• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Trump is riding the "revolution against the status quo" which is playing out now in the UK, it's really his strongest card in the election. Bringing fed up people out to vote against established leadership worked for him in the primaries and he'll probably stay on that message into the general election. Making hilly out to be the poster child of corrupt, obtuse, leadership isn't much of a stretch.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So. I gave credit to Trump upthread for a good policy. Now, I see he kinda messed up something rather big.

_90083850_mediaitem90083849.jpg

He's in Scotland. A country. Part of the UK. Which is also a country. Yes, this can be tricky. Even for a smart American businessman.

He tweeted that Scotland voted to take their country back, in the Brexit. Except they didn't. Scotland didn't. Scotland voted to remain in the EU. So, they will probably have a future vote, in which they take their country back out of England, and go back to the EU.

Trump doesn't understand.

You are using country in two different ways in your post which points to a possibility that the word country has multiple definitions.

Tweets don't allow much room for nuance.

He used a pronoun which could also mean a multitude of countries voted to take their country back.

I think I will reserve judgement.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You are using country in two different ways in your post which points to a possibility that the word country has multiple definitions.
    Heck, I'll even concede that fact. :)

Tweets don't allow much room for nuance.

He used a pronoun which could also mean a multitude of countries voted to take their country back.
    But even using that approach - "they" as in Scotland didn't vote to take their country back. This wasn't the secession vote. And, even if he was talking about Scotland's vote in Brexit referendum, "they" didn't vote to take their country back. "They" voted to remain.

It doesn't require nuance to at least get the facts straight. Heck, "UK" uses 2 fewer characters than "they" and would've been clearer.

I think I will reserve judgement.
    Ok. But this is INGO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kut's statement doesn't make any sense. England was part of the European Union. Texas leaving our union would be the same. It isn't a bad comparison at all. Texas was even an independent nation at one point before voluntarily joining the US. The main difference is that, unlike the EU, the US Constitution doesn't have an explicit provision for leaving peacefully and the US has a history of extreme violence against states that do try to leave.

The European Union isn't a sovereign nation. It is a union of sovereign nations agreeing to common terms. The world recognizes the UK as a sovereign nation. The EU is just a collection of sovereign nations bound by agreement to common goals, interests, and rules. Member nations did not relinquish their sovereignty, at least not all of it. The relationship of member nations to the EU is closer to UN member nations is to the UN, than Texas to the United States.

The United states is a sovereign nation, but no one recognizes Texas as a sovereign nation.

So I think Kut's right to say it's not a very good comparison.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Heck, I'll even concede that fact. :)

But even using that approach - "they" as in Scotland didn't vote to take their country back. This wasn't the secession vote. And, even if he was talking about Scotland's vote in Brexit referendum, "they" didn't vote to take their country back. "They" voted to remain.

It doesn't require nuance to at least get the facts straight. Heck, "UK" uses 2 fewer characters than "they" and would've been clearer.

Ok. But this is INGO.

I will make a stronger case. Trump is using correct English applying a plural pronoun to a multiple of countries. You, sir, are attempting to apply a plural pronoun to a singular country which leaves me to question if your post concerning this matter is neutral or agenda driven?

I should have been a defense attorney!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I will make a stronger case. Trump is using correct English applying a plural pronoun to a multiple of countries. You, sir, are attempting to apply a plural pronoun to a singular country which leaves me to question if your post concerning this matter is neutral or agenda driven?

I should have been a defense attorney!
    Or a grammarian. :)

But you'd still be wrong. What "they" references should be clear from context. The only identifiable entity prior to "they" is Scotland. Arrived in Scotland... Place going wild... they took country back.

The third identifier - pronoun "they" - can only be referencing Scotland in the context of that tweet, if we want to go full grammar nazi. Now where did I leave my golf ball... :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've always viewed the EU as a half-assed attempt by Europe to compete on the same scale as the economies of the U.S., later, China.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Or a grammarian. :)

But you'd still be wrong. What "they" references should be clear from context. The only identifiable entity prior to "they" is Scotland. Arrived in Scotland... Place going wild... they took country back.

The third identifier - pronoun "they" - can only be referencing Scotland in the context of that tweet, if we want to go full grammar nazi. Now where did I leave my golf ball... :D
    I already knew I was probably wrong but all I need is reasonable doubt. I find you to be unreasonable: )

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The relationship of Scotland to the UK is a bit strange for people used to thinking of how, say, Indiana is related to the United States.

Trump was probably just plain wrong.

He's never been known for his geography knowledge, and it's a mistake a lot of people would make.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I've always viewed the EU as a half-assed attempt by Europe to compete on the same scale as the economies of the U.S., later, China.

I think stopping at a common market would have been ok. It seems there was more to the agenda.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I already knew I was probably wrong but all I need is reasonable doubt. I find you to be unreasonable: )

Ok - that line forms to the left, and winds down the hallway back to Kirk's firearm safety training room. Which, by the way, is almost always empty. Except for him.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember all the Scotland secession discussions we had here? I wonder how the Scotland secession INGOers will feel about a Scotland that secedes to join the EU.

Stop ruining my triple cross!

Oh, how I long for Scotland to vote for the EU (yet again). I can hear the melting of Paulian brains all over the Internet. They will have to burn their copies of Braveheart and Pallas!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Stop ruining my triple cross!

Oh, how I long for Scotland to vote for the EU (yet again). I can hear the melting of Paulian brains all over the Internet. They will have to burn their copies of Braveheart and Pallas!

Careful now, that's my family you're talking about....we have a clan meeting very soon.

i wish I had a tactical kilt

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The relationship of Scotland to the UK is a bit strange for people used to thinking of how, say, Indiana is related to the United States.

Trump was probably just plain wrong.

He's never been known for his geography knowledge, and it's a mistake a lot of people would make.

All I know is that the 58 states that we have over here make us the best country on the planet.

Top Bottom