around

Top Bottom