• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I tried to stock up as much as I can. I don't have a huge supply, but I have just enough 9mm to take 2 training classes, and do a little plinking. The rest is for just in case there's another class that comes up I want to take.

For 5.56/.223, I don't have a lot. I stocked up as much as I could, but I am afraid to shoot my newly built AR because I don't have THAT much ammo. And it sucks, since I have only shot 100 rounds thru it. I want to shoot it more.

I want to take an Appleseed. But I didn't stock up on .22lr. I only have one 550 round box that's partially full.
    When I can afford to attend an Appleseed that's close, I'm hoping to post a WTB ad for some .22lr that is just enough to take the class.

As for sharing ammo, I a couple hundred rounds of 9mm to my brother, at less cost than what I paid for. Why? Because our parents bought him a Glock 19 for Christmas so he has a way to protect him, his girlfriend, and their new daughter. He had to sell all his guns last summer to pay off hospital bills. So I sold him ammo so he can practice a bit. My Christmas gift to him was ammo, by the way.

Where are you located? I might be able to help with some .22lr.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I get the whole Free Market thing and if there wasn't more to it I would be in favor too.

Has anyone thought about all the ammo the Obama admin has been buying up for agencies like the IRS whose agents are forbidden to even carry firearms? Feel free to check that, they can't carry by law, not even if they have carry permits, while on duty. Why do they need millions of rounds of handgun ammo? How about the unarmed TSA? They too got millions of rounds they can't use though they can be armed if they change some rules as it isn't a law for them.

How about when the antis, to include Barry and the Dems calling for more gun laws, said openly that the best way to screw gun owners is through AMMO since it is so much easier to control. They have a number of ways that they don't even need to pass through congress to make AMMO so costly that only the rich can shoot. They can simply tax the :poop: out of it like they are starting to do with tobacco and booze. There are other ways as well, the BATFE can simply make a new ruling about how it will be sold and make a new license and there would be nothing we could do about it at all.

What makes me laugh is the way they have gotten us to do it to ourselves. I imagine that there are even more than a few of the antis buying ammo and reloading equipment and components up to resell for five or more times what it's worth just to watch us squirm. The whole time if someone speaks up about this possibility, they are called names like they are amongst the little boys on the school playground again. Once this start the other boys pile on, again like a playground, until each of us who have alternative ideas decide to shut up.

Well, I assure you, this is my last post on this and my last time trying. I have mentioned some of this and tried a few times and of course gotten the treatment. So you understand, it isn't that it upsets me to be called names here, it's just a gun forum on the internet after all. Most of those who do this do their best to hide their identity as well so it is hard to take them seriously. Anonymity makes a person very bold, speaking up in public where people can see you and know your name is veery different and something I doubt many here would do. I am listed in the phone book, look me up, Gary Diana in Terre Haute. Why this will be my last time to try is it seems like we deserve this if we aren't bright enough to listen to all sides of the debate without shouting something down.

Now think seriously about this, it is so easy to simply let us control guns by the method we have apparently chosen, panic sales and buying. Next time you pay stupid money for ammo, or a gun or any firearms related something remember, you are only encouraging this to continue. Until then make sure you check the sales area and note that there are many of us resisting the chance to make a mint off of our own. If that makes me stupid, then that's what i am. If you are set and have all you need then you should probably stay out of these arguments since you are not helping anything by taunting folks for no better reason that to tell everyone how "smart" you think you are, you aren't really... You're just lucky. If you were able to know some random school shooting would happen then I would like to know how. I'd also like to know why you did nothing to stop it.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    IMO we fellow gun owners should be sharing ammo instead of hoarding it, I mean do some of us really NEED 10,000rds of .22 while other struggle to find a box? I needed to vent a little... Ok, I think I'm done.. Or at least when you go to sell it, put a fair price on it and not sell all of it to one buyer but instead split it up between a couple people.. Anyone agree?

i'm running low ,what kind of ammo are you willing to share?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If you are set and have all you need then you should probably stay out of these arguments since you are not helping anything by taunting folks for no better reason that to tell everyone how "smart" you think you are, you aren't really... You're just lucky. If you were able to know some random school shooting would happen then I would like to know how. I'd also like to know why you did nothing to stop it.

It's not about showing how "smart" we are, it's about trying to get people to think beyond the next 5 minutes of their lives.

It's not luck to preplan for crisis situations. Obviously no one can predict or prepare for every single eventuality, but some things in life ARE predictable and NOT preparing for them is dumb, especially when one is disparaging those who do prepare, then complaining about how you don't have what you "need" when the "crisis" happens is even dumber.

