Not open for further replies.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    WTH do eggs and a bunny have to do with Jesus's death?:dunno:
    Answer me that religious scholars.

Nothing whatsoever. They are a holdover from pagans converted to Christianity. This is why our family does not do Easter Egg hunts, Easter bunny, or any of that stuff. I personally do not feel it has a thing to do with what Easter is about. I'm in the minority even among Christians, but I'm comfortable with my stance in this case.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Nothing whatsoever. They are a holdover from pagans converted to Christianity. This is why our family does not do Easter Egg hunts, Easter bunny, or any of that stuff. I personally do not feel it has a thing to do with what Easter is about. I'm in the minority even among Christians, but I'm comfortable with my stance in this case.

Really? :wow: I guess all those little kids are pagans. I'll be sure to call my little 6 year old cousin a devil worshiper!

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    One thing I think is kinda funny is how the religious members will jump right in and throw their opinions around, but many of the ones who aren't religious will let me stand on my own.

They're afraid to back you. Gun owners do not have a national reputation for being an open-minded samplers of opinion and conversation, and they are well known for being Protestant Christian, with all doctrinal conformity required by such denominations. Mobs lash out strongly at those who dissent, and the mob sees strength and safety in monolithic uniformity of thought. Those in the mob cannot afford to admit the possibility that the foundation for their entire lives, and the lives of their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents was also a lie. If that belief system is removed, the person faces a daunting abyss in contemplating a replacement moral structure. Far easier to silence the thinker and pretend that the discussion never occurred.

Remember, the same mob that killed Jesus for suggesting a different path will kill the next person who comes along suggesting that there's a path besides Jesus'. Ironic, isn't it?

Epistemologically speaking, the more core a belief, the more difficult it is to dislodge it and the stronger a person will resist its review.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    They're afraid to back you. Gun owners do not have a national reputation for being an open-minded samplers of opinion and conversation, and they are well known for being Protestant Christian, with all doctrinal conformity required by such denominations. Mobs lash out strongly at those who dissent, and the mob sees strength and safety in monolithic uniformity of thought. Those in the mob cannot afford to admit the possibility that the foundation for their entire lives, and the lives of their parents, grandparents and great-grandparents was also a lie. If that belief system is removed, the person faces a daunting abyss in contemplating a replacement moral structure. Far easier to silence the thinker and pretend that the discussion never occurred.

Remember, the same mob that killed Jesus for suggesting a different path will kill the next person who comes along suggesting that there's a path besides Jesus'. Ironic, isn't it?

Epistemologically speaking, the more core a belief, the more difficult it is to dislodge it and the stronger a person will resist its review.

:yesway: Rep'd!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Really? :wow: I guess all those little kids are pagans. I'll be sure to call my little 6 year old cousin a devil worshiper!

What you call your cousin is between you, and your family.

A question was asked, and answered. If you are grown up enough, perhaps you'd care to try doing the same.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    What you call your cousin is between you, and your family.

A question was asked, and answered. If you are grown up enough, perhaps you'd care to try doing the same.

Are you kidding? Why would I call a little kid a Pagan? Get of this little self righteous Kick you are on buddy. Maybe I should have made those letters purple so you would understand the sarcasm. :dunno:

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Just curious, how does one die to remove another's sins? Just how does that linkage operate? Can I cook some burgers to save people from sins? What does dying have to do with sin, anyway? Why does God need to send someone to save the world from himself? Can't God just divide out the messenger and not create a situation by which people need saving?

Why can people not look at Easter as what it is: a really strong and scary story that religious fanatics lash out violently and murderously at anyone who opposes them? Jesus offered a different path of decency, tolerance, compassion and peace, only to see his followers become the same people that needed changing, 2,000 years ago.

