• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    IMO we fellow gun owners should be sharing ammo instead of hoarding it, I mean do some of us really NEED 10,000rds of .22 while other struggle to find a box? I needed to vent a little... Ok, I think I'm done.. Or at least when you go to sell it, put a fair price on it and not sell all of it to one buyer but instead split it up between a couple people.. Anyone agree?

I have already done this, offered a 550 Fed. bulk pack, to someone going to Appleseed, that can't find any .22 ammo .....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ok, you are COMPLETLEY missing my point. I am not talking about a "Bob and Jim" story. Read my above statement and what i described, if someone is stupid and blows their money on the things you describe then that is a whole different story, but if a man wants to teach a person to shoot and cant do so due to a ammo shortage that is different and i think we sould help him out with a little ammo so somebody dosnt go around with a gun they dont know how to properly shoot and end up hurting someone. This is not a post about ignorant people not prepping but about being helpful americans and fellow gun owners..

For whatever reason someone didn't stock up, they still didn't stock up. Anybody with a lick of sense knows that the gun market is subject to panic and possible bans. Take hi cap mags for example. Is there anyone out there that doesn't know that the federal government and states want to ban them? Knowing that when times are good and prices are low, they don't buy any? They wait until there's talk of a ban to decide they better buy some?

Why would anyone not stock up on ammo? Do you only buy enough gas at a time to get back and forth to work each day or do you fill your tank? Do you stop at the grocery store every day to get what's needed for tonight's meal? Do you only buy toilet paper one square at a time? So why would the only ammo you have is what you bought on the way to the range?

With the recent panic buying in 2008, could anyone not see that it would happen again if Obama won reelection? With a democrat senate and Obama as president, could you not see that bans might be tried?

Are you prepared for a day where there may be a total economic collapse? Waiting til the day of to decide you need something isn't a very good strategy. If taking your grandkids out shooting the 22 is of such importance, be prepared to have a nice supply on hand.

Again, given the right situation, I may choose to share. Come here *****ing about the hoarders and the price gougers and possess a general attitude of entitlement? Sorry, not my problem.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Did you REALLY NEED that new boat when I was buying cheap ammo years ago?

I don't feel bad one bit about hoarding ammo or selling it for a profit, it's part of the market. Call me what you will, it doesn't bother me...

Now the people that are camping at Walmart just to snatch up the cheap ammo and flip it for instant profits, I'm right there with you on that... it's selfish and stupid IMHO. But we live in a society of selfish and stupid people and I don't think those people are your typical gun owner...

Back to the hoarding aspect. I paid for this ammo years ago so I can have security in it. I know it's there, and I have access to it. That cost me a price when others were out squandering their money on boats, lavish vacations etc. Your time of reward for your money spent was then, my reward is now.

I do not mean any specific person by the term "you" or "your", just a generalization.

That being said, the hoarders that have had ammo for years and are either not buying ammo because they have their stash to draw from, or are selling out of their stash to help fill demand are helping the cause. "Reasonable price" is determined by the market. It really stinks for new guys that are just getting started, but if they show patience they will be rewarded very well (with lower ammo prices and better availability and selection).

And just maybe those forced to deal with our current reality will learn from this panic and not get caught with their pants down when the next one comes. Or we can coddle them and they won't learn anything at all.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    For whatever reason someone didn't stock up, they still didn't stock up. Anybody with a lick of sense knows that the gun market is subject to panic and possible bans. Take hi cap mags for example. Is there anyone out there that doesn't know that the federal government and states want to ban them? Knowing that when times are good and prices are low, they don't buy any? They wait until there's talk of a ban to decide they better buy some?

Why would anyone not stock up on ammo? Do you only buy enough gas at a time to get back and forth to work each day or do you fill your tank? Do you stop at the grocery store every day to get what's needed for tonight's meal? Do you only buy toilet paper one square at a time? So why would the only ammo you have is what you bought on the way to the range?

With the recent panic buying in 2008, could anyone not see that it would happen again if Obama won reelection? With a democrat senate and Obama as president, could you not see that bans might be tried?

