• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    I just spoke with the G.M. of Point Blank in Cincy and passed to her the do's and don't of dealing with Carmel politicians. They have done their due diligence ( homework). She said they visited all the local range, Dons, Pops, and Beech Grove. They spoke VERY highly about B.G. as we all do, and are not trying to compete with them, 40-50 minute drive, just offer Hamilton County shooters a state of the art gun shop, without the 'issues' the Don's has, or the arrogant know it all attitude that Pops employees have.

Overall it looks good. I wish them well and told her I would be glad to help with the 'Carmel crap.'

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've spoken to Tom W., the head of Point Blank. He's got a solid team lined up to get this through, and I think we can help play a role in making it happen.

It isn't a done-deal either way, at this point.

One interesting thing - in the last couple hours, the signatures on the petition jumped from ~150 to ~170. Not sure what publicity hit, but it looks to be generating some interest. :)

The main thing will be the meeting on August 20. We'll keep people here informed.

Also, at some point, we may need help with information. Depending on how things go, we may need to "crowdsource" data to support having a gun range here. Hard to tell right now, though.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    A group of well-behaved, presentable supporters could help at the meeting. Camo fatigues, however, might have the wrong effect in Carmel.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A group of well-behaved, presentable supporters could help at the meeting. Camo fatigues, however, might have the wrong effect in Carmel.

I tend to agree, but support is support. There is diversity in Carmel (although perhaps a narrower range of it). ;)

The politeness will be more persuasive than the pants. ;)

Chrisw0118

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    In talking to Point Blank has anyone asked them if Carmel rejects their plan and location that they will consider any other property in Hamilton County, i.e. Fishers or Noblesville? There is plenty of commercial property along SR37 from 116th Street all the way up to SR32.

I am not sure why the media is making such a big deal of how close their proposed Gun Store and Range is to the Monon Trail or the High School. Well I do, but it is not like the walls are made of paper and we will be shooting everyone who jogs by. Or selling the High School kids walking in after school.

But you are dealing with the High Priest the Mayor Jim himself. What he wants or don't wants he usually gets.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    w00t!

Over 200. :) Not sure what tripped people off tonight, but it really shot up. Interestingly - and gratifyingly - many of the new names appear to be women. At the risk of being too cynical, women speaking at the Plan Commission meeting will probably be more persuasive. Just sayin' :)

Also, if people are interested in seeing what we are up against, check out the tweets I got involved in with a guy with the twitter @carmelbruce. I am @tperkinsesq. It looks like the mayor has picked up on our support and is starting to rally his own people to The Cause.

The Rise of The Machine. :)

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    w00t!

Over 200. :) Not sure what tripped people off tonight, but it really shot up. Interestingly - and gratifyingly - many of the new names appear to be women. At the risk of being too cynical, women speaking at the Plan Commission meeting will probably be more persuasive. Just sayin' :)

Also, if people are interested in seeing what we are up against, check out the tweets I got involved in with a guy with the twitter @carmelbruce. I am @tperkinsesq. It looks like the mayor has picked up on our support and is starting to rally his own people to The Cause.

The Rise of The Machine. :)

The WishTV link above has a link to the petition. Could be the source of the traffic:rockwoot:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    I just signed the petition and another signed as I was reading some of the comments making 222. Coverage that I have seen appears to be neutral or positive too. Was also just on the website and like what I saw so far. Getting stoked. Just hope that things keep progressing. Having a nice shooting range and full service operation would be sooooo nice. :thumbsup:

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    I just signed the petition and another signed as I was reading some of the comments making 222. Coverage that I have seen appears to be neutral or positive too. Was also just on the website and like what I saw so far. Getting stoked. Just hope that things keep progressing. Having a nice shooting range and full service operation would be sooooo nice. :thumbsup:

As long as we don't end up with Don's prices, or Pop's attitude.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. Game plan developing.

First, thanks to all those who have signed the petition and encouraged others to sign. Keep that momentum going! We're just shy of 250 signatures and I'm almost positive we haven't reached everyone who would be interested.

Second, I'm trying to get a handle on how many people are planning on being at the Aug. 20 meeting and how many of those would be interested in speaking. Don't worry, this isn't a commitment that I'll be holding people to (yet). But, if there's a bunch, we may need to ask them to switch rooms. If you could just +1 (my pm box is almost full as it is) if you are planning to attend and/or speak, that would be great.

