• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I needed (yes, needed) to go to one of my favorite local gunshops today. When I pull into the drive, another gent pulls in and we both hit the door at the same time. He asks me "you're not looking for a 380, are you?" Being mildly offended at the thought that I looked like a 380 guy, I answered "nope, sure not," thinking he was asking to see if I was a competitor to a gun he wanted. Once in the shop, he takes a 380 out and asks the lady at the counter if she would trade for some such 9mm. That's when it dawned on me- he was asking if I wanted a 380 to try and sell me his.

I found this to be completely uncouth (there, been trying to use that word all day). The guy who owns the shop pays to have it there; pays to make a living by selling guns there. It's not a gunshow where I pay to be there- in that arena, freelance offers are cool, in my opinion. But right at the doors of a guy's shop? No. I guess I would feel OK to ask the shop's permission to deal with guy personally in the parking lot if they turned down a trade.

So, what think ye INGO- is this bad etiquette or do I just need to loosen up?

Last edited:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I needed (yes, needed) to go to one of my favorite local gunshops today. When I pull into the drive, another gent pulls in and we both hit the door at the same time. He asks me "you're not looking for a 380, are you?" Being mildly offended at the thought that I looked like a 380 guy, I answered "nope, sure not," thinking he was asking to see if I was a competitor to a gun he wanted. Once in the shop, he takes a 380 out and asks the lady at the counter if she would trade for some such 9mm. That's when it dawned on me- he was asking if I wanted a 380 to try and sell me his.

I found this to be completely uncooth (there, been trying to use that word all day). The guy who owns the shop pays to have it there; pays to make a living buy selling guns there. It's not a gunshow where I pay to be there- in that arena, freelance offers are cool, in my opinion. But right at the doors of a guy's shop? No. I guess I would feel OK to ask the shop's permission to deal with guy personally in the parking lot if they turned down a trade.

Depends on the shop owner. I've had gun shop owners TELL me to go sell the gun elsewhere and bring in cash, because they can't give me what the gun will sell for on the open market, even at a bargain price. I appreciate that kind of honesty, but like I said, depends on the gun shop owner. I imagine that if the guy would have sold you the .380, he would have taken the cash from the sale inside to purchase a 9mm, so either way the gun shop would have made a sale.

BTW....it's uncouth. :)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Depends on the shop owner. I've had gun shop owners TELL me to go sell the gun elsewhere and bring in cash, because they can't give me what the gun will sell for on the open market, even at a bargain price. I appreciate that kind of honesty, but like I said, depends on the gun shop owner. I imagine that if the guy would have sold you the .380, he would have taken the cash from the sale inside to purchase a 9mm, so either way the gun shop would have made a sale.

BTW....it's uncouth. :)

True- I figured he would have bought the gun he wanted, but who knows. Still seems uncouth (thanks) to me.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN

I found this to be completely uncouth (there, been trying to use that word all day). The guy who owns the shop pays to have it there; pays to make a living by selling guns there. It's not a gunshow where I pay to be there- in that arena, freelance offers are cool, in my opinion. But right at the doors of a guy's shop? No. I guess I would feel OK to ask the shop's permission to deal with guy personally in the parking lot if they turned down a trade.

I always feel the same way in gun shops that is why i tend to only buy guns used or at shows

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I wouldnt be soliciting sales in the doorway of a gun store. I cant see that as being a good way to build a good relationship with the local gun store either. But, it seems that there are many people out there that own guns, and go to gun stores, that aren't really a part of a gun culture. I know a few people that own guns, yet their familiarity with the subtle nuances that we take for granted is non-existent.

By the way, what exactly does a .380 guy look like? I wouldnt want to show up at the LGS looking like that! LOL!!:pimp:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I wouldnt be soliciting sales in the doorway of a gun store. I cant see that as being a good way to build a good relationship with the local gun store either. But, it seems that there are many people out there that own guns, and go to gun stores, that aren't really a part of a gun culture. I know a few people that own guns, yet their familiarity with the subtle nuances that we take for granted is non-existent.

