• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Op, INGO has 19,834 members as of 12:27pm 1-30-12. I bet the average member buys one or two guns a year. For discussion lets say two guns per year. That is a total of 39,668 guns purchased each year, new or used doesn't matter for this point. assuming a member starts a new thread for each gun he obtains. that equals 39,668 threads a year, or around 108 threads a day, Just about "my new gun".

I buy 1 or 2 guns a year. My wife and I save our extra money and she buys sewing stuff while I buy gun stuff. We both have 1 hobby and put our extra money into that.

Last edited:

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    in dont, im flat broke...but have lots of guns :) .....and when the shtf all the money in the world wont mean squat..so w.e...

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 14, 2010
    To be fair, I don't have money for guns anymore unless I sell one, because I'm back in school, but prior to that, what allowed me to buy more guns/ammo than friends who made the same really came down to drinking on the weekends. I didn't spend much time in the bars buying multiple drinks a night, which saved me a ton compared to the guys that were bar-hopping every Friday and Saturday night. Apart from that it was mostly little stuff - packing your lunch instead of going out, making your own coffee instead of getting a fancy drink from Starbucks every morning, etc etc.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Jaybird, as others have said .... it has taken me OVER 30 years, to GET what I've got ..... I do not have an education ... just work 2-3 jobs, and pay my bills... buy a little at a time ... my LAST MAJOR purchase, was an AR-15, in 2004, when I was deployed, and HAD LOTS of MONEY !!!!!

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I haven't really had much disposable income since I bought my house, but like anything else, if there is a will there is a way. I buy stuff every now and then and just set money aside to do so. Sometimes it is a new gun, other times it goes to another hobby. My fiance and I keep separate finances, so if I want to buy something I can as long as the bills are paid. It's my money to do what I want with, and she has her money to do what she wants with.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Patience. I did not do too much buying until my mid-40s. By then, wages were up, debt was down and we elected a moron for President. Given those three, buying guns seemed like the right thing to do. I bought cars, but they just rusted and depreciated. I thought about electronics, but they are worthless within the first 6 months. Fun yes, but they hold as much value as a politician promises.

Guns though? There's nothing but good in buying a nice gun, knowing you can either keep it and pass it on to your heirs or sell it for what you have into it and try something else. Keep your collection small and within a family budget until you get life's priorities out of the way. Then, enjoy yourself to whatever extend you can afford.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    When I get the itch for something new I become a male prostitute.....jk. I worked a 2nd job for 7 years and 10% went into a stock account and 30% went into my spending account. Guns, stuff around the house, whatever. I need to get a 2nd job again. Couple things I want and can't afford right now. :(

manygunsmike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Cedar Lake Indiana
    I bet the average member buys one or two guns a year.

How about an average from when someone started buying guns to today like I bought my first gun when I was 20 yrs old Im 40 now and I have XXX number of guns divided by the number of years collecting equals average number of guns bought per year??

manygunsmike

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I make my kids eat a lot of FRANKS AND BEANS so I can afford my habit.:D

FTFY :laugh:

images

I'm filthy rich, I cheat on my taxes, I don't share my money with anyone, I'm a greedy profiteer, I make my money off the backs of the poor and downtrodden. You know...all that kind of stuff.

Oh so your a politician.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Ok, so now I dont feel so bad. I save, and dont go out to eat a lot, and dont spend at bars, so ya that saves quite a bit.

SSGSAD, it just seemed that I was the only one taking forever to buy something, now I see that I`m not the only scrimper and saver here. Misery loves company. :)

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I haven't bought a gun in over year. (I know, big dry spell.)

I'm on my way to paying off my 15 year mortgage in 5 - 5.5 years.

It will be nice there-after. (Well, except for the property tax/thieves.)

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    As said by several above, it depends on your 'station' in life (career, family, etc.). We've been married 36 years, and for the first 32 or so, had 3 shotguns (2 were mine & she had her own; all before we got married). Over the last 4 years, we've purchased about 18, plus received some in inheritance. But, we are in a position to do so at this time (finally). Also, our kids know that if they want any inheritance, they will have to sell the house & the guns (& the ham radio gear). -- Greg/Grizhicks

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I for one quit smoking... that saved me close to $300 a month. :yesway: Also was fortunate enough to get a good education and a decent paying job (took me until I was 35, but better late than never!). :dunno: Still can't afford as many as I'd like! :):

How did you do it? I've been trying to quit for several months now...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't buy any more. Don't take any offered by smoking friends.
    Yeah, it's easier said than done, but the bottom line is it can be done.
    You have to have enough will-power to say "no" coupled with enough love of your life and loved ones to make it matter.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville

I'm not trying to sound crass, but I did it by quitting smoking. The fastest way is to just stop. Don't "wean" yourself by having a few every day...that isn't quitting.

Tell yourself you're a non-smoker. Wash all your clothes so you don't smell it. If you smoked in your house, go ballistic and clean everything. When you freak out and really want a cigarette, do 50 pushups instead.

Once I quit, I developed a severe allergy to cigarette smoke, so it was really easy for me to avoid. After about 2 years, the allergy went away, and I can be around smokers now. I never once want to smoke one, though. I don't miss it at all.

Good luck! It's a good feeling to kick that habit!

Top Bottom