For those that want to speak, I'm going to work up some talking points to help stay organized. I'm not trying to tell people what to say or what not to say, but more to try to keep people focused. There is an undeniable 2d Am. aspect to this, but the PC process is really focused on the design standards for the building itself - not the use. The PC is supposed to treat this the same as a CVS or other legitimate store.

Above all, politeness will be key. :)

Thanks all!

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    In this thread I mentioned 'Carmel Politics' and how they are not even in the same zip code with reality, I have first hand experience for 20+ years. Anyone see Fox news this morning, Wed.? The very big outfit Rickers wants to put a gas station in Carmel. State, and Fed laws, require double walled tanks be used. For Carmel Rickers said they will use TRIPLE walled tanks PLUS underground monitors. Sounds more than good doesn't it? Not so. Carmel Zoning postponed a vote for further advisement.

I relayed this info to Point Blank G.M. and gave her some tips on dealing with these prima donnas. Anyone familiar with Chicago politics will understand how Carmel politics works. Though I am within spitting distance they would be better off in Westfield where getting property taxes, and hiring local people, DOES matter.

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    Ok. Game plan developing.

First, thanks to all those who have signed the petition and encouraged others to sign. Keep that momentum going! We're just shy of 250 signatures and I'm almost positive we haven't reached everyone who would be interested.

Second, I'm trying to get a handle on how many people are planning on being at the Aug. 20 meeting and how many of those would be interested in speaking. Don't worry, this isn't a commitment that I'll be holding people to (yet). But, if there's a bunch, we may need to ask them to switch rooms. If you could just +1 (my pm box is almost full as it is) if you are planning to attend and/or speak, that would be great.

For those that want to speak, I'm going to work up some talking points to help stay organized. I'm not trying to tell people what to say or what not to say, but more to try to keep people focused. There is an undeniable 2d Am. aspect to this, but the PC process is really focused on the design standards for the building itself - not the use. The PC is supposed to treat this the same as a CVS or other legitimate store.

Above all, politeness will be key. :)

Thanks all!

Nothing personal but NOT a good idea. Leave it to a petition and the attorneys. They will start by asking if you live in Carmel, work in Carmel, and pay property taxes in Carmel. No? Why would your opinion matter to them? I was at a zoning meeting once and saw them cut a very elderly lady off in mid sentence and tell her to sit down.

The decision will be made on FACTS, TAX BASE, number of NEW EMPLOYES, and most important WHO the attorney is. Not how many guys show up in camo with carrying their Desert Eagle outside carry. I gave Point Blank the info on this site. They are going to invest $1,000,000+ in this. If they need help I am sure they will ask, till then just get petition signers.

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    I'll try my best to attend, but won't speak. I'm not a Carmel resident, and as 1 old 0311 stated, my voice won't matter... plus I'm not the greatest public speaker.

I don't mean to insult, or demean, anyone but these 'public servants' think of themselves as 'GODS' and the rest of the world as what they scrape off their shoes. You got to remember that 3-4 of these guys try to run for Mayor every election and a few speak out against ANYTHING Brainard, Mayor, does whenever they get a microphone in front of them. I don't remember if it was a City Council, or Zoning Board, meeting I was involved with one time. One of the 'GODS,' yes they do sit on a raised platform so they can look DOWN at you not AT you, you go to the front of the room and speak in the microphone as most of them will be on their cell phone or talking to the one next to them, asked the other attorney if he was the one involved in the Lowes building. Attorney said he was. 'GOD' said to the attorney that they were getting complaints every week about that decision. They voted AGAINST the other attorney, not for the issue. We surpassingly won 6-3.

This is one of the things I discussed with Boint Blabk's G.M. Carmel doesn't operate like other cities do. Everyone in local politics wants to go to bigger and better things. In this little kingdom it isn't so much as the issue it's who the attorney is. They MUST get one who has a good/great won loss record here.

Maybe call Point Blank, do a Google on Point Blank gun range in Cincy, and ask the G.M., it was Jeanine, or maybe Jeanette, if they want us to show or just help with the petition. We all want to help but lets make sure we are helping in the right way.

Top Bottom