• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, it would appear that at least this has gotten gun control out of the spotlight for now. I wonder how many libs are reading the various "sky is falling" reports and thinking that maybe they should buy a gun?

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    iiBJAYd.png

Hmmm, that could be the one thing that would make me seriously consider leaving Indiana.:popcorn:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's a horrible comparison. Texas is as part of the Union, is in no way comparable to the UK as part of the EU.

Okay. I'm finding myself agreeing with kut way more than is normal. Who hacked Kut's account? Who's posting as Kut? CM? That you?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The problem is, there isn't a GOOD comparison to put it in terms Americans would relate to. I think the Texas one is ok, to give a sense of what it would be like. Of course, it doesn't capture the shared history or the real relationship of nations within the EU - they aren't part of the same country.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    America was designed to be separate country's (states) and any of them could secede at any time. Texas is a perfect example. It is part of the United States just as Britain is part of the united Europe or as its called European Union. The right to secede at anytime was a founding principle and included in many of the original state constitutions when they joined the United States. It was the ultimate block on big government.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That's a horrible comparison. Texas is as part of the Union, is in no way comparable to the UK as part of the EU.

Okay. I'm finding myself agreeing with kut way more than is normal. Who hacked Kut's account? Who's posting as Kut? CM? That you?

Kut's statement doesn't make any sense. England was part of the European Union. Texas leaving our union would be the same. It isn't a bad comparison at all. Texas was even an independent nation at one point before voluntarily joining the US. The main difference is that, unlike the EU, the US Constitution doesn't have an explicit provision for leaving peacefully and the US has a history of extreme violence against states that do try to leave.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The legal relationship between England and the EU is/was fundamentally different than Texas to the US. Plus, there's the history. Been a long time since Texas waged war against another state.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I may be the only one...but I am quite humored to think of some "wise" Bible teachers who are caught up in End Time Prophecy teaching...This does not fit into their pattern of thinking.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So. I gave credit to Trump upthread for a good policy. Now, I see he kinda messed up something rather big.

_90083850_mediaitem90083849.jpg

He's in Scotland. A country. Part of the UK. Which is also a country. Yes, this can be tricky. Even for a smart American businessman.

He tweeted that Scotland voted to take their country back, in the Brexit. Except they didn't. Scotland didn't. Scotland voted to remain in the EU. So, they will probably have a future vote, in which they take their country back out of England, and go back to the EU.

Trump doesn't understand.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Kut's statement doesn't make any sense. England was part of the European Union. Texas leaving our union would be the same. It isn't a bad comparison at all. Texas was even an independent nation at one point before voluntarily joining the US. The main difference is that, unlike the EU, the US Constitution doesn't have an explicit provision for leaving peacefully and the US has a history of extreme violence against states that do try to leave.

Texas leaving the US is not remotely comparable to the UK leaving the EU. The states of the US are one nation. The EU is not. England, France, Germany, etc. all have their unique languages, histories and culture. They are different, sovereign nations. Texas is just a giant Kentucky with hotter weather and funny hats. :):

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    So. I gave credit to Trump upthread for a good policy. Now, I see he kinda messed up something rather big.

He's in Scotland. A country. Part of the UK. Which is also a country. Yes, this can be tricky. Even for a smart American businessman.

He tweeted that Scotland voted to take their country back, in the Brexit. Except they didn't. Scotland didn't. Scotland voted to remain in the EU. So, they will probably have a future vote, in which they take their country back out of England, and go back to the EU.

Well, yeah, see, they are taking their country back. It's their country, not Englands. Nuff said.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN

You're mistaken; seeing only what's right in front of your nose. Trump's thinking and commentary is five steps ahead... he's that smart. He's the Garry Kasparov of International Studies.
    /purple where needed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, yeah, see, they are taking their country back. It's their country, not Englands. Nuff said.

But... you are talking about Scotland, right? Scotland didn't vote to take their country back. In fact, last time, they voted NOT to take their country back. In 2014, they voted by a healthy margin to not be independent. In this vote, they overwhelmingly voted for the UK to stay in the EU. They did not vote to take their country back.

Trump got some fundamental facts wrong in that tweet. And, I am unsure if he understands why.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    But... you are talking about Scotland, right? Scotland didn't vote to take their country back. In fact, last time, they voted NOT to take their country back. In 2014, they voted by a healthy margin to not be independent. In this vote, they overwhelmingly voted for the UK to stay in the EU. They did not vote to take their country back.

Trump got some fundamental facts wrong in that tweet. And, I am unsure if he understands why.

Yes, but if England leaves, by default, they get their country back... from England....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes, but if England leaves, by default, they get their country back... from England....

No, not by default. There must be a referendum. The odds are good that they'll go independent, but it is not a done deal. And, it won't be because of how Scots voted in the Brexit referendum.

Trump's tweet (and frankly, his comments during his visit on the golf course) make it sound like he doesn't understand the relationship between Scotland and Britain. He used past tense "took" their country back. They just didn't.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I may be the only one...but I am quite humored to think of some "wise" Bible teachers who are caught up in End Time Prophecy teaching...This does not fit into their pattern of thinking.

It kinda does, depending. We've got to do some paring of the EU is it's the ten toes of mixed clay and iron....way more member states than 10 right now.

Top Bottom