• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    OK, doddg, I have given you crap about your posts before so I must give credit when due. This is informative! Also, further reinforces CCI ammo as a "go to" brand.

The reverse target...wow...you have reached a new level of cheap. Impressive!

:stickpoke: :):

You have your number reversed on FTfire and FTE.

I ALWAYS get my target from the trash and shoot the back side. Doddg IS known for being somewhat frugal at times:) but the range pays .25 for a target and recently raised them from $1 to $1.50. Making a reasonable profit is one thing but I draw the line at common thievery. Besides it's always easy to find a target with plenty of empty space on it:laugh: Accuracy is not a strong suit with many of the patrons.. Case in point 7 yard target, gun ZEV Glock 17..

H6qlHKI.jpg

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I ALWAYS get my target from the trash and shoot the back side. Doddg IS known for being somewhat frugal at times:) but the range pays .25 for a target and recently raised them from $1 to $1.50. Making a reasonable profit is one thing but I draw the line at common thievery. Besides it's always easy to find a target with plenty of empty space on it:laugh: Accuracy is not a strong suit with many of the patrons.. Case in point 7 yard target, gun ZEV Glock 17..
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

All true. :) My rep for "frugality" is legend.
    This hobby is the most extravagant indulgence I've ever had, even more expensive than my antique car phase.

I was shocked myself when I found out that one of the ranges I go to now after being away for a year had raised prices from $1/ea to $1.50/ea.
    They do offer a discount if you buy 5 at time, but don't remember what it is since I quit buying them.
    Another range I go to gives you 1 target when you shoot which is amazing.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

H6qlHKI.jpg

Ok. If we have to be honest here - I have two stacks of paper targets. One new and one used. Sigh. When the holes get too big to cover with stickers, it’s time to throw them out.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Range report using 12 brands of ammo with the Glock 44.

Today on the 3rd range visit with the Glock 44.
    I put 400 rounds put through it today (190 rounds in the 1st & 2nd range visit = 600 rounds total through it).

2 brands = failure to eject. (stovepipes)
    O brands = failure to feed.
    3 brands = failure to fire on first attempt, but most did 2nd time through, with 1 round taking 3 times before firing & one not firing after 2 tries.
    7/12 brands = 0 issues
    5/12 brands
    had issues.

Ammo with NO issues:
    1. CCI Mini-Mags (110 rounds, but only 10 today)
    2. CCI Standard Velocity (90 rounds, but none today)
    3. CCI Blazer .38 grain, 1235 FPS, lead round nose (40 rds.)
    4. Federal Auto Match 40 grain, 1200 FPS, solid round lead nose (40 rds.)
    5. Remington Golden Bullets (50 rounds)
    6. Armscor 36 grain, HV, copper coated Hollow Point (40 rds.) Note: Accurate
    7. Aguila Super Extra 40 grain, 1255 FPS, Copper coated solid nose (20 rds.) Note: Accurate

Ammo with Failures to Eject (8 & 9 stovepipes):
    8. Remington Thunderbolts 40 grain, 1255 FPS, lead round nose. FTE on 35/50 round. (50 rds.)
    9. Winchester M-22 40 grain, 1255 FPS, black copper plated round nose (60 rds.)
    10. Remington CBee22 33 grain, 740 FPS, copper plated hollow point (only 5 rounds shot: ALL Failed to Eject)

Failure to Fire:
    11. American Eagle 40 grain, HV, solid lead nose. FTF on 12/30 round. (30 rds.).
    12. Winchester Super X 40 grain, 1300 FPS, copper round nose. 5 rounds FTF: #6, #20, #24, #35, #43 (50 rds. total).
    All fired when I put them through the 2nd time.
    Repeat of #9. Winchester M-22 40 grain, 1255 FPS, black copper plated round nose.
    4 rounds FTF: #16, #34, #55, #58. 2 fired 2nd time through & 1 fired 3rd time but 1 did not fire after 3 times.

This was the 2nd target that I used to test ammo with today.
    It occurred to me that some might want to see the groupings.
    The first target was too cluttered with it having been used before, but I turned this one around.
    Only the "+" was being shot at, the others were the targets on the original side.
    udiCftM.jpg

Surprised you left out the federal 36gr bulk pack. That's the one that 22plinkster had trouble with.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Ammo with NO issues:
    1. CCI Mini-Mags (110 rounds, but only 10 today)
    2. CCI Standard Velocity (90 rounds, but none today)
    3. CCI Blazer .38 grain, 1235 FPS, lead round nose (40 rds.)
    4. Federal Auto Match 40 grain, 1200 FPS, solid round lead nose (40 rds.)
    5. Remington Golden Bullets (50 rounds)
    6. Armscor 36 grain, HV, copper coated Hollow Point (40 rds.) Note: Accurate
    7. Aguila Super Extra 40 grain, 1255 FPS, Copper coated solid nose (20 rds.) Note: Accurate

Good to know - some of those brands I shoot a lot of especially number 2 - CCI std. vel. Also have 1 , 3, 4 and 7 on hand as well. If I get a G44 I will have to have a "doddg shootout" - Glock 44 vs 1971 Walther PPK/S 22.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good to know - some of those brands I shoot a lot of especially number 2 - CCI std. vel. Also have 1 , 3, 4 and 7 on hand as well. If I get a G44 I will have to have a "doddg shootout" - Glock 44 vs 1971 Walther PPK/S 22.

