• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock Lover

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    muncie
    +1 to this. I've got 10s of thousands of rounds through the M9/92FS, and I have never had a malfunction with them. Ever. Accurate, flawlessly reliable, it has served me well from deserts to the arctic to jungles, and always works. That's why it's what is sitting on my side now.

Glocks... one worked well for me, one jammed really dependably. That is so-so performance for me. Then we get into the fact that they aren't as accurate as my Beretta, feel like crap in the hand, have a dismal safety record, and in some calibers have a distressing habit of self destructing, and I'm left wondering: "Where's the beef?"

Ok I'm going to challenge the safety record, for this reason. Take user error out of it....now what do you have. You cant say a car has a bad satefy record because 5 million people have been in accidents with it.
    You have to take a look at the weapon when used properly. Had many Glocks and used them on duty and off for years and never even had one safety problem, why because they were used properly. They don't have an external safety for a reason, and because of that if not used properly you will have problems.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ok I'm going to challenge the safety record, for this reason. Take user error out of it....now what do you have. You cant say a car has a bad satefy record because 5 million people have been in accidents with it.
    You have to take a look at the weapon when used properly. Had many Glocks and used them on duty and off for years and never even had one safety problem, why because they were used properly. They don't have an external safety for a reason, and because of that if not used properly you will have problems.

They are too easy to use improperly. You can try to put lipstick on a pig if you wish, but what you've got in a Glock is a single action gun with no safety, and it is too easy for one brain fart to be fatal. Take user error out of the equation, and there are ZERO gun accidents, but the user/gun interface is integral part of the operations, and the safety record.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    You can't talk about shortcomings if there isn't any! :dunno: Glocks Rock! :rockwoot:Oh I forgot one, everyone who doesn't own at least one hates them! :D

The only handgun besides my cheapo Phoenix P22 that had a serious breakage needing a return to the factory was......Glock 21 :laugh:. In all seriousness I'll give Glock respect as a decent pistol, just not the best. Out of 6 I have owned 3 have either broken to the point of going back to the factory or being to inconsistent to trust my life with.

Glock owners are overly sure about their product, refuse to be realistic about the limitations and shortcomings of their machine, and are often obnoxious. This makes it fun to torment them. At least, to torment the oens that haven't been blown up by their own gun...

:laugh::laugh: Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    OK WTF? This page rates a Taurus above a Glock??? I like Taurus and own a Taurus wheel gun but to rate any Taurus above a Glock, no (fill in with vulgarity) way! The rest can be debatable.

HiPoint made the list but HK did not?????? That list is laughable! :laugh:

POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    read the top please HK didnt make the list due to the price tag.

"The guns must be great shooters, reliable, good quality, and cost less than $550 USD new from a gun dealer. The $550 rule will exclude many fine 9mm pistols and competition guns."

The taurus they listed is made on the old berreta tools in brazil. It is a 92 perfect copy

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    They are too easy to use improperly. You can try to put lipstick on a pig if you wish, but what you've got in a Glock is a single action gun with no safety, and it is too easy for one brain fart to be fatal. Take user error out of the equation, and there are ZERO gun accidents, but the user/gun interface is integral part of the operations, and the safety record.

Does the grip safety on the XD really make it any different? If the either a Glock/XD/Sigma/M&P is in your hand, the gun is going to fire only when you pull the trigger.

Or did they put an actual safety on those other three guns and I missed it?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Does the grip safety on the XD really make it any different? If the either a Glock/XD/Sigma/M&P is in your hand, the gun is going to fire only when you pull the trigger.

Or did they put an actual safety on those other three guns and I missed it?

No, the grip safety doesn't, and it's a gripe I have with them, also. Cathy owned both an XD-9 Tactical and a M&P 9c, and never kept a round chambered. When I owned my Glock 19 and 23, I started off keeping rounds chambered, but as I aged I got less and less comfortable with a single action trigger and no safety. Reckon I've become less convinced of my own infallibility as I've gotten older. Yeah, the answer is to keep your finger off the trigger, and I don't recall ever having my booger picker on the trigger when I shouldn't, but that's just not good enough for me any more when a lapse of concentration lasting a fraction of a second could cost me the life of my son, as has happened to someone else. I just think a gun should have either a heavy double action pull, or a manual safety, to be safe enough for carry. And you sure as heck shouldn't have to dry fire the darn gun to clean it, as you have to do with Glocks and XDs.

Some XDs are now available with manual safeties, and so are the M&Ps. I would like to see them available at least as options on the Glocks.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    "The guns must be great shooters, reliable, good quality, and cost less than $550 USD new from a gun dealer. The $550 rule will exclude many fine 9mm pistols and competition guns."

The list is seriously flawed if it does not consider any 9mm over $550. Just because it is under $550 does not make it a great 9mm!

