• Haans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Muncie
    "It's marketing, not superior quality"

Thanks for another canned response.

How do you define "quality"? Quality like a fine burlwood dash in a luxury sedan or quality as in a John Deere tractor that plows it's fields day in and day out and never breaks down?

I think Glocks have the right type of "quality".

What parts have you seen break on a Glock?

Quality, as in it shoots straight, and doesn't break.

That sort of quality really isn't hard to come by. With occasional lemons (which include Glocks), pretty much any big-name firearm is capable of withstanding the same abuse. The "Glock stress test" is pretty much standard for any modern handgun any more. Walthers, H&Ks, Berettas, and S&Ws all pass it.

I'm not saying Glocks are not quality handguns. I'm saying they aren't superior quality to everything else.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So far I have bought all my guns because I liked them, not so much because I don't like others.
    Certainly not because I don't like one brand.
    My choices just haven't revolved around GLOCKS, sorry about that.
    Hope it doesn't make anyone feel less important or omnipotent by association.:):

Kitten!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Originally Posted by Joe Williams
    What do you think the Glock kabooms are all about?
    biggrin.gif
    IMO, a lot of reloaders who aren't following SEMI recommendations and specs. Examples: double charges, incorrect COL, wrong combinations of components etc... etc.. Then deny it, and blame the gun!

While there is some truth to the poor reloading theory, it's a copout. Glocks are more susceptible to the extra pressure because of their chamber design. They're more forgiving. A supported chamber will take care of most of those situations. Yes, I know, all guns have KBs, but poor design is a factor with glocks. That theory also doesn't explain all the KB's with factory ammo. Defective case I bet you'll say. That is basically a non-issue with other guns. I've had a couple of split cases come out of my carry gun and I didn't even know till I picked them up off the ground. I'm glad I wasn't shooting a glock.

shooter@(5)4life said:
    My G-19 has had at least 20,000 rounds fired through it and hasn't kaboomed yet! It just blew up! Are you sure about that guys?

Not a good example. The 9mm don't blow up. Not enough chamber pressure. It's usually the .40 and .45. I've only seen one confirmed case of a 9mm glock KB.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    The OP said "Combat" pistol, not LE, and if you don't know the difference I simply cannot assist you. You'll have to conduct more research. Now I will assist you with the following facts:

Nations that use the Glock as an "official" sidearm:
    -Austria
    -India
    -Jordan
    -Thailand
    -Norway
    -Philippines

Nations that use the Beretta as an "official" sidearm:
    -Algeria
    -Argentina
    -Bosnia & Herzogovinia
    -Brazil
    -Colombia
    -France
    -Italy
    -Malaysia
    -Peru
    -Poland
    -Slovenia
    -South Africa
    -Spain
    -Turkey
    -United States

Just on the surface it appears that the Beretta is more popular. I am not denying that the Glock isn't a great, simple pistol (because it is!). I am focusing on combat pistols. In the US Military, there are two major DOD contracts for pistols; Sig and Beretta. I personally have used the Beretta in many places. We have a few M-11's (Sig 228) in our vault for concealed carry, but that is rare. Everyone that I know that owns a Glock loves it, and these are people that are very good with CQB etc.

I am just glad that we live in a nation where we can pick & choose our personal sidearm! Hopefully that will last forever, because the day it stops...

WE also chose the M14 over the FAL that just proves we are capable of making bad descisons, based on many factors other then preformence.

There are MANY companies that make a good living making parts to correct the short comings of the 1911. anyone that has a Stock 1911 A1 probably doesn't leave it that way for long, at least that is what I have seen, a stock GI spec 1911 A1 almost always get new barrels, sights, trigger,s hammers, beavertails, etc. but I may just have limited experience with realife people and internet pictures.

the other thing I may have to point our is the WAlther P99AS may be the only improvement on the Glock ( at least until I get to play with a smith M&P 9mm pro series) the "decocker" is truly a handy feature. It allows you to return your trigger to the original position before putting it into the holster, for whatever reason it may not be at the "full length of Pull".
    Glock 19 size, fully supported chamber with a capable feed ramp, smooth trigger, ergo grips, lighter slide( and prettier), ambidextrious mag release, the bar type( hk style) mag release is really enjoyable if you give it an honest appraisal, All and All the P99 may be full of more win then the Glock 19 and maybe one of my next purchases, if so it will probaby replace my glock 19 for EDC. but even so the glocks and P99's are WAY better then the 1911, sig P220 (.45), XD, etc, Just drink the kool-aid and call it a day.

Tacos rule.

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I've never had a split case in any of my handguns regardless of brand. If you are getting split cases you have other issues my friend! Incorrect headspacing, bullet set back, too hot of loads, improperly sized cases etc... etc.. Now shooter to shooter please be carefull buddy! Everyone doesn't want you to get hurt including me! I really mean that too! :patriot:

It has happened twice. I blamed it on too hot of loads. Cracked is more descriptive. I didn't mean split as in split in two. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The main reason Glocks have such a corner on the Law Enforcement market are the service contracts they offer to agencies. It's marketing, not superior quality.

It is more than just this. For starters, I was told in an IPD citizens academy (this was years ago), that IPD went to Glock because of the one officer who was shot in the head (injury wasn't that bad) and his Beretta failed. I believe it was at a VP. They showed us the video and for whatever reason, the Beretta would fire, eject the round, load the next round, but something prevented it from firing unless the slide was pulled back and a new round chambered. You see on the video the officer constantly racking the slide. I have heard from other officers that they want the same, constant trigger pull. More and more people coming into LE were not into guns. They don't have the much experience, so it is easier to give them a gun where the shot is the exact same _all the time_. No double action first shot, followed by single action. Another thing was the easier breakdown/cleaning. A field strip compared to a complete take down. I don't recall them making Glocks in Mexico or some other slave labor country. I am sure they have to pay some decent wages in Austria. As such, why is it that Glocks can provide all this service but no one else can and/or will? I just can't see Glocks being that much cheaper than the other plastic bottom, metal top guns. All I can say is that Glock has a good weapon. There are bad runs, just like with other gun makers. You hear problems with Glocks more often only because they are used more than others. As far as the Glocks blowing up, I have never heard of any Glock outside of a G22 with a _history_ of blowing up. Maybe it is the G22, maybe the ammo, maybe just a problem production run.

Top Bottom