• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It was very kind of him to let us out rounds through his.

Speaking of yesterday, I had some fun forcing failures to occur. The 44 seems to be very sensitive to things like your grip. Limp wrist even a little and it’s easy to induce failures to feed and failures to eject. For me, if I slack on my grip at all it goes from reliable to not at all.

Some thoughts from why I learned yesterday:
    -there are some ammo that they just won’t like. It’s a 22 and that part doesn’t phase me at all.
    -if anything slows that slide down, expect a malfunction
    -it’s incredibly easy to limp wrist, doing so causing malfunctions. You can limp wrist this to the point where the slide will barely blow back.
    -some ammo runs fine through the magazines, some ammo doesn’t. For instance, I could not get Aguila Rifle Match to properly move up the magazine. It wasn’t nose diving to cause the misfeed, it simply wasn’t coming up fast enough. Rough guess, something to do with the coating on the rounds.

I know this sounds weird, but if it holds true as I get to test more the sensitivity to limp wristing may be the best part about the Glock 44. It seem currently that it won’t let you skate by with a “good enough” grip like the larger calibers will. I’m excited to continue experimenting with this lone of thought.
    The 44 is staying on my purchase list.

I have used 7 different brands of ammo that haven't blinked, so I'm happy. :rockwoot:

My present battle is to determine whether it shoots more accurately than my present "plinker," a Ruger Mark 3 that I picked up for $250.
    I sold off too many of my .22LR pistols in my quest to trim down in retirement & b/c I was having too much fun with .22 rifles.
    Even if the 44 isn't as accurate as my "plinker," I'll keep the Glock around for now just for fun.
    Maybe if I learn to shoot this lightweight "wonder" better, it will beat out the other "plinker" challengers.

I won't make it to the range this week since I have painting/plumbing projects at my son's house, so it was good timing to give up the 44 for a bit.
    At least it's not my house & I'm just the "helper" & don't have to keep long hours.

I want to get back to some .22 rifle work, and then there is that "new" Rami w/full Cajun package that is begging for a more extensive workout.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    [video=youtube_share;i_U24CICF5w]http://youtu.be/i_U24CICF5w[/video]

Thanks for posting this! :thumbsup:
    A very straightforward comparison of the Glock 44 & the Taurus TX using 2 brands of ammo.
    Makes me grateful that I have found 7 brands that work with my 44 w/o issue.
    I'm keeping a list of ammo that seems problematic from my own experience & others.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    [video=youtube_share;i_U24CICF5w]http://youtu.be/i_U24CICF5w[/video]
    Dang it, now I want a Taurus TX 22 that I don't need. The good thing is that the video made me pack up my S&W M&P .22 Compact (suppressor ready) for a trip to the range! I don't shoot it nearly enough and it isn't picky regarding ammo.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Dang it, now I want a Taurus TX 22 that I don't need. The good thing is that the video made me pack up my S&W M&P .22 Compact (suppressor ready) for a trip to the range! I don't shoot it nearly enough and it isn't picky regarding ammo.

Yeah. The TX 22 is a for sure winner. We had a couple of our resident G**** fanboys say to buy them when they first came out.

I had planned on getting one last year but got a full size M&P 22 for a steal. So far it's been awesome too. My 9 yo boy loves it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I loved my SW MP Compact .22LR.
    When I found out that SW actually made it themselves instead of farming it out like I found out so many of the manufacturers did, I had to have one.
    I think I bought mine new at Rural King for $300 about 2 yrs. ago.

Yeah. The TX 22 is a for sure winner. We had a couple of our resident G**** fanboys say to buy them when they first came out.
    I had planned on getting one last year but got a full size M&P 22 for a steal. So far it's been awesome too. My 9 yo boy loves it.

Always wanted one of the full size MP 22 to try out.
    I never bought one when I found out that SW didn't manufacture them, but I've known a couple of guys here that have had them with no complaint.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    . . .