When there has been a very regular periodic run on guns and ammo that has resulted in shortages that last for a few months to a year, then prices drop way down again for 2-3 years, then the cycle repeats, and yet some people who know it happens yet STILL refuse to prepare for it, well, that's a special kind of stupid.

It's kind of like the whole alcohol sales on Sunday issue. Not that I think we shouldn't sell on Sunday, but you get lots and lots of people who STILL can't plan their drinking enough ahead to be stocked up when it comes as no surprise that you can't buy booze on Sunday.

I'm not trying to prove how "smart" I am, though there is a certain satisfaction in knowing I am prepared to weather a storm. I AM trying to get people to plan ahead because the more people who DO plan ahead, the less these "shortages" will have an effect, and the shorter they will last. It's a Sisyphean task, I know, but sadly it seems to be my curse that I care enough about other people to try to help them prevent trouble.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I guess I never noticed these cyclic runs. Of course there is hunting season and such but that doesn't do anything like this to the market. As for helping people learn to prepare, is drubbing them and making them feel like dopes the best tactic? I think all that does is cause them to think you are strutting around showing off how smart you are, but that's me.

See, I have what I need to get through this too. I always have a fair bit of stuff around so that when stuff like this happens I am not running around like a fool trying to buy things for stupid prices. It doesn't help to tell them now though so I don't, especially when I think there is more to this one than meets the eye.

Instead of making them realize what they already know, why not try to help them? I prepare and perhaps over prepare so I can help people when things are bad. I have been too. I do that instead of every thread of this sort I pop in and say, "I am set and you should have been too if you had listened to me when I told you this was coming." Exactly who does this reach or help?

These shortages aren't easy to plan for unless you always keep extra on hand and a lot of folks can't do that for one reason or another. I can, no wife, no kids, live alone in a house so I have room and don't have to worry about anyone getting into anything. Biggest trouble for me is money living on a fixed income but since I have been doing this since before I was disabled, I just buy what I shoot and stay stocked that way. Some folks have people who spend their money for them to eat and clothe themselves plus they go to school and all that stuff and then out of this they have fun with what's left. Kids and wives can make it harder, not impossible but harder, especially if they aren't all that fond of guns in the first place and your having them is a compromise. Now add having loads of ammo or reloading components stored for a shortage and the arguments start. Never had this experience myself but I have watched them with friends.

So it isn't always easy to do and that is why telling them what they already know doesn't help. That does indeed make it Sisyphean mostly because it has too many obstacles to even begin.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I keep a few thousand extra rounds cushion . but because of my whinning friends I have reached out to a family member who works at federal ammunition . I have requested 10,000 rnds of 22lr . This is what myself and the grand kids shoot each year . If he can do anymore I will pass the rest along to those who thought stocking up was silly . I kept stocking up because I've never seen ammo go down in price .

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you are set and have all you need then you should probably stay out of these arguments since you are not helping anything by taunting folks for no better reason that to tell everyone how "smart" you think you are, you aren't really... You're just lucky. If you were able to know some random school shooting would happen then I would like to know how. I'd also like to know why you did nothing to stop it.

Are you mad? You should have known that the day Obama got re-elected that another panic was going to happen, shooting or not. I know he would make gun control a priority on his second term. He's just using the shooting to get an emotional response. It's not like Fienstein just wrote her bill a month ago. It's not my fault that people do not pay attention to what's is going on. I also made the decesion to reload back in 2010.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    Are you mad? You should have known that the day Obama got re-elected that another panic was going to happen, shooting or not. I know he would make gun control a priority on his second term. He's just using the shooting to get an emotional response. It's not like Fienstein just wrote her bill a month ago. It's not my fault that people do not pay attention to what's is going on. I also made the decesion to reload back in 2010.

Actually you could see this coming as far back as at least 2007.
    While it wasn't an absolute certainty that Obama would win the 2008 election, you could see the writing on the wall.
    When he took office it was just a matter of time, and winning a second term practically guaranteed there would be strong anti-gun efforts.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I
    Instead of making them realize what they already know, why not try to help them? I prepare and perhaps over prepare so I can help people when things are bad. I have been too. I do that instead of every thread of this sort I pop in and say, "I am set and you should have been too if you had listened to me when I told you this was coming." Exactly who does this reach or help?

These shortages aren't easy to plan for unless you always keep extra on hand and a lot of folks can't do that for one reason or another.

Want to know why I keep up with that never-ending drumbeat?

