• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From my perspective, this is representative of Islam operating without adequate external pressure to contain it.

Please do not confuse culture with the religion of Islam.

Much of what is decried as "Islam" on say Fox News, is actually the cultural practices of where Islam was adopted.

Think of separate railroad tracks:

►culture, independent of religion

►Islam, Qurun and Hadith

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Hopefully I will have time to pursue this.

How do you deal with things like Tripoli and Tunis capturing our merchant mariners and doing things like running them through with hooks and hanging them over the city walls? Please understand that my goal is a broadened perspective rather than dumping an incendiary question in your lap. From my perspective, this is representative of Islam operating without adequate external pressure to contain it.

Pirates be pirating. Do you suppose pirates are motivated by religion or by economics? Are non-Islamic pirates known for kindness and fair play?

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    We most assuredly do.

If you're saying that Kirkaria is where the mainstream Muslims step up to eliminate extremism in Islam, okay. I'm on board with that. But realistically, it is not going to come from a nation of politically correct outsiders where people are afraid to report suspicious activity because they don't want to be seen as profiling.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pirates be pirating. Do you suppose pirates are motivated by religion or by economics? Are non-Islamic pirates known for kindness and fair place?

I would say that this is a matter of what they feel allowed to do rather than compelled to do, but my biggest concern is that it was done with the full participation of the local government which, while ostensibly part of the Ottoman Empire, was largely self-sufficient.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hopefully I will have time to pursue this.

How do you deal with things like Tripoli and Tunis capturing our merchant mariners and doing things like running them through with hooks and hanging them over the city walls? Please understand that my goal is a broadened perspective rather than dumping an incendiary question in your lap. From my perspective, this is representative of Islam operating without adequate external pressure to contain it.

Dave, would you then hold Squassation and Strappado to be 'representative' of Catholicism?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I would say that this is a matter of what they feel allowed to do rather than compelled to do, but my biggest concern is that it was done with the full participation of the local government which, while ostensibly part of the Ottoman Empire, was largely self-sufficient.

So, privateering? Have you compared it to contemporary privateering? I'm no expert, but murder and slavery were pretty prevalent among state sponsored pirates of all stripes.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    OK, so the ComBloc collapsed, but now the very same thing is taking root here and getting stronger every day, just as Khrushchev promised us decades ago, and just as Joe McCarthy warned us was happening, only to be demonized in spite of there being clear evidence that he was correct, much like what we see in today's atmosphere of 'political correctness'.

What McCarthy did was admirable?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Really? Ok, cool, then a Woodruff Manifesto 2.0 is no big deal then!

Sure. If your goal is to tick off people who weren't previously ticked off, plat into a major narrative for the recruitment of terrorist groups, while simultaneously alienating allies and making it harder for moderates to reach out to de- radicalize without being dismissed as pawns of the West, its a great move.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What McCarthy did was admirable?

He told us the truth that certain domestic enemies didn't want to hear and managed to silence, and now the country is in the sh*tter because of it. Tell me again what is wrong with telling the truth, especially when the hard evidence that it was truth existed at the time and was deliberately kept secret and NOT acted upon.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If your goal is to tick off people who weren't previously ticked off, plat into a major narrative for the recruitment of terrorist groups, while simultaneously alienating allies and making it harder for moderates to reach out to de- radicalize without being dismissed as pawns of the West, its a great move.

Renouncing violence always angers the reasonable.

I remember all the backlash when we stopped sati. It was exactly as you said.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    As I see it the closest analogy to terrorists from Islamic extremism that we had domestically was the Ku Klux Klan.

With the Klan you had thousands of extremists hiding within a population of millions who either sympathized and/or were indifferent to the Klans activities.

100% of the Klan membership identified as Christian. So did the vast majority of the southern population.

The Klan was brought down by a multi-faceted approach that was comprised of education, economic attacks, building sympathy for the victims, and law enforcement. To this day the Klan still exists, but it has been marginalized from the height of its strength 100 years ago. As far as its previous membership I am certain that the majority were not the die-hard extremists willing to kill, but rather somewhere between being a strong supporter and extremism.

While I think these tools can be altered to fit the new assignment of combating religious extremism, they will take time. I believe that the core issue with this approach is that it is a hard sell to Americans. We have become a "we want it NOW" culture, with everything from online ordering and next day delivery to drive-through coffee. The idea of using education, systemic reform from within and without, and other tools that may take years or decades to come to fruition will be resisted by those who vote.

In the end I believe radical religious extremism will be eradicated. Regrettably, many people of all faiths will die before this time arrives.

Regards,

Doug

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The whole notion that religion is inflexible and cannot change is simply ahistorical. We have changed plenty of religions. The solution does not require bombs or bullets, but merely requires an awareness of the problem and a focus on eliminating violent jihad from Islam.

Why is a renouncing violence a problem for anyone?

Top Bottom