Are you prepared for a day where there may be a total economic collapse? Waiting til the day of to decide you need something isn't a very good strategy. If taking your grandkids out shooting the 22 is of such importance, be prepared to have a nice supply on hand.

Again, given the right situation, I may choose to share. Come here *****ing about the hoarders and the price gougers and possess a general attitude of entitlement? Sorry, not my problem.

Wow.. :horse: And I showed no entitlement to anything, so please stop acting like I'm after your stash your so proud of.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    If you want to share yours, feel free. Just don't act like I owe it to others.

I don't act like YOU owe it to anyone, did I mention your name specifically? NO. I agree with you that people should have stocked up. My point is that new shooters have no chance of proper training if they can't find ammo. Think of it this way, would you rather them own a gun and never had shot it because of ammo shortage or have "someone" sell some ammo to then at a decent price and them be a safe gun owner? I know it's certain people's own fault for not stocking up, you are right there, that's not my point. My point is about the people buying all a store has out of the selfishness of flipping it for a profit. Again this I not about me, I have the ammo I need and have shared plenty (as much as I could spare).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't act like YOU owe it to anyone, did I mention your name specifically? NO. I agree with you that people should have stocked up. My point is that new shooters have no chance of proper training if they can't find ammo. Think of it this way, would you rather them own a gun and never had shot it because of ammo shortage or have "someone" sell some ammo to then at a decent price and them be a safe gun owner? I know it's certain people's own fault for not stocking up, you are right there, that's not my point. My point is about the people buying all a store has out of the selfishness of flipping it for a profit. Again this I not about me, I have the ammo I need and have shared plenty (as much as I could spare).

Those of us who prepared have been called just about everything but a mf'er by those who didn't. After this panic passes over, they'll not prepare and those very same people will be crying again at the next panic. It gets old.

I haven't bought any ammo since this panic started. I ordered 3000 bullets. I'm waiting on backordered powder to reload them and who knows when I'll get it. I'm not worried about it. I'm dealing with the same market and pricing as everyone else is. I just don't have to pay it. Aside from 22, 95% of the ammo I have is reloads so I couldn't sell it if I wanted to. If I were to sell, I must factor in the possibility that I may never be able to replace it.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I don't act like YOU owe it to anyone
    You certainly implied that was your thought in the OP... no matter if you call out specific names or not you're implying that you think those that prepared (as a whole because you aren't naming anybody specifically) should be sharing their stock-piles at pre-panic prices. That is what you meant by reasonable price right?

So what you are saying is that those that do have ammo should be selling it to others that don't have ammo and that if they do sell that ammo they shouldn't be charging higher prices... right? I didn't read the whole thread but that's what I've gathered from you in your OP and the last couple pages. If that is, indeed, what you're saying that hornadylnl is exactly right. You think others should be rewarded for their lack of preparedness by those that are prepared... that's entitlement...

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    For the millionth time.... I am not talking about the people who neglected to prep. I am talking about new gun owners who can't find ammo so they buy what they can and never shoot because they may only have 50-100rds and think since they don't have much ten they will not shoot any to save it for an emergency.. They should have an chance to buy some at a fair price. I agree that charging a bit more for it is within reason, I am more talking about the stupid high prices like that on arms list and gun broker. Their prices are marked up a horrid amount. I'm not saying give it to them at cost but just be more fair then the gouges on GB

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    For the millionth time.... I am not talking about the people who neglected to prep. I am talking about new gun owners who can't find ammo so they buy what they can and never shoot because they may only have 50-100rds and think since they don't have much ten they will not shoot any to save it for an emergency.. They should have an chance to buy some at a fair price. I agree that charging a bit more for it is within reason, I am more talking about the stupid high prices like that on arms list and gun broker. Their prices are marked up a horrid amount. I'm not saying give it to them at cost but just be more fair then the gouges on GB
    I understand the frustration, I really do... but neglecting to prep whether out of ignorance of guns, or whatever, is still that... I feel for the guys that can't find ammo and I hope they can just be patient... but I will bet 80-90% of "new gun owners" as a result of the recently attention it has gotten are the types that could have bought guns and ammo a long time ago... they just chose to spend it on boats and crap instead... they missed the boat... it really sucks for them.

