• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    2 things about this:

1) The owner of the DQ is worried. He is quoted today in the Carmel Current saying he is "stunned by the news." Also he said, "I can't believe the Mayor would want a business like this and the type of crowd it would attract." "We are a family business and I am concerned about people so close by carrying guns."

2) It is NOT to be located in Downtown Carmel. It will be north of the Dairy Queen.

If it's where the old Park Place Motors was, then it's south and possibly considered downtown.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The Carmel government is dominated by Republicans - you know, the folks who stand for freedom and small government. So what's to worry about?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Maybe the owner of the DQ is worried that honest, law abiding people will leave the gun range/store and spend money in his establishment? I guess he would have died if he knew that I never went into his DQ when I wasn't without by personal defense department.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The Carmel government is dominated by Republicans - you know, the folks who stand for freedom and small government. So what's to worry about?

Actually, after hearing some buzz, this ACTUALLY may happen. :rockwoot:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Tagged for interest. Grew up in Carmel and still live on the northside. I will support this cause with actions as needed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. There are public documents available at the Carmel Laserfiche site.

Go here: http://cocdocs.ci.carmel.in.us/weblink/Browse.aspx?dbid=0

Then navigate to: Department - Community Services‎ > Div. of Planning and Zoning‎ > 2013‎ > 2013 Dockets‎ > 13060016 DP/ADLS: Point Blank Range & Gun Shop

Bunch of documents like the site map are there in pdf.

The site indicates that it is NORTH of the DQ.

Now, about supporting this. There will be a learning curve to get people to understand that the gun range is not inherently dangerous. That's what the DQ owner is expressing. (Keep in mind, his DQ burned down just a couple years ago. The guy is probably nervous 6 ways to Sunday.)

So, when discussing this publicly, we need to try our level best to be reasonable and polite. It will probably be worthwhile to point out that the DQ business could easily double or triple with that gun range there.

For me, it will be perfectly natural to take my son shooting there and then stop for an ice cream (he can have something, too, if he wants). ;) Dozens of people will come to that area specifically for the gun range who would never come close to that DQ otherwise.

In terms of safety, there will be the anecdotal "bogey man" type arguments that are a reflection of the way people feel about guns. We just need to remain logical and polite.

If this were almost any other business, I would say the proposal would be an easy sell. In fact, it looks very similar to a drugstore from the outside. But, since this is gun-related, and the mayor has already expressed opposition, and the process is in the hands of people appointed or hired by the mayor, I don't think this is a sure bet.

In fact, I think people - primarily constituents - need to make a public show of support for this in order to apply gentle pressure.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    Just wandered if anybody in Carmel is planning on starting a petition in favor of the gun shop. I talked to a neighbor who is not a gun guy and he thinks it would be fine. Talked to a Carmel Policeman and he thinks gun shops are pretty safe.

vwfred69

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    noblesville
    Park place is south of Dairy Queen but there is also the empty Chinese Buffet Just north that could be a good location except its next to an apartment complex.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm thinking that a petition of some sort would be a good idea. I don't think it will make or break the deal with the PC (partly because it is so hard to confirm the signatures and such), but it would still be one more piece of information to present.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I was thinking something as simple as
    Are you in favor of the gun shop coming into Carmel and yes or no check box if they have a LTC or not.

Think that would work or any suggestions?

I'm also going to ride over to their place in OH just so I can say I have seen it there.

rausch51

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    The Ville
    The petition idea is a good one. Anybody have any experience setting up a petition on Change.org? Electronically would be the best/easiest/fastest way to spread the word.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, I'm not sure this is the most elegantly-worded petition, but I started one at Change.org:
    https://www.change.org/petitions/ca...a-properly-zoned-gun-range-within-city-limits

I wanted to do something like what IHG suggested and have a secondary question about whether the person is a LTCH holder. That would give a good indication of the cross section of supporters.

But, change.org doesn't seem to allow that sort of thing. If someone has a better site, I don't mind posting another petition elsewhere. Also, if there are other Carmel sites (like the Indystar comments and Facebook) post the link there.

indyharleyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Carmel
    I have posted the petition link on several Facebook pages I have. I would suggest everybody else do the same.

I also plan on riding my Harley over to see them in Cincinnati soon so I can be very informed about them when I speak in front of the City Planning commission. I have also left a message for Tom the owner so I can talk to him to see what he suggests we might do to help.
    Charlie

Last edited:
    Top Bottom