I have a case of the Federal Auto Match, but I've not got around to using much of it yet.
    I have used the Aguila Super Extra in a couple of guns that were only to use the CCI Mini-mags to great success.
    I use the Remington Golden Bullets when I'm just plinking, and the CCI when I want accuracy,
    If the diminutive Walther PPK/S with the 3.3" barrel can shoot better than the larger Glock with its 4" barrel, then Glock needs to go back to the drawing board. :lmfao:
    I shot the PPK/S once with the possibility of buying it, but I didn't.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    If the diminutive Walther PPK/S with the 3.3" barrel can shoot better than the larger Glock with its 4" barrel, then Glock needs to go back to the drawing board. :lmfao:

The PPK/S has shot fairly well for me despite the small not so easy to see sights. The G44 with the relatively large white dot front sight should be a significant improvement. Plus the ability of the G44 to cycle standard velocity. The old PPK/S appears to be made to work reliably with high velocity.
    View attachment 83621
    This is the PPK/S at 7 and 15 yards with CCI Mini Mag.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The PPK/S has shot fairly well for me despite the small not so easy to see sights. The G44 with the relatively large white dot front sight should be a significant improvement. Plus the ability of the G44 to cycle standard velocity. The old PPK/S appears to be made to work reliably with high velocity.
    View attachment 83621
    This is the PPK/S at 7 and 15 yards with CCI Mini Mag.

I love everything small in a handgun and used to have a bevy of them.
    I don’t have any of the micros anymore.
    I do have a Beretta Tomcat 32 ACP, INOX edition that shoots really well for me,
    that I can’t seem to part with.
    The sights on the small guns certainly are dismal and I even paint the front sight red but sometimes even that doesn’t help.
    Your targets look fine to me for short barrel small 22 LR.

Last edited:

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I seen that vid when it first came out. I didn't post it because of the guy's poor gun handling.

His handling was very poor.

He also tried running low velocity sub-sonics through it, not the kind that are in the 950FPS range that semi-autos need to run. I didn’t get that, hst given that most subs will be more problematic.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I put 210 more rounds through the Glock 44 today: 810 rounds total.
    Used CCI Mini-Mags, 40 grain, copper-coated round nose, 1230 FPS.
    Only had 2 FTF (fire). There was a striker mark on the rim. I didn't even bother to run them through again since I knew from the other day they would fire.

Rows 1-4 were on a rest.
    Rows 5-8 were free hand (not use row 8).
    I couldn't believe how poorly I did free hand.
    I was correcting the sights as I went on the first few rows, I adjusted my windage off-center to the right for my eyes.
    21 feet
    9CxXxYq.jpg

30' Rows 1-3 were on a rest; the rest below it were free hand.
    aoAg5IZ.jpg

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I know for myself I would have a hec of a time shooting good groups trying to aim at that + at 30 feet. For close range shooting
    I bought a box of those targets that you often used which looks like it might be on the other side of your posted target.

I'll have to handle a G44 and see how it feels in the hand. I think I would really enjoy shooting it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Finally got my hands on a G44 yesterday. I've heard mixed reviews. I was told they are so light they feel like a toy. That was pretty accurate, IMO. None for me, thanks!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I know for myself I would have a hec of a time shooting good groups trying to aim at that + at 30 feet. For close range shooting
    I bought a box of those targets that you often used which looks like it might be on the other side of your posted target.

Yep, the 5 in targets (2-1-2) I love.

I'll have to handle a G44 and see how it feels in the hand. I think I would really enjoy shooting it.

Nothing special in how it feels in the hand to me.
    I liked a dozen others I've owned better in how they felt.
    This 44 is the opposite of what I like: big frame, long barrel & heavy.
    The trigger is nothing special at all & I see why people replace Glock triggers & I'm not a trigger snob at all.
    I do love the magazines, though: easiest to load of any rimfire I've owned.
    I can't explain why I bought it and have shot it so much since it is nothing special as far as accuracy.
    I even took off the large beaver tail backstrap & shot today with just the OEM backstrap to see it that would help
    It is in a "special" category for me that doesn't fit how I trimmed my other .22LR handguns.

Finally got my hands on a G44 yesterday. I've heard mixed reviews. I was told they are so light they feel like a toy. That was pretty accurate, IMO. None for me, thanks!

Totally agree.
    That is how I felt when I finally got a Taurus TX in my hand: too light.
    It reminded me of my SW MP Compact 22 that I loved at one time, but outgrew when I started shooting the Ruger Mark 4, Browning Buckmark & even the SW Victory (heavier is better to me).
    Read a review last night from someone who put both the 44 & the Taurus TX through its paces & recommended the TX for the $150 less, & even with the money off the table, he thought the TX was a better overall gun.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm waiting until 2021 to buy one. Hopefully bugs will be worked out by then.

That is usually my approach, like with the Sig 365: I made sure the manufacture date was, "acceptable."
    So far, I have only 2/810 rounds FTF (fire) using 7 different brands of good ammo. (.002469 % failure rate)
    By the time the 2021 models come out, it will be fun to see what my "count" is, if I still have it.
    I will be strict about keeping track of the rounds & FTF with the 44 since it is in the limelight.
    Hopefully, I'll be someone who can say: "Mine has been fine."

Last edited:
    Top Bottom