I have spent my entire life in emergency services, disaster response, search and rescue, and general preparation. I have helped literally thousands of people in ways from simple comfort to saving their lives. Almost all of that time it's been as a volunteer of some sort except for the time I've spent working as an EMT.

Care to guess how many of those people were in crisis because of an unavoidable emergency? A very small percentage. Want to know how many of those people who were in crisis could have done a lot to help themselves but couldn't be bothered until the crisis was upon them? Most of them.

Here's a shocker: care to guess how many of those same people, after the crisis was over, bothered to obtain even some basic training or supplies to help deal with that exact same crisis? Not very many.

So, excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who have lived through a shortage of something that is in essence not a need, but a recreational enjoyment beyond the few rounds needed for basic self defense.

The whole "I can't afford/have space to store/etc" is really weak. If you can afford to buy a box of ammo when it's almost double the normal price, you can afford to sit on that money a few months and buy two when the price drops again and then happily shoot one and save one. And unless you are living in a 6x8 cell where they probably won't allow you to have a gun anyway, you have room to store enough ammo for a few months worth of your normal shooting. If your budget is so tight that the cost of a box of ammo can break you then you have worse problems than not being able to walk into Walmart and buy one along with the beer and cigarettes.

If you've got a better way of convincing people to prepare for shortages or crisis, I'm all ears. I'm pretty sure that simply giving them a good price on ammo I've stored isn't going to help either. People may think I'm a nice guy for it, but then they still have no incentive to plan ahead.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Humans are what they are and changing them by teasing and taunting works well, right?

Missing all the rest of my post by being superior little survivors.

¥ou are all model shooters, we hang together... :rolleyes:

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    Want to know why I keep up with that never-ending drumbeat?

I have spent my entire life in emergency services, disaster response, search and rescue, and general preparation. I have helped literally thousands of people in ways from simple comfort to saving their lives. Almost all of that time it's been as a volunteer of some sort except for the time I've spent working as an EMT.

Care to guess how many of those people were in crisis because of an unavoidable emergency? A very small percentage. Want to know how many of those people who were in crisis could have done a lot to help themselves but couldn't be bothered until the crisis was upon them? Most of them.

Here's a shocker: care to guess how many of those same people, after the crisis was over, bothered to obtain even some basic training or supplies to help deal with that exact same crisis? Not very many.

So, excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who have lived through a shortage of something that is in essence not a need, but a recreational enjoyment beyond the few rounds needed for basic self defense.

The whole "I can't afford/have space to store/etc" is really weak. If you can afford to buy a box of ammo when it's almost double the normal price, you can afford to sit on that money a few months and buy two when the price drops again and then happily shoot one and save one. And unless you are living in a 6x8 cell where they probably won't allow you to have a gun anyway, you have room to store enough ammo for a few months worth of your normal shooting. If your budget is so tight that the cost of a box of ammo can break you then you have worse problems than not being able to walk into Walmart and buy one along with the beer and cigarettes.

If you've got a better way of convincing people to prepare for shortages or crisis, I'm all ears. I'm pretty sure that simply giving them a good price on ammo I've stored isn't going to help either. People may think I'm a nice guy for it, but then they still have no incentive to plan ahead.

Rep inbound - well said, sir.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Humans are what they are and changing them by teasing and taunting works well, right?

Missing all the rest of my post by being superior little survivors.

¥ou are all model shooters, we hang together... :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for your suggestions of ways to get people to pay attention and change their ways, you clearly have some ideas of what works, please enlighten me. And while there is mild sarcasm in there, it's only mild and only partly sarcasm, I am genuinely interested in any strategy that can improve people's preparedness because in spite of what you may believe, I really am interested in helping people as my life's work illustrates.

And correcting people's behavior by using the very tactic you claim doesn't work doesn't exactly put you in a good light either.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I understand that stocking up on ammo is a good thing. I have taught a couple Hunter ed classes since this all started and the ones that are being shut out are the new comers to firearm ownership. They did not know that they needed to stock up on ammo this time last year some of these people did not even own a firearm. I have some ammo so at this point I buy a few boxes of 22's so that I can give or sell it to a new shooter that can't find any. The OP is just stating that there are several that are just buying because it is there and trying to flip it to profit from this shortage. Will this affect how I shoot this summer you bet because I can't replace it so it will not get shot. I see both sides but for some it is not that they did not have the foresight to stock up but rather they are new to the sport. My 2 cents

BLACKCAT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I have prepared for the shooting season and am waiting. I will shoot every thing I have if it makes a good year at the range. Keep only my self defense amo.

