• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't want to speak for Vert, but I believe he was just making light of a pretty prolific ".22LR pistol for self defense" poster from a while back.

Sometimes sarcasm is lost in translation. I have fallen victim myself. You are correct, I was poking fun at another very old thread that we still make fun of.

What tool have you used to remove the Glock 44 polymer sight? It looks like there is not enough clearance between the screw and the front of the slide when using the standard Glock sight removal.

Glock rep did not recommend replacing the rear sights. I have not looked closely at the front sight but was led to believe it is the same as other Glocks. Will have to pop one apart and look if I get time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For what its worth, I got a 44 today. I grabed a box of 36gr federal bulk pack, and dumped 5 mags. I had 1 fail to fire. I looked at the rim, and it appeared to be a good solid strike, so I reloaded the same round, and it shot fine. Since it shot the second time, I would attribute that to ammo.

This is in no way a conclusive test, but its info.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For what its worth, I got a 44 today. I grabed a box of 36gr federal bulk pack, and dumped 5 mags. I had 1 fail to fire. I looked at the rim, and it appeared to be a good solid strike, so I reloaded the same round, and it shot fine. Since it shot the second time, I would attribute that to ammo.

This is in no way a conclusive test, but its info.

There are similar reports over on GT. It seems like more positive reports are coming in at this point, but it may just be my perception as well.

Maybe something was off with that first batch that hit the streets?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There are similar reports over on GT. It seems like more positive reports are coming in at this point, but it may just be my perception as well.

Maybe something was off with that first batch that hit the streets?

Mine was out of the first batch, Its been at my ffl's for a few weeks, but with this being my travel season I haven't made it in to pickup.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of people limp wrist their pistol. Once I get a couple thousand downrange I'll have more to report.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Mine was out of the first batch, Its been at my ffl's for a few weeks, but with this being my travel season I haven't made it in to pickup.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of people limp wrist their pistol. Once I get a couple thousand downrange I'll have more to report.

I noted how easy it is to limp wrist these when I shot it the first time. I’m hoping to put a few more down range this weekend through one and play around with that concept. I’ll be curious to see what you find from shooting yours.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I asked Areoflyer to put 500 rounds through the G44 to get his thoughts, of which he obliged. :ar15:
    gmcttr got in on only a couple of mags.
    Areoflyer put an additional 485 rounds through the G44 so now 1415 rounds total, and he gave it a good cleaning.

Issues total now in 1415 rounds:
    Stovepipes x2
    total (only 1 by Areoflyer in 485 rds)
    FTEject x2 total (only 1 by Areoflyer in 485 rds)
    Failure to lock slide back after last round x1 total
    FTFire (but did 2nd time through) x13 total (not count this against gun but blaming ammo) (5 by Areoflyer in 485 rds)

Therefore: ONLY 5 failures of G44 at fault in 1415 rounds = .0035 failure rate, or less than 1% (actually less than 1/2 of 1%)
    I am not counting the FTFire or the issues using the ammo that didn't work.

325/485 rounds using Fed. Value Pack 36 gr. Hollow Points (1 FTEject).
    40/485 rounds of Fed Gold Medal = BAD AMMO NOT WORK: over half not run (FTFire or FTEject). I did not count this ammo in the failures.
    100/485 rounds of CCI SV = flawless
    10/485 rounds Aguila Rifle Match = flawless
    10/485 rounds of CI (not CCI)15' x80 rounds (2 FTFire: did 2nd time)

Target at 15' using 80 rounds (21' target looked the same)
    These are all Areoflyer, who always outshoots me even with my own favorite guns :wallbash:, so don't expect me to do this well, but it's a goal. :dunno:
    u5egUdC.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I continue to be intrigued by this gun (which is unexpected) for the following reasons:
    1. Glock (I do respect the brand but have sold the other 4 I've owned b/c I prefer CZ or others)
    2. Price (I'm cheap/thrifty, but $359 was doable)
    3. Reliability (it's proven itself to me in the field)
    4. Ease of field strip/cleaning
    5. Resale (Glocks I've owned have done better than others)
    6. Bought it new (rare for me & a delight to have a history with a gun)
    7. Rear adjustable sights (both elevation AND windage: my eyes need it)
    8. Easiest magazines to load of any gun I've ever had (I've sold guns b/c of the irritation of difficulty to load: life is too short for that sort of aggravation) :laugh:
    9. Up to 8 brands now of ammo that have none or nearly no issues. (7 brands I'll not buy b/c of issues, some very slight)

