• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If we were having a blizzard, and ammo was wheat flour, the interesting study of social behavior would be applicable.

Nobody is going to die for lack of 22 ammo.

There is another story, concerning 10 virgins and a sufficient volume of oil for their lamps. I think you will find it far more enlightening than the fanciful events of a young woman pioneer.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Maybe this whole ammo shortage thing might be thought of as a little warning or premonition of possible shortages of even more important things (food, water)to come in the future??? Kind of like a useful, non-lifethreatening learning experience???

Naaaa!! Put the tin foil down and carry on as usual.
    :)
    Those who feel entitled to the guns and ammo of others will be the same ones who feel entitled to others food when there is a shortage.

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Is ammo like crack? Are people going into Gander Mountain looking around all twitchy and wide eyed for just a little box of 22 ammo?

It's not a necessity per say. It is nice to have and fun to waste at the range but there is no immediate threat that requires it. We are not being invaded or in the midst of a revolution. Your family will not starve if you don't bring home some game.

It will come back round and when it does stock up a little or a lot.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    There is another story, concerning 10 virgins and a sufficient volume of oil for their lamps. I think you will find it far more enlightening than the fanciful events of a young woman pioneer.

OK. Enough dreary talk about ammo shortages.
    I want to hear the story about 10 virgins and the oil. :popcorn:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I know the font was purple (sorta), but I never understand why it's acceptable to put money in the bank but not supplies in the storage. Can't eat money.

That's not acceptable either. Share the wealth, kulak!!

Oh, and about the extra cow in your barn...

:laugh:

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    IMO we fellow gun owners should be sharing ammo instead of hoarding it, I mean do some of us really NEED 10,000rds of .22 while other struggle to find a box? I needed to vent a little... Ok, I think I'm done.. Or at least when you go to sell it, put a fair price on it and not sell all of it to one buyer but instead split it up between a couple people.. Anyone agree?

Some people just don't get it and never will...

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    OK. Enough dreary talk about ammo shortages.
    I want to hear the story about 10 virgins and the oil. :popcorn:

Again??!?!?

Ok here we go.
    Once upon a time there were ten virgins and a bottle of lavendar scented massage oil. It was a sultry night and the soft sounds of Kenny G could be heard from the next room.....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Can people stop *****ing and moaning because they can't find ammo. If you had the opportunity to buy in the past, and did not, that's your fault. Everyone should have known when Obama was reelected, that there would be another panic. If you lived in a area where power outages where common during the winter. Would you wait the day before a storm to buy gas for your generator, food, water, etc? Don't blame others for spending their money as they saw fit.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My only regret is I didnt have enough disposable cash set aside for about 5k more rounds of 22lr. I did stock up a bunch of primers and lead to cast to support me and my son's 357/38 habit. I had been concentrating on long term food with my extra money for a while along with trying to get out of debt. I will earmark a few Franklins for 22lr bulk when it starts becoming available again though.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Can people stop *****ing and moaning because they can't find ammo. If you had the opportunity to buy in the past, and did not, that's your fault. Everyone should have known when Obama was reelected, that there would be another panic. If you lived in a area where power outages where common during the winter. Would you wait the day before a storm to buy gas for your generator, food, water, etc? Don't blame others for spending their money as they saw fit.

Oh, and about the gas, silver, food you bought before the price rise. You should sell to me at pre-panic prices because it's not fair of you to plan, when I didn't.

I'm thinking also of the Grasshopper and the Ants...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    OP: As demonstrated in this thread, there isn't a lot of sympathy here for your desire to force others to share their ammo supply. You didn't share in the cost of building up that stock over the last few years, storing it, and having some question your sanity for it. Those with more may share voluntarily and usually at current/market prices. I recommend that you take this as a life lesson. It doesn't just apply to ammo.

So, what can you do for now?
    • Keep an eye out for available/affordable ammo.
    • Be more flexible in where you are willing to look. Some seem to go no further than Walmart. Check with your LGS and online.
    • Be more flexible in the brands of ammo you are willing to use. Everyone knows Remington, Federal, Winchester, and CCI. Be open to using lesser known brands like PMC, Wolf, Aguilla, etc.
    • Consider reloading your own ammo. It isn't for everyone, but it can be a very good solution.
    • Learn about dry firing. Doesn't replace the fun of regular shooting, but it is very valuable for training and costs nothing.
    • When you do shoot, emphasize shooting for accuracy rather than quantity. Appleseed training is a very good way to learn accuracy.
    • And finally, learn from this shortage. Hopefully things will settle back down in the not-too-distant future. Maybe you should be prepared for the next set of attempts to restrict our gun rights and have some stock built up.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I understand what you are saying...but you are saying out of selfish motives. I dont have near the stockpile i want to...but thats my own fault. I have enough to keep me for quite a while though. So what do i do? I keep an eye out for the ammo i need. I buy when i feel like its a decent deal (i wont pay insanity prices) and i can get it. Basically I own up to my mistake and try to fix it on my own without asking others to bail me out like some bank/car company did to our STUPID government.