Always wanted one of the full size MP 22 to try out.
    I never bought one when I found out that SW didn't manufacture them, but I've known a couple of guys here that have had them with no complaint.

You can see in this pic from the S&W site the Walther markings on the M&P 22:

M&P 22.jpg

And closer to being on topic - the Shoot Point Blank in Merrillville has the G44 in their rental case now (they also have the Ruger LCP in .22lr). I plan on shooting both.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    From Bud's Guns.

(GmbH means basically something similar to LLC in German)

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/72003/redirect

I thought I had heard Umarex also but I can find anything pointing that direction.

The rollmarks will tell. 3 crowns within a shield is Umarex, the stag antler is Walther.

I believe Umarex is the M&P (full size), Colt 1911, Walther P22 and HK 416D. They are branded as Walthers though.

The PPQ22 may be the only 22 that Walther actually makes.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Walther is a subsidiary of Umarex. I believe both are owned by a parent group. I am a big Walther fan but not all of their products are what I consider “Walther”.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Walther is a subsidiary of Umarex. I believe both are owned by a parent group. I am a big Walther fan but not all of their products are what I consider “Walther”.

Yep, it’s how they can be branded by Walther but not necessarily built by Walther.

We are way off topic at this point. Since we are on the tangent anyways, Umarex has its plant in Arnsburg and uses the 3 crowns in a shield as the proof mark. Walther has its plant in Ulm and uses the antler. Personally, I just prefer my Walthers to come from Ulm. The pistols produced under the Walther name in Arnsburg just haven’t felt to have the same quality to me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All this talk of brands & Umarex, is one of the reasons I was attracted to the Glock 44: made by Glock, period.
    And, I have no particular attraction for the brand b/c of a lack of a thumb safety or even a decocker, but greatly respect their reputation for a gun with fewer moving parts & noted reliability.
    I don't appreciate a manufacturer subbing out the manufacturing of a gun and putting their name on it.
    Been a few guns I have not bought and/or have not kept b/c of that.
    The good history of the parent company means nothing in those circumstances, in my mind.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So, it looks as if those who are trying to find a reason to continue to be a Glock hater, the G44 adds fuel to that fire?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So, it looks as if those who are trying to find a reason to continue to be a Glock hater, the G44 adds fuel to that fire?

Honestly, from the MAC video comparing it to the TX22, looks like it performs about the same as my M&P 22LR compact and similarly to my Advantage Arms kit.
    I had hopes of more from it, but not much more of a feeling about it than that.

A 22LR handgun being picky about ammo (bullet profile seems to be a big component of this in my experience) and having to put some care into loading magazines seems about par for the course, and not surprising to me.

I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a TX22 when the rebate was on and I saw some without the manual safety for a great price online. I was a little concerned about it being a new generation Taurus gun, but seems I should not have hesitated.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm sure Glock is regretting talking up their all .22LR ammo reliability. I believe they overestimated their ability to mass produce a very fine tuned handgun and at the same time underestimated how inconsistent mass produced rimfire ammo is.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm sure Glock is regretting talking up their all .22LR ammo reliability. I believe they overestimated their ability to mass produce a very fine tuned handgun and at the same time underestimated how inconsistent mass produced rimfire ammo is.

But a .22 is all a person needs for self defense. This isn’t Fallujah, 10 shots to the face, you guys know the drill. Reliability is the reason I never recommend .22 pistols for self defense. They simply fail to often.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    But a .22 is all a person needs for self defense. This isn’t Fallujah, 10 shots to the face, you guys know the drill. Reliability is the reason I never recommend .22 pistols for self defense. They simply fail to often.
    Could you please clarify your statement? Do you train folks to shoot for the head?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't want to speak for Vert, but I believe he was just making light of a pretty prolific ".22LR pistol for self defense" poster from a while back.

HFDowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    What tool have you used to remove the Glock 44 polymer sight? It looks like there is not enough clearance between the screw and the front of the slide when using the standard Glock sight removal.

Top Bottom