The only negative so far is the accuracy.
    I hope to improve when I get used to its utter lightness in the hand (I greatly prefer metal guns).
    I'm not old school; I'm ancient school. :laugh:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Therefore: ONLY 5 failures of G44 at fault in 1415 rounds = .0035 failure rate, or less than 1% (actually less than 1/2 of 1%)

That is far and away better than my 380 Glock 42 did with only one box of Federal 95 FMJ. Actually only a partial box as I gave up and shot the rest of it through a PPK/S with no issues.

I hope to improve when I get used to its utter lightness in the hand (I greatly prefer metal guns).

I like some weight in my guns too. Even my relatively large G34 seems so light for its size - I added a flashlight just to have the extra weight. I am hoping the gun shop over in Ohio gets a G44 for their rental inventory.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I continue to be intrigued by this gun (which is unexpected) for the following reasons:
    1. Glock (I do respect the brand but have sold the other 4 I've owned b/c I prefer CZ or others)
    2. Price (I'm cheap/thrifty, but $359 was doable)
    3. Reliability (it's proven itself to me in the field)
    4. Ease of field strip/cleaning
    5. Resale (Glocks I've owned have done better than others)
    6. Bought it new (rare for me & a delight to have a history with a gun)
    7. Rear adjustable sights (both elevation AND windage: my eyes need it)
    8. Easiest magazines to load of any gun I've ever had (I've sold guns b/c of the irritation of difficulty to load: life is too short for that sort of aggravation) :laugh:
    9. Up to 8 brands now of ammo that have none or nearly no issues. (7 brands I'll not buy b/c of issues, some very slight)

The only negative so far is the accuracy.
    I'm not old school; I'm ancient school. :laugh:
    Another drawback for some of us would be that it doesn't come suppressor ready. I've seen some videos where the Taurus TX22 and Glock 44 went head to head at 25 yards in informal accuracy testing. Seems like the Taurus has the edge there, as well, and I own neither. All that being said, I'm glad that you are having good luck with your Glock 44. Your thread did motivate me to take my S&W M&P 22 Compact to the range, which I hadn't done in a long while. I had a great time with it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That is far and away better than my 380 Glock 42 did with only one box of Federal 95 FMJ. Actually only a partial box as I gave up and shot the rest of it through a PPK/S with no issues.

I have read where the smaller the gun, the greater of issues of reliability correlating.
    I don't remember about my G42 & G43, but I have the records if Glock contacts me asking me to write an article for them.
    :lmfao:
    I have found that correlation to be the case in my limited experience, with the Sig P938 being the exception so far.
    I've sold guns that jammed, even new ones, b/c I don't have patience with flawed mechanicals (shame on brands for selling guns with known issues).
    I sell them disclosing which brands of ammo that worked & which didn't for me.
    I have been puzzled at critiques of the G44 not cycling ALL .22LR ammo. (Perhaps Glock's Marketing should have chosen their verbiage more wisely). :laugh:
    Why? .22LR ammo is problematic. Period.
    I live in the real world where even my beloved SW 41 that I have $1100 invested in, will hiccup on occasion.
    (I tried to give up swearing/cussing as a young man, but I still think the words. Still working on it.). :ugh:

I like some weight in my guns too. Even my relatively large G34 seems so light for its size - I added a flashlight just to have the extra weight. I am hoping the gun shop over in Ohio gets a G44 for their rental inventory.