IfUDare01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Fishers
    I don't have all the answers but I would say if you have 10k of ammo already. Let the next guy have a chance to get some. Just saying.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    shibumiseeker Never said I had the answers for what you are doing. I said I had some ideas as to why this is going on. I said that there are some things you can't make people do no matter how much you try and preparing for things is one of them. If you want to focus on that instead of the politics involved, by all means, do so.

I did offer a few thing to think about as to why this one is rather long lasting and all encompassing but since the firearms community spends most of its time making fun of factions within itself than hanging together as one, those get ignored so that the petty stuff can continue. It's no wonder we always have to give a little bit more up each time we come under fire. We never have been a group that just wants one thing, we are a bunch of groups who want a bunch of things so we wind up getting none of them.

May I ask without causing too big of a stir, how many of you have done any writing, calling or emailing your D.C. representation? Maybe you have visited them in their offices?

OR

Do you just send a few extra bucks to some lobby group when stuff like this goes on?

I want our rights under the Constitution to be restored, not stay here or maybe give a bit here s we keep this or that...for now... I ant laws REPEALED. I am also a realist and while I still want this, I will do all in my power to stop any further losses here and now as well.

This ammo thing is showing Barry and crew a great way to screw us and it is one they already thought to try. Now that they see that can stop law abiding folks from shooting just by sucking up the ammo and making this a rich man's game, what do you think they will do if they fail to get the laws they want? How prepared are you really? Do you have a life time's supply so you can shoot the way you want to for the rest of your lives even if you find powder, primer and cases darn near impossible to get due to pricing? Is your job that good? Mine isn't and so even though I do try to prepare I start at a disadvantage.

My income is a lot lower that most folk's income. Does this then mean I need to be schooled on how to prepare? or teased that I didn't do enough? I did quite a lot with what I had, seems that the smug air here doesn't really take everything into consideration. I am glad you are able to earn the way you do, I hope you are never hurt badly in an accident and find yourself unable to do so anymore, the accident wasn't my fault either, it just happened.

Life happens though but I know my Redeemer Lives and will never burden me with more than I can carry.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    shibumiseeker Never said I had the answers for what you are doing. I said I had some ideas as to why this is going on. I said that there are some things you can't make people do no matter how much you try and preparing for things is one of them. If you want to focus on that instead of the politics involved, by all means, do so.

I did offer a few thing to think about as to why this one is rather long lasting and all encompassing but since the firearms community spends most of its time making fun of factions within itself than hanging together as one, those get ignored so that the petty stuff can continue. It's no wonder we always have to give a little bit more up each time we come under fire. We never have been a group that just wants one thing, we are a bunch of groups who want a bunch of things so we wind up getting none of them.

May I ask without causing too big of a stir, how many of you have done any writing, calling or emailing your D.C. representation? Maybe you have visited them in their offices?

OR

Do you just send a few extra bucks to some lobby group when stuff like this goes on?

I want our rights under the Constitution to be restored, not stay here or maybe give a bit here s we keep this or that...for now... I ant laws REPEALED. I am also a realist and while I still want this, I will do all in my power to stop any further losses here and now as well.

This ammo thing is showing Barry and crew a great way to screw us and it is one they already thought to try. Now that they see that can stop law abiding folks from shooting just by sucking up the ammo and making this a rich man's game, what do you think they will do if they fail to get the laws they want? How prepared are you really? Do you have a life time's supply so you can shoot the way you want to for the rest of your lives even if you find powder, primer and cases darn near impossible to get due to pricing? Is your job that good? Mine isn't and so even though I do try to prepare I start at a disadvantage.

My income is a lot lower that most folk's income. Does this then mean I need to be schooled on how to prepare? or teased that I didn't do enough? I did quite a lot with what I had, seems that the smug air here doesn't really take everything into consideration. I am glad you are able to earn the way you do, I hope you are never hurt badly in an accident and find yourself unable to do so anymore, the accident wasn't my fault either, it just happened.

Life happens though but I know my Redeemer Lives and will never burden me with more than I can carry.

Replace guns and ammo with 401k's and IRA's. Would the share the wealth crowd say we should share our 401k's and IRA's with those who's employers didn't offer retirement savings plans or just couldn't afford to contribute to one? If we want to keep our retirement plans from being nationalized, we must hang together and help each other out.

What's so damn frustrating with all these gouging and hoarding threads is people will scream bloody murder at anything that Obama and the dems do as bring socialist but when it comes to guns and ammo, it's time to share the wealth.

Top Bottom