• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No real sure how nudity became involved in this topic, but while you throw it out there, allow me to opine my suggestion for a sub-forum for Site Supporters that has more lax rules. It would be like a "Pub" atmosphere. Those who are offended don't have to visit, and those who like to participate in some healthy debauchery, can have a place to do so. I could be password protected so the kiddies can't come in.

Because that is another rule here that people complain about. :D

As for your suggestion, If I recall correctly, it has been brought up before, and shot down by Fenway.

Personally, I think if the word ends up censored, or is self censored, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. People hear and see censored words all the time, even on G Rated forums, radio stations, TV, etc. I have even heard songs with suggestive lyrics on Radio Disney, they just bleep out the suggestive part.

However, as previously stated by myself, and others... It isn't really up to us. It's Fenway's place, we are guests here. Just like anywhere else in real life, or on the Internet:

You have to play by the House Rules...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    But bashing religion was not the intent of the OP. It was the allowance of swearing.

People say they are offended by the use of profanity. I am offended by the constant barrage of religious overtones.

I guarantee there are as many people on this forum who curse, as who are bible thumpers.

How can one be offended, by something one does not believe in? Would you be just as offended by threads on Santa Clause, or the Easter Bunny?

I assume that you would see God, and the above mentioned entities, all as made up, so why be offended by talk of one, and not the other? :dunno:

(Oh, and for the record? I am a "believer" but frankly I could not care less if you curse like a sailor. Words is just words :D )

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think it has been stated directly and indirectly already in this thread, and in others.

The "F-bomb" and other colorful language are more or less universally accepted as cursewords, badwords, you name it, in just about every language, regardless of religion or not. They are considered to be foul language as they are the top tier of personal insults to another human being.

You take a poll of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, and maybe even Satanist or Wickens and you'll find that they would likely agree that such words are not acceptable in general public speech, especially in a family setting.

I will admit, I do get a little warm under the collar when I see someone post something as blatently disrespectful as you did in your other post (writing the statement over and over), but do respect that is your right granted to you in the First Ammendment. But remember, the same right that lets you do that, also lets me talk about my God in an open way without fear of persecution for it.

Of course, each will differ regarding the validity of religion, and argue that too. But that arguement is like arguing which is better, Glock, XD, of a 1911. In each of their own minds they are right, and it usually takes a significant experience to get someone to change their mind.

But arguing if foul language is appropriate is about like trying to argue that a High-Point or a Jennings is every bit as well built as a Kimber Custom or Wilson Combat.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think it has been stated directly and indirectly already in this thread, and in others.

The "F-bomb" and other colorful language are more or less universally accepted as cursewords, badwords, you name it, in just about every language, regardless of religion or not. They are considered to be foul language as they are the top tier of personal insults to another human being.

You take a poll of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Atheists, and maybe even Satanist or Wickens and you'll find that they would likely agree that such words are not acceptable in general public speech, especially in a family setting.

I will admit, I do get a little warm under the collar when I see someone post something as blatently disrespectful as you did in your other post (writing the statement over and over), but do respect that is your right granted to you in the First Ammendment. But remember, the same right that lets you do that, also lets me talk about my God in an open way without fear of persecution for it.

Of course, each will differ regarding the validity of religion, and argue that too. But that arguement is like arguing which is better, Glock, XD, of a 1911. In each of their own minds they are right, and it usually takes a significant experience to get someone to change their mind.

But arguing if foul language is appropriate is about like trying to argue that a High-Point or a Jennings is every bit as well built as a Kimber Custom or Wilson Combat.

Well said.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Because that is another rule here that people complain about. :D

As for your suggestion, If I recall correctly, it has been brought up before, and shot down by Fenway.

Personally, I think if the word ends up censored, or is self censored, then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. People hear and see censored words all the time, even on G Rated forums, radio stations, TV, etc. I have even heard songs with suggestive lyrics on Radio Disney, they just bleep out the suggestive part.

However, as previously stated by myself, and others... It isn't really up to us. It's Fenway's place, we are guests here. Just like anywhere else in real life, or on the Internet:

You have to play by the House Rules...
    You sound as if you are studying the Mod Exam. LOL

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    But bashing religion was not the intent of the OP. snip.

Of course it was. And not the only example of your bigotry on this board.

If you are going to take a stand for, or against, something, man up and take it. Being misleading about what you are doing merely makes you seem weak, and dishonest.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    One thing I think is kinda funny is how the religious members will jump right in and throw their opinions around, but many of the ones who aren't religious will let me stand on my own.

Cuss like a sailor 360 its fine by me! :D I don't understand it, They are just WORDS People. Freedom of speech lets us say those WORDS. If you don't like it...........tough cookies! :patriot:

Happy Easter Baby Jesus!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    :laugh::lol2::laugh:

Nah, just been online for a LONG time. Pre internet...so I have seen this discussion many many times :D
    I have been online since at LEAST the first days of Compuserve and Telenet. Like 1983 or something?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Of course it was. And not the only example of your bigotry on this board.

If you are going to take a stand for, or against, something, man up and take it. Being misleading about what you are doing merely makes you seem weak, and dishonest.
    ...and back to the Ignore list you go.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have been online since at LEAST the first days of Compuserve and Telenet. Like 1983 or something?

Ah, a fellow old school BBSer like myself eh? I was on all the local Indy BBS's back in the day.

Shh, we are showing our age, lol.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Ah, a fellow old school BBSer like myself eh? I was on all the local Indy BBS's back in the day.

Shh, we are showing our age, lol.
    Yeah, when someone tries to school me on netiquette, I tend to chuckle. Especially when they weren't even born when I was dialing up. :D

tnek

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Not trying to fling turds here, but if so many people can constantly talk about their God, why can't I swear? I'm serious.

You should be able to but I will say your avitar is in poor taste.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Back on subject though, why are you offended by "religious" posts? As I said previously, if you think God, Jesus, etc are as fictional as the Easter Bunny, are you offended by Easter Bunny threads?

Cuss all you want, I don't care. I just wish your attitude about religious discussions was the same... :D

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Just say "2600 baud modem" and listen for the crickets, lol.
    how about 300 baud? That was before crickets.

Back on subject though, why are you offended by "religious" posts? As I said previously, if you think God, Jesus, etc are as fictional as the Easter Bunny, are you offended by Easter Bunny threads?

Cuss all you want, I don't care. I just wish your attitude about religious discussions was the same... :D

You know, after my episode with RedneckMedic, (my fault) I came to terms with the constant barrage of religious overtones, as it is yours, and their right to speak of it. But, since it is Easter weekend, and the thought of some massive stone being rolled away, and a dude walking away from being dead, sort of put me in the mood for a debate. I feel we should be allowed to curse if folks are allowed to consistently post about a mythological being, and chanting to the air for help.

Thank God for Cadbury and Reeces Eggs.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    WTH do eggs and a bunny have to do with Jesus's death?:dunno:
    Answer me that religious scholars.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom