• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think it would depend on your relationship with the gun shop. If they have always dealt fairly with you, then dealing for a used gun on their front doorstep is definitely showing a lack of respect for their business. It you were going to the gun shop to laugh at their prices (Don's Guns maybe?) and the folks inside have always been a prick to you and other customers, then I would not have a problem making the deal within an inch of the door.

I rarely frequent gun shops that are staffed by morons and try to be loyal to those that have treated me right.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Question for those that think its "uncouth" to offer an individual sale at a gun shop.... Is it also poor ettiquette to take firearms to the Indy 1500 and try and sell to an individual that has not paid for a table?

Im not advocating lingering around outside the gun shop all day trying to sell a firearm(like happens inside the 1500) Just curious if there is a double standard out there.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I wondered if I could find what dealers though about this stuff and found this thread from a while back on another forum I frequent. The dealers that spoke in this one were not at all cool with private party transactions on their property.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/191172-i-out-line.html

@mrmonte- I've never been to the 1500, but I feel alright making and offering ftfs at gunshows if I pay to enter to do business. If the dealers would pay my way, then no, I wouldn't feel ok doing private transactions at them.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    Interesting that you brought the question up. I wouldn't have even thought of it that way. Probably would have just blown it off as a guy making an attempt at conversation to feel less 'threatened' at a gun shop.

Having said that, I've seen guys hang out at the counter for hours trying to snipe a deal on a piece someone is looking to trade. Usually they make a quick offer to the GS owner AFTER the deal is made (sure sure). But I've also seen goons make an offer before a trade is talked out. THAT is uncouth.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You might be right- maybe I need to take a :chillpill:. I've thought about this after starting this thread and I think some of it stems from the loyalty I have to that shop. In fact, most of my friends around here count it as their favorite shop and so do I. The folks in the shop go way beyond the common standards of customer care, so maybe I felt a sense of "shop protection." So I might have taken things more personal than needs be.

Still though, when I'm on somone else' property I like to have their permission to transact business. Just seems like the right thing to do.

I, too, would like to hear from other shop owners. I also might just ask the folks at that shop what they think about stuff like that happening.

I see your point completely, by the way which shop are you talking about? I also appreciate good customer service, and the " beyond common standards" !

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Doesn't sound like he was "selling outside the door". It sounds like you both got there at the same time and he asked you, in passing, if you had an interest. To me, that's a LOT different than someone who's hanging out in the parking lot waiting to snipe the store's customers.

That's the way I see it! Now if he was standing there and asking every customer on their way in... Totally different situation!!!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Interesting that you brought the question up. I wouldn't have even thought of it that way. Probably would have just blown it off as a guy making an attempt at conversation to feel less 'threatened' at a gun shop.

Having said that, I've seen guys hang out at the counter for hours trying to snipe a deal on a piece someone is looking to trade. Usually they make a quick offer to the GS owner AFTER the deal is made (sure sure). But I've also seen goons make an offer before a trade is talked out. THAT is uncouth.

In a perfect world I could see this happening: A guy walks in the store with a .380 to sell trade, trying to get a 9mm. The shop offers him lower than bottom dollar; however, instead of sending the guy on his way, the owner/manager asks those in the shop if anyone is interested in purchasing the gun. Some guy who is not really looking, but offers a good price for it. The seller then turns around and purchases the 9mm from he store. But, this is in a perfect world.

However, I can see the store owner/manager's point of view, as to why they wouldn't want to make this a practice. The guy with the .380 can sell it in the store and take the money and leave. The owner would lose the potential customer who bought the .380 and then lose the sale he thought he would get from helping the guy out with the .380 for sale. It's likely he would take the money and go buy online. Unfortunately, this scenario is more like the world we live in.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Your second paragraph- sheesh- you're right, that is downright uncouth (which is worse that competely uncouth:D). I think its stuff like this that we who frequent this gunshop want to avoid. It's a great shop and we want to keep it that way.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    The only gun shop etiquette I can't stomach are the people who complain about prices, and then bring up an online shop's prices. I was out gun shop hopping just a couple weeks ago (Beach Grove I think?) where a guy asked about a price on a Beretta, the worker told him how much the gun was, and he got all huffy and said, "Man that's bull, I can get it on BudsGunShop.com for 50 bucks cheaper."