If I know of any of them personally that were completely ignorant of guns and just came to them I'll help them out, but there are too many scammers out there that will either flip the ammo for a profit or will claim "i'm a new gun owner" just to get a good price... it's unfortunate but I'm not taking a personal hit just to help a total stranger that didn't see it coming...

If you know of anybody that was verifiably in a predicament that prevented them from buying guns sooner do to actual bum-luck, that's a different story... but those people are few and far between...

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    If you want to share yours, feel free. Just don't act like I owe it to others.

I understand the frustration, I really do... but neglecting to prep whether out of ignorance of guns, or whatever, is still that... I feel for the guys that can't find ammo and I hope they can just be patient... but I will bet 80-90% of "new gun owners" as a result of the recently attention it has gotten are the types that could have bought guns and ammo a long time ago... they just chose to spend it on boats and crap instead... they missed the boat... it really sucks for them.

If I know of any of them personally that were completely ignorant of guns and just came to them I'll help them out, but there are too many scammers out there that will either flip the ammo for a profit or will claim "i'm a new gun owner" just to get a good price... it's unfortunate but I'm not taking a personal hit just to help a total stranger that didn't see it coming...

If you know of anybody that was verifiably in a predicament that prevented them from buying guns sooner do to actual bum-luck, that's a different story... but those people are few and far between...

Thank you for being reasonable. I'm not saying pass it out to every joe that comes complaining that there's no ammo. I'm saying share with those that honestly couldn't buy when it was available.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not saying pass it out to every joe that comes complaining that there's no ammo. I'm saying share with those that honestly couldn't buy when it was available.

I have helped a few since Dec.... Saying that though, I can honestly state I have NOT ran into anyone during the same time period I felt was needing ammo because they " couldn't " buy it prior... It was their choice !

You know, I read the majority of the posts here. Unless I missed something, I never saw any post where a member stated they would NOT help someone out under any circumstances. I believe there is a lot more helping going on out there than you realize.

The difference in the opinions I see here are the majority want to retain their right of deciding who they want to help and under what circumstances/conditions they are willing to help, while some want to decide the details for them.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

This is truth, especially the last part.

My grandpa taught me to shoot when I was 11. I don't think we shot more than 5 rounds of .410 and 20 rounds of .22lr in that session which seemed to last all day.

Almost all of us here have posted that we've actually helped out folks who were caught short. What we're not into is being called hoarders for having 10k rounds of .22lr with the implication that the shortage is our fault and that we have a duty to sell off our stock at prepanic prices.

And quite frankly, the grandpa who wants to take the new shooter out can bloody well afford to pay 10x the prepanic price for a box of 50 rounds of .22lr. It's the people who burn through ammo like there's no tomorrow and then whine that they can't buy a case of ammo to burn through again as cheap as they did before. Those are the especially irritating ones. One now banned poster here went and bought 10k worth of .223 components last summer when the stuff was really cheap just so he could be sure he could have as much as he wanted to burn through, and I have yet to hear him *****ing that he can't find ammo.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I tried to stock up as much as I can. I don't have a huge supply, but I have just enough 9mm to take 2 training classes, and do a little plinking. The rest is for just in case there's another class that comes up I want to take.

For 5.56/.223, I don't have a lot. I stocked up as much as I could, but I am afraid to shoot my newly built AR because I don't have THAT much ammo. And it sucks, since I have only shot 100 rounds thru it. I want to shoot it more.

I want to take an Appleseed. But I didn't stock up on .22lr. I only have one 550 round box that's partially full.
    When I can afford to attend an Appleseed that's close, I'm hoping to post a WTB ad for some .22lr that is just enough to take the class.

As for sharing ammo, I a couple hundred rounds of 9mm to my brother, at less cost than what I paid for. Why? Because our parents bought him a Glock 19 for Christmas so he has a way to protect him, his girlfriend, and their new daughter. He had to sell all his guns last summer to pay off hospital bills. So I sold him ammo so he can practice a bit. My Christmas gift to him was ammo, by the way.

Top Bottom