I simply shoot better with a gun that weighs more: proven it over and over with different guns.
    I'm always amazed when my Beretta Tomcat .32 tip-up barrel or the Sig 938 9mm shoots as well as is does in my hand.
    Great idea about adding the light.
    If I found away to add some tire-balancing lead weights I'd probably try it. :rofl:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Another drawback for some of us would be that it doesn't come suppressor ready. I've seen some videos where the Taurus TX22 and Glock 44 went head to head at 25 yards in informal accuracy testing. Seems like the Taurus has the edge there, as well, and I own neither. All that being said, I'm glad that you are having good luck with your Glock 44. Your thread did motivate me to take my S&W M&P 22 Compact to the range, which I hadn't done in a long while. I had a great time with it!

I kept my SW MP Compact longer than I did most of my .22LR semi-autos: great plinker!
    Bought it new at Rural King for $300 about 2 yrs. ago, if memory serves

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    70 more rounds today with only 30 rounds displayed below = 1485 total.
    1 more FTFeed on 61st round today = 3 total (in 1485 rds).
    Used Remington Golden Bullets; 1400 FPS; 36 grain; HP
    G44 still shoots high for me even though I'm trying to figure out how much lower to shoot POA to get desired POI.

Range time. Top row with Glock 44, bottom row is a S/W 22A.
    Left side: 15'; Center: 21'; Right side: 30'
    Red dot: tied 11:11
    Red & white circles: S/W 22A; G44 17.
    NyvxEr3.jpg

Last edited:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Glock 44 range report. Total rounds about 700. Just ran 500 round through in about an hour. Not one FTF or FTE yet. Definitely enough to really warm the gun up. Running strings of 4 magazines, reload them, go again. So far I have been pleased with this gun. Great training tool if you do shoot Glock center fire pistols.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glock 44 range report. Total rounds about 700. Just ran 500 round through in about an hour. Not one FTF or FTE yet. Definitely enough to really warm the gun up. Running strings of 4 magazines, reload them, go again. So far I have been pleased with this gun. Great training tool if you do shoot Glock center fire pistols.

Questions. :popcorn:
    What ammo(s) did you use? :scratch:
    Stellar performance! :thumbsup:
    500 rounds and perfect: :wow:
    Definitely want to know what ammo you used. :)

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Federal 550 bulk pack copper plated 36 gr. Have not tried the Minimags yet. I do have a process that I do on every .22 I have owned using a .22 chamber iron and Dremel with jewelers rouge on the lead in to the chamber. No material removal, just smooth as glass. The factory mags have worked perfectly also.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked up a 44 yesterday and will a little help from my wife and a friends, we put 898 rounds through it today. Tested 19 brands of ammo, most of them higher quality than why most would shoot. It’s why I had on hand though and I had to go buy a bulk box of Blazer.

8 Fail to fire
    3 fail to feed
    6 fail to eject

All 8 of the fail to fire did so on a second strike, to me these are ammo issues not a gun issue.

Brand and how many ran without failing to feed or eject:
    CCI SV 50/50
    CCI Mini-mag 160/160
    Aguila Super Extra 10/10
    Federal Gold Medal 10/10
    CCI Suppressor 10/10
    Norma USA Subsonic* 4/10
    Wolf 22 10/10
    Fiocchi Official 320 10/10
    SK Flatnose (pink box) 10/10
    SK Rifle Match (red box) 8/10
    Fiocchi Performance 10/10
    Lapua Center-X 9/10
    Lapua Pistol King 10/10
    Eley Target 10/10
    CI 10/10
    Lapua Midas Plus 10/10
    SK Standard Plus 10/10
    Blazer Bulk 528/528

Total 889/898 fired without issue. If my math is right that should 98.99%.

*I expected the 44 would choke on this. It’s 950fps and seems to be just under the needed FPS to run. The CCI Suppressor runs fine at 970fps.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had the chance to run 3 mags of ammo through Turbo’s G44 and came away impressed. There is a serious fun factor in this gun. Enough so that I’ll probably add one to the family some time this year.

Top Bottom