By the way, what exactly does a .380 guy look like? I wouldnt want to show up at the LGS looking like that! LOL!!:pimp:

I don't know exactly what one looks like, but if a 380 looks something like this in your palm, you definitely NOT a 380 looking guy:laugh:
    images

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I agree with the OP. I don't think that is appropriate.. If you had bought it I wouldn't be surprised if the guy took the cash and left without making a purchase.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    He did nothing wrong by asking. I would have probably stepped off the GS property to buy the gun if I wanted it, though. :cool:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Playing the devil's advocate here, how many feet from the door makes the difference? If you were 1' in stead of 11 inches? Just being a smart ass on that one and I personally feel it is a tad unethical to do business on another business's lot but that is my own personal code. I guess it's no different than making a deal at a gun show before either of you make it in the door...probably more of a person's ethics deal than anything; it's good that you respect another person's business enough to try and not take a sale away from them...

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Personally I don't think its that big of a deal. Its no different than buying sporting even tickets outside the venue.

Now if that guy had been standing outside the gun shop asking every customer who entered if they wanted a .380, then fine you have an issue. But all he was trying to do was get more for his gun. Most shops I have been to have even said to sell it FTF since you get more $$ than what they will give.

Chances are since he wanted a 9mm, he would have bought one with the cash he got.

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    Maybe it's just me, but who the hell cares? If a guy asks me if I want to buy his gun I don't care if I'm at Wal-mart, the post office, church, or a gun store. If the price is right than it's all good to me. Even my favorite local gun stores are over priced. I understand that they need to make a living, but I don't want to spend $600 on a Glock or 500 on a Taurus or 250 on a POS jennings arms. So KMHWA.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Playing the devil's advocate here, how many feet from the door makes the difference? If you were 1' in stead of 11 inches? Just being a smart ass on that one and I personally feel it is a tad unethical to do business on another business's lot but that is my own personal code. I guess it's no different than making a deal at a gun show before either of you make it in the door...probably more of a person's ethics deal than anything; it's good that you respect another person's business enough to try and not take a sale away from them...

That's just it. If the guy would have made the offer 16 inches from the door, I would have had no problem. He crossed the line.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I don't see this being a big deal, but did the shop buy the .380?

No. Evidently the shop made an offer that was so insulting to the guy that he immediately left the store saying "I can't take a beating like that!" I don't know what the offer was or the particular 380 the man had. I do know that he told the clerk that the 9mm he sought from them was worth much less than the 380 he had, so he didn't know how trades like that worked.

This may have been one of the situations mentioned earlier where the shop would have been glad to have him sell it and put the money towards the gun he wanted from them.

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    A bit uncouth, perhaps, but definitely a matter of etiquette. It is up to each individual to uphold etiquette by definition and there is no point being offended by a violation.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You definitely need to loosen up! He did nothing wrong in asking if you were interested before you went inside.
    Once you were in the store, maybe a different story ,but I'm not even sure about that. Everyone knows you can get more from an individual than a gun store, and there is no difference if he asked you at the door or in the parking lot or out on the sidewalk!
    Like others have said, he probably would have gone in and bought the 9mm that he wanted and the shop would have made a sale,and everyone would be happy!

How about you gun shop owners.... What do YOU think? My mind can be changed if shop owners say differently, but I would assume any shop owner would be happy to make a sale and have a happy customer, rather than have one unhappy, and not wanting to " take a beating"! Just my two cents.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You definitely need to loosen up! He did nothing wrong in asking if you were interested before you went inside.
    Once you were in the store, maybe a different story ,but I'm not even sure about that. Everyone knows you can get more from an individual than a gun store, and there is no difference if he asked you at the door or in the parking lot or out on the sidewalk!
    Like others have said, he probably would have gone in and bought the 9mm that he wanted and the shop would have made a sale,and everyone would be happy!

How about you gun shop owners.... What do YOU think? My mind can be changed if shop owners say differently, but I would assume any shop owner would be happy to make a sale and have a happy customer, rather than have one unhappy, and not wanting to " take a beating"! Just my two cents.

You might be right- maybe I need to take a :chillpill:. I've thought about this after starting this thread and I think some of it stems from the loyalty I have to that shop. In fact, most of my friends around here count it as their favorite shop and so do I. The folks in the shop go way beyond the common standards of customer care, so maybe I felt a sense of "shop protection." So I might have taken things more personal than needs be.

Still though, when I'm on somone else' property I like to have their permission to transact business. Just seems like the right thing to do.

I, too, would like to hear from other shop owners. I also might just ask the folks at that shop what they think about stuff like that happening.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Doesn't sound like he was "selling outside the door". It sounds like you both got there at the same time and he asked you, in passing, if you had an interest. To me, that's a LOT different than someone who's hanging out in the parking lot waiting to snipe the store's customers.

Top Bottom