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    No, the grip safety doesn't, and it's a gripe I have with them, also. Cathy owned both an XD-9 Tactical and a M&P 9c, and never kept a round chambered. When I owned my Glock 19 and 23, I started off keeping rounds chambered, but as I aged I got less and less comfortable with a single action trigger and no safety. Reckon I've become less convinced of my own infallibility as I've gotten older. Yeah, the answer is to keep your finger off the trigger, and I don't recall ever having my booger picker on the trigger when I shouldn't, but that's just not good enough for me any more when a lapse of concentration lasting a fraction of a second could cost me the life of my son, as has happened to someone else. I just think a gun should have either a heavy double action pull, or a manual safety, to be safe enough for carry. And you sure as heck shouldn't have to dry fire the darn gun to clean it, as you have to do with Glocks and XDs.

Some XDs are now available with manual safeties, and so are the M&Ps. I would like to see them available at least as options on the Glocks.

+1 for this one.

Manual safeties help safeguard against stupid. I don't care how much we preach gun safety everybody is going to make at least one mistake in their life. If you research glock ND's they aren't always inexperienced shooters and most would have been prevented by the presence of a manual safety. Even just a grip safety helps. There will be no snagging the trigger when you re-holster. The GS will help if, God forbid, a child gets ahold of the gun. Guns without safeties can not be considered safe. I know what the glock guys are going to say. "Glocks have three safeties." No they don't. They have three mechanisms that prevent malfunction. If you can pull the trigger and make the gun fire there are not safeties.

My Colts are series 80 so they have the firing pin block. I wouldn't get away with calling that an actual safety. But glock guys are quick to sight those type of passive mechanisms as legitimate safeties. I would also be considered insane to carry cocked and un-locked because I have a s80 FPS. Oh, before I get the "revolvers don't have safeties" comment I will respond to it. A good revolver trigger is long, but smooth and consistent double action. Revolver triggers have to be pulled very deliberately and are very hard to snag.

Glocks are just riddled with design flaws. Comparable pistols such as XD, M&P, etc. have fixed these problems. Copycats or not they have improved on the design and made a better pistol. Glocks are acceptably accurate and reliable, but as far effective "combat" pistol there better choices.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok I can not find the post about why is Berettas are so combat affective, why more police agencies do not use them. I can say this, while I served our 92's where exposed to salt water on a daily basis. I mean drenched, not just a drop or two. Go back to station, wipe down with oil and good to go. First of all, in combat the rifle is your primary weapon. As a police officer your primary weapon is your side arm. Now besides the 1911, every combat pistol has either been DAO, or manual decoker/safety. Hence the proven Beretta. I was in the Coast Guard, so our primary weapon was indeed the Beretta. Of course we carried one in the chamber, with the hammer in DOA mode. Now in combat would you really want an XD/Glock/M&P. A weapon that does not take as much to fire? It's your secondary weapon, and you do not want it going off when you are in a combat situation. That's my :twocents:. Honestly I do not like the fell of Glocks, or how they shoot. I think the Xd is a better over all design, but that is my opinion.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

Good post, won't argue with you there.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Manual safeties help safeguard against stupid.

Glad I don't have to worry about that. In over 30 years of handling and shooting firearms of all types, I've never had an ND. Somehow, it just doesn't seem that difficult to me to:

1. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
    2. Keep the trigger guard clear when reholstering.
    3. Treat every gun as if it was loaded.

The GS will help if, God forbid, a child gets ahold of the gun. Guns without safeties can not be considered safe.

People who leave guns out where children can get them cannot be considered safe. God forbid anyone on this board is this complacent and negligent. People who leave guns where small children can access them should be thrown in jail for neglect. A gun is NEVER safe, no matter how many switches and levers you put on it. The complacency and false sense of security brought on by a manual safety can lead to disaster as surely as sloppy gun handling with any firearm, regardless of design.

Glocks are just riddled with design flaws. Comparable pistols such as XD, M&P, etc. have fixed these problems.

:rolleyes:

Guess they'll have to recall all 8,000,000 + Glocks in service, a huge portion that are carried by people who actually use their guns for a living. I'll continue to use and rely on my "flawed" pistol every day, and pray that those that are too incompetent to observe simple firearm safety rules continue to carry with empty chambers and multiple safety switches. There have been plenty of NDs with 1911's (either it won't fire, or it's got a hair SA trigger) and even revolvers. I suppose the comfortable thing to do is to blame the pistol. But as long as the discharge is not caused by mechanical failure, it is ALWAYS the fault of someone who was negligent. As I'm not a liberal, and not given to blaming inanimate objects for the actions of a human, I'll continue to take personal resposibility for my own safety instead of relying on a switch or lever to save me from myself.

The Glock will not fire if you do not pull the trigger. Period. That may not be an "idiot-proof" design....but thankfully, I'm not an idiot. :)

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I got the chance to shoot, not one, but two glocks. I think Glock 17 and a glock 20? Not sure due to being a newbie...but they were KICK AS$. And I want one...or two...or three.

Top Bottom