In reality MOST of the people that are buying up ammo wont shoot it. They will shoot a little and the hold it. So they wont need to stock pile more. They are not of the mindset of putting back for later or they think they have enough and will be fine. Only when hard times hit do they think about the fact that they dont really have enough.

I dont know how much everyone else shoots but last year alone I shot over 10k rounds. I know for me its tough to keep enough ammo to sustain that pace of shooting. And we all know that if we all "pooled" our ammo everyone would shoot more because the perceived amount of ammo would be alot per person. But your # of rounds shot would go up (as would many others) thus draining the pool much faster. On top of that you probly dont have as much to contribute to the pool as you would shoot....otherwise you wouldnt have started this thread.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I have been buying ammo and storing it when I could. One of the reasons was to use is to barter with when the dollar completely crashed. I was prepared to sell it or trade it when the time came, but it showed up a little sooner so I sold some at a profit to buy other goods. I like a lot of other people didn't think this would happen this soon and wish I had tried to purchase more at lower prices. I don't expect those that stocked more supplies to give they EXTRAS to me because I wasn't prepared. I had planned on re-loading several thousand rounds after Christmas, but those supplies dried up too for a while. I do think things will calm down by this summer and we can all stock up again-hopefully some people will wake up.

I am sure that I will share or trade some of what I have when the economy bottoms up and chaos ensues, but that will all depend on the exact circumstances when it happens. I know that it will take the help of others to survive. I don't agree with someone telling me or my family or anyone else what is too much and that I need to share what I have diligently planned and prepared to stock up on.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I almost feel bad for having enough ammo to continue shooting all my calibers regularly during this shortage. :cheers:

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Again??!?!?

Ok here we go.
    Once upon a time there were ten virgins and a bottle of lavendar scented massage oil. It was a sultry night and the soft sounds of Kenny G could be heard from the next room.....

Now THAT sounds like a story with a deep, life changing message.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe this whole ammo shortage thing might be thought of as a little warning or premonition of possible shortages of even more important things (food, water)to come in the future??? Kind of like a useful, non-lifethreatening learning experience???

Naaaa!! Put the tin foil down and carry on as usual.
    :)

Which makes the revelations about personal value systems even more enlightening. If we have these arguments about ammo, what will we do when it is a matter of food, water, fuel? Friends and civilization will be forgotten immediately in the stampede for personal need. The devil gets those trampled underfoot. It seems to me we are seeing the Christmas line at Walmart mentality demonstrated here. "I got mine and the rest of you can suck eggs!"

Of course, the other side is just as adamant. "You don't need that much! My baby is hungry, and you don't care!! We need the government to take that supply and redistribute so everyone has enough! You hoarders are just evil SOBs!"

It is a very revealing thread. Fascinating study.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    BTW, I have enough ammo for now, but now an unlimited supply. I am working on building up some food, water, gas. I am also looking at relocating out of the city.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Hmmm... Maybe human behavior really isn't all that different from when Aesop's fables were written (Grasshopper and the Ant). ;)

BTW, I have enough ammo for now, but now an unlimited supply. I am working on building up some food, water, gas. I am also looking at relocating out of the city.

OMG! You are "prepping" in case there might be difficulties in the future? Didn't you know it was preferable to try to get it from others who had collected supplies when times were better?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Which makes the revelations about personal value systems even more enlightening. If we have these arguments about ammo, what will we do when it is a matter of food, water, fuel? Friends and civilization will be forgotten immediately in the stampede for personal need. The devil gets those trampled underfoot. It seems to me we are seeing the Christmas line at Walmart mentality demonstrated here. "I got mine and the rest of you can suck eggs!"

Of course, the other side is just as adamant. "You don't need that much! My baby is hungry, and you don't care!! We need the government to take that supply and redistribute so everyone has enough! You hoarders are just evil SOBs!"

I might be willing to give a fellow shooter a deal if they didn't feel they were entitled to it. Make fun of me for being a gun nut and now decide you need a gun because Obama said boo? Sorry, tough luck. Call me a hoarder because I was smart enough to stock up and you weren't? Sorry, tough luck. Call me a gouger because I factor in the possibility that I may never be able to replace what I'm selling? Sorry, tough luck. Come to me with respect and WITHOUT a sense of entitlement? I just might GIVE you what you're looking for.

Top Bottom