How do people like this think businesses are run? I can't believe the store worker even kept his cool, I just started shaking my head at the guy. Though I'm sure gun shop owners put up with a lot worse crap than that on a daily basis.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The only gun shop etiquette I can't stomach are the people who complain about prices, and then bring up an online shop's prices. I was out gun shop hopping just a couple weeks ago (Beach Grove I think?) where a guy asked about a price on a Beretta, the worker told him how much the gun was, and he got all huffy and said, "Man that's bull, I can get it on BudsGunShop.com for 50 bucks cheaper."

How do people like this think businesses are run? I can't believe the store worker even kept his cool, I just started shaking my head at the guy. Though I'm sure gun shop owners put up with a lot worse crap than that on a daily basis.

Thats the society we live in, that being said I have taken a printout from online and asked whats as close as they can get. Ive never bought online before but it gives a good negotiating start. I understand they cant get that low most ofv the time, but close enough.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

it's all about tone. for example, PA and AIM will ship magpul stuff for free. Bradis had higher prices and i of course had to pay tax. So i asked Mark if he could match it or give me a discount because i was buying a TON of stuff for my two ARs. He knocked about 5% off the total.

as someone who works in retail myself, i know that attitude makes all the difference.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I needed (yes, needed) to go to one of my favorite local gunshops today. When I pull into the drive, another gent pulls in and we both hit the door at the same time. He asks me "you're not looking for a 380, are you?" Being mildly offended at the thought that I looked like a 380 guy, I answered "nope, sure not," thinking he was asking to see if I was a competitor to a gun he wanted. Once in the shop, he takes a 380 out and asks the lady at the counter if she would trade for some such 9mm. That's when it dawned on me- he was asking if I wanted a 380 to try and sell me his.

I found this to be completely uncouth (there, been trying to use that word all day). The guy who owns the shop pays to have it there; pays to make a living by selling guns there. It's not a gunshow where I pay to be there- in that arena, freelance offers are cool, in my opinion. But right at the doors of a guy's shop? No. I guess I would feel OK to ask the shop's permission to deal with guy personally in the parking lot if they turned down a trade.

So, what think ye INGO- is this bad etiquette or do I just need to loosen up?

it is a little odd, but i've done t many times with guitar gear. When i list something on CL, i will only meet at Guitar Center or Sam Ash. One it's a public place (and not my home) and two they can try the gear out there.

maybe the guy would have wanted the shop to do an FFL transfer if you were interested? maybe it was a last ditch effort to sell it before he got bent over on a trade?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have never encountered this, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy. Not having record of the sale though, I would ask the shop to transfer it. Everyone is happy then.

I have met for preplanned sales in shop parking lots. I try to spend some money at the shop after the deal is done. Then again, I always try to spend money when I go into a shop.

Superj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Florida
    I would not have been offended by being approached outside a gunshop by a zealous seller. Same thing happens when you are heading in to a pawnshop...someone checking to see if a connection can be made to do business.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    This was at Dave's gunshop in Holland, IN.

Wish I could have been there to see this fellow"s reaction to the offered trade by the shop. Dave's is usually fairly reasonable on trade allowances, not generous but not financial sodomy either.
    As far as parking lot trading.... why not? I understand your point but this also generates business for the shop sometimes. I say ok as long as the shop gains business from what happens outside. Otherwise take it elsewhere.

Last edited:

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I don't see a problem with it. The guy kind of asked in passing. It's not like he was poaching the doorstep of the shop asking every Tom, Dick and Harry that was entering. I don't have a problem with him asking someone on his way in the door. But, that's my :twocents:.

Top Bottom