• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I use my income tax return, my wife and I file seperatly, she keeps hers and I keep mine. Also I save whatever I can for something I want...Christmas money etc.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it takes time to build up too....I've been collecting since I was 10...first a few inherited hunting guns, then got my first modern shotgun for hunting and a good trap gun that same year as I was getting heavily into competing in trap....after that I'd save what little money I could, and combine it with xmas/bday gifts or money to buy more gear...I think had 5 or 6 guns by age 11 or 12-ish.....I had been shooting since I was 6 though

additionally, as others have pointed out...having a good education in order to get into a good paying career, carefully budgeting, and keeping an eye on what you spend on....too many people waste too much money each month on things they don't realize that are NOT necessary

vette3667

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    1) Good Job - pay your bill first.

2) Financial Discipline - pay your bills first then save for guns.

3) Understanding Wife - not required if single, but if married this might be #1.

What he said in reverse order lol. My wife is super tolerant, my buddies isn't. We make the same money but guess who has more guns ;)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I see a lot of great guns being purchased, ordered, whatever. I was just wondering how you guys manage to afford all these guns. Some people have cabnets full. Jesus!
    Twenty bucks at a time...
    Other than the mortgage, there's no debt. Credit cards are used for cash back points, and paid off every month. (If there's no cash to back up the purchase, the purchase doesn't take place.)
    We drive older vehicles, live modestly beneath our means, don't smoke, don't drink, don't have cable, don't buy "the next toy out" (like xbox or whatever), don't have the latest in pc or TV (dinosaurs here!), rarely eat out, don't go to movies, and stuff we do for fun as a family is usually free or real inexpensive (bike rides, frisbee at the park, range trips, board games/cards etc.)...

Philabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Laporte, IN
    An understanding wife is a great one. We sold everything we own and started over...of course we kept some of the guns. But we are so close to financial independence that buying a gun here and there has become no big deal. You just have to make your priorities!

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    Twenty bucks at a time...
    Other than the mortgage, there's no debt. Credit cards are used for cash back points, and paid off every month. (If there's no cash to back up the purchase, the purchase doesn't take place.)
    We drive older vehicles, live modestly beneath our means, don't smoke, don't drink, don't have cable, don't buy "the next toy out" (like xbox or whatever), don't have the latest in pc or TV (dinosaurs here!), rarely eat out, don't go to movies, and stuff we do for fun as a family is usually free or real inexpensive (bike rides, frisbee at the park, range trips, board games/cards etc.)...

I second the credit card thing. I had them and I am glad to be rid of them. My bank card works the same except no finance charge. I look for deals to get them at a good price. And I am more for quality over quanity. I would take one gun that shoots like a dream over 100 that shoot like ****.

Hanen42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Ossian
    I save my drill money from the Army every month and 50 bucks a paycheck. Automatically direct deposited into a separate checking account. No checks, no debit cards. Pretty easy not to touch it. Just pay my bills with everything else and if I want some extra play money I get into a little side work. Trust me, prioritizing is key. I was careless when I turned 18, combine that and my ex wife...my credit is killed. Now that I'm older and learned a few tricks along the way, I'm back on the path to a good score!

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    a very understanding wife/husband(you have your spending habit, they have thier spending habit...meaning i like my guns and she likes those carousels and stuff...i spend money on my stuff and make sure she has money to spend on her stuff...but me i have a great wife she stays home i work and when anything is bought she thanks me for it even though she doesn't need to and if i wanna buy a gun she always says its your money your guns so do what you want...i scored big with my wife)...self dicipline(to make sure you don't over spend on the nonsense things to have money for your habits)...just think when you're spending money on things 'is it really worth it'..like right now is it really worth paying $20 to park downtown for the super bowl activities when 2 blocks away you can pay $10? you're walking anyway so whats 2 blocks.
    all in all if you make and stick to a buget then you should be able to squeeze in a few guns here and there.

and if your're savy enough to trade/sale the right way youcan increase your collection as well...for example...6 months ago i had a bersa 380 i bought off someone needing money...they said they didn't want it back so i started on a journey to get something more enjoyable...i sold it and bought a sigma...i sold the sigma for a 24/7....i sold it and picked up a pf9....sold it and picked up a fnp40...traded it for a glock 27...so in essence outside the gas money i had a glock 27 that i have only $250 in...that i traded for a glock 23...and now the 23 sits in my safe

but ultimately it comes back to dicipline
    and putting priorities in order(which would take dicipline to stick to)

jay2981

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    For me it's frugal living and two jobs. My main job handles all the bills with a bit left over and the 9hrs a week pizza delivery adds up fast.

mconnery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Richmond, IN.
    If I am at the LGS (Black Bore, Richmond In.) and see something I cannot live without, I simply go home and find another gun that I feel I can live without. The collection number never really goes up but it often appears to be differant.

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We don't live lavishly and well beneath our means. We still use televisions with the tube style screens - you know the thick kind!

My collection has shrank over the years - maybe for the better. Some guns that I wanted 5 years ago are not what I would want now. Some guns get sold or traded - oh well.
    I don't keep junk in my gunsafe. That makes it easier to say goodbye to good guns when I want to upgrade every so often.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Goal is to buy a gun a year by saving a little every month. (30 a month is 360.00) Having a family don't work out as planned always, pay bills first and foremost. Separate account direct deposit account really helps after first month don't even notice it's gone.

Note: after saving for a year, there is not as many guns you'll want to lay down money for (gar-ron-tee) you'll be more careful about making a purchase.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    I find side work to buy my guns and gear with. I am a network administrator by trade and I have a couple of small businesses that I work with on the side who only need tech support once a month or so. I put this money away and save up for what I want, nothing comes out of the family budget. My wife is an amazing lady who would have no problem with me saving back money out of the budget every month, but fortunately I never have to ask her either.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I for one quit smoking... that saved me close to $300 a month. :yesway: Also was fortunate enough to get a good education and a decent paying job (took me until I was 35, but better late than never!). :dunno: Still can't afford as many as I'd like! :):

+1! Thats how I could justify the glock 22 I just got :laugh:

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    My wife just laughs and shakes her head whenever I come home with something new, or when something shows up in the mail. As long as the bills get paid, she doesnt give me a hard time. A well paying job doesnt hurt either.

My purchases will come to a screeching halt in the next few months. Once the we start the new house Ill need to put all my resources towards that until its squared away.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I save all my change and cash it in once a year. You would be suprised at how much you'll have at the end of a year. I just cashed in my change and it was a little over $800 (not quite a years worth but close to it). Also, I dont have any credit cards and only pay cash for anything I want. Dont owe on anything, just the basics, rent, insurance, etc...

Top Bottom