Jesus would have been awesome to hang around. Christians, not so much.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009

Huh? Pagans celebrate the Earth, Sun, and Moon. They didn't hide eggs from each other.
    They probably did sacrifice some bunnies, though.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Are you kidding? Why would I call a little kid a Pagan? Get of this little self righteous Kick you are on buddy. Maybe I should have made those letters purple so you would understand the sarcasm. :dunno:

Reckon that answers the "grown up enough" part.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    how about 300 baud? That was before crickets.

The "phone cradle" 300 baud? lol Start download before dinner, check it in the morning after you wake up :D

You know, after my episode with RedneckMedic, (my fault) I came to terms with the constant barrage of religious overtones, as it is yours, and their right to speak of it. But, since it is Easter weekend, and the thought of some massive stone being rolled away, and a dude walking away from being dead, sort of put me in the mood for a debate. I feel we should be allowed to curse if folks are allowed to consistently post about a mythological being, and chanting to the air for help.

Thank God for Cadbury and Reeces Eggs.

So you admit you wanted a debate:cool:

I still don't see a comparison between the two subjects. As previously posted here, it is not only the religious that find "curse words" offensive. If it were, your comparison would make more sense. Just sayin...

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Just curious, how does one die to remove another's sins? Just how does that linkage operate? Can I cook some burgers to save people from sins? What does dying have to do with sin, anyway? Why does God need to send someone to save the world from himself? Can't God just divide out the messenger and not create a situation by which people need saving?

Why can people not look at Easter as what it is: a really strong and scary story that religious fanatics lash out violently and murderously at anyone who opposes them? Jesus offered a different path of decency, tolerance, compassion and peace, only to see his followers become the same people that needed changing, 2,000 years ago.

Wow,,, you sound like a good ACLU guy.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I would hazard a guess that more parents would be offended by their children reading swear words, (or seeing nudity in the Girls and Guns thread), etc, than they would by their children reading a Prayer Chain thread. Oh the HORROR! :rolleyes:

Depends on the parent. A dad who lets his kid read Hunter S. Thompson and Hustler will give him a colorful vocabulary, a critical and open mind and will demystify the opposite sex. Having a kid read a lot of "God Bless Our Troops in Battle" war chants may cause Junior to think it's a good idea to run off to a a foreign war where dad may end up with a body bag and a flag.

You pick which course is more "family friendly."

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Wow,,, you sound like a good ACLU guy.

I have a card in my wallet, thank you. I really take this freedom stuff seriously.

I will advocate taking the Ten Commandments out of a government building while wearing a 1911 on my hip. The ACLU gets some things wrong, and gun owners get some things wrong. If both sides could get together, we'd really have a strong freedom movement.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Joe,

Actually, Easter eggs are Christian in nature, despite the Pagan origins of Easter (Eostre, the Germanic Goddess of Spring, Fertility and Renewal).

Eggs symbolize birth and/or new life in many cultures. The first recorded instance of coloring "Easter eggs" was a Christianized North African tribe. Later, in history... Since many Christians abstained from the eating of meat during Lent, Easter was the first chance to enjoy eggs(and meat) after the Lenten Season.

Egg rolling contests actually started as a tribute to the "rolling away of the stone".

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Reckon that answers the "grown up enough" part.

:facepalm: I'm plenty grown up enough. I have a vehicle thats paid off, I pay my bills every month, And I enjoy my life as much as possible. If I wasn't unemployed ATM I would own a house too. Maybe you should worry about you and not worry about me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I'll be sure to avoid any future INGO events you are attending, wouldn't want to offend you :D

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Joe,

Actually, Easter eggs are Christian in nature, despite the Pagan origins of Easter (Eostre, the Germanic Goddess of Spring, Fertility and Renewal).

Eggs symbolize birth and/or new life in many cultures. The first recorded instance of coloring "Easter eggs" was a Christianized North African tribe. Later, in history... Since many Christians abstained from the eating of meat during Lent, Easter was the first chance to enjoy eggs(and meat) after the Lenten Season.

Egg rolling contests actually started as a tribute to the "rolling away of the stone".
    But Rabbits don't lay eggs..........

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom