• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

You've said before that you don't trust a semiauto for carry, yet you are constantly buying and selling small semiautos meant for concealed carry.
    Are you trying to find a 9mm that you can trust for carry? If so, your Shield fits the bill just fine. Glock 26 works, too, if you decide that it fits your needs.

1. Yes: Perhaps the Shield is fine for that purpose of trust, but I've read where the Glock is the master in that department.
    2. Might be buying a Glock 26 this evening off a member here. (if we can get together)
    3. The Sig is "about" the same size I found out today as my Shield 9:
    Glock 26: Length = 1/4 inch longer (est); Height = +1 inch taller; grip wider a little (but I love that)
    and the Glock fits well in my pocket DeSantis Superfly holster w/flap

shopping

The Sig P365 is as small as the Shield (or smaller), but has the same capacity as the Glock 26, if you want the best of both worlds. That will be my new 9mm carry, when I can find one.

4. Sig 365 is shorter than the Shield by -1/2 inch; height same w/finger extension, otherwise -1/2 inch shorter w/o w/flat mag.
    (forgot to write down width, so probably about the same?, but the double stack should make it wider (but I like that).
    5. 15 feet = 7 shots w/i 3 inches
    21 feet = Shield more accurate

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    buy the Glock.

1. I intend to from a person here but we're having difficulty getting together; I'm on vacation so he must work for a living. :laugh:

I'm also confused... For a range gun get a 19 or a 17.

2. Agreed: I rented all the "big" 9mms at the range today: Beretta 92 with its really wide grip I loved (trying to buy one off Armslist as we type this evening: there are two of interest)

All of your posts leading up to this tell me that you will never carry a doublestack pistol. 26's are nice, but if you are not going to carry it I cannot come up with any logical purpose to not get one of the larger offerings.

3. I have not ruled out the double-stack Glock 26 (plan on buying one this evening if we can close the deal). I like the idea of 10 rounds. I would trust a Glock to carry (based on what I've read it could be the one).
    4. If the Glock 26 works for me to carry I'd sell the Shield 9mm to help pay for it.
    5. My goal would be to have for
    carry: 1 revolver (have 3), 1 semi-automatic (have .380 x2 and Shield, and will be getting the Glock 26 if deal goes through, and then there is the Beretta Nano I bought last week = 5 total. Trimming time.

The 43 and the shield are so closely matched I can't imagine why a person would switch mid stream.

6. Agreed. In fact: I dismissed the Glock 43 even before I shot it today.

The 365 is a large enough departure capacity wise that it makes some sense. If a 26 and a 19 were offered at the same price used I'd still go with the 19 as they are always in demand and you will sell it for what you bought it for (used bought, used sold).

7. That is what I always do. I won't buy a used one unless I know it will resell for the same money. Only lost once on a Ruger LC9 (started selling them new for less than I paid used. :ugh: Fortunately, I only lost $25 or 10%.

The 26 has a more specialized crowd and less holster offerings. If someone makes a concealment holster it will release with a 19 offering guaranteed. Having carried both a 43 and a full size 22 (40sw version of the 17) other than the weight they both conceal as well as the other in the right holster. The 43 is easier to owb conceal, but I daily carry my 22 owb and fully concealed when in street clothes.
    I don't understand the distrust of semi auto's. Don't trust cheap semi auto's, but duty proven offerings like the glock should instill just as much confidence as any wheel gun. They are also faster to reload, safer to fire when tucked in close in a struggle, and have a slimmer profile that lends itself to concealment. I want a carry pistol that has been reliable from the first day, every glock I've ever owned has been that, even the run through leo trade ins I've bought ran.

8. Everything you've said is why I'm spending $125 more for a used Glock (and many are asking for more) than what I paid for my used Shield 9. The Shield has not had issues, and I am learning to trust it, but for the very reason Glocks are used by police, does inspire confidence.

Doesn't really follow the OP starting point but if you are looking for something different on the range in your general price range....
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns-pistols-revolvers/451674-cz-p07-duty.html

9. I went to the link above to check on the CZ (don't know anything about them).
    10. I quickly found concerns about them, so I would just stay focused on the Glock 26.

I've posted similar to him several times.

11. I always check out guns that are suggested to me.

That said, any Glock holster that has an opening for the muzzle and doesn't try to cover the complete muzzle will generally fit either a 26 or a 19, or for that matter a 17. All the holster's I have fit any of the 3.
    Of course if something is trying to cover the entire muzzle, there would be a difference in fit.
    But yeah, pretty much similar to what many of us have responded to him with when it comes to carry guns. Just trying to get what he is working toward accomplishing, and what issue the current carry kit is not handling.

12. Just having fun exploring my options. I was totally happy with my Shield 9mm, but others suggested I look into other guns and so I have.
    13. Range rental is my friend: keeps me from having to buy everything to try it out, and I learn that many guns are "all-the-same" to me, so I dismiss them.
    14. For example, today, in looking for a big 9mm, nothing I have shot was any more fun than my Shield, but the Beretta 92 with its wide wide grip: I want one over all the other brands today: Ruger, Walther, Kimber, Glock, Sig Sauer and others whose names I don't even remember.

Just curious, but have you ever actually tried to draw and shoot from either pocket carry, or ankle carry? If not, why even carry? Magic talisman? If so, how long did it take you, and honestly, how many rounds could your aggressor put into your pumpkin or body whilst you were achieving a grip from which to draw? All of this small gun ADD is for naught if you can’t present the firearm this week to counter a right now threat?

15. Good point. And, one of the reasons I walked away from guns and carrying back in 1990: there was no end to it, enough was never enough.
    Buying a gun (s) and shooting at the range and getting a permit was insufficient.
    There was always more in order to prove to be "worthy" of carrying.
    16 You are right, if a bad guy has a gun on me, I am not going to be able to quick-draw him: I'm dead if I reached for a weapon, even if I had a holster on my hip.
    17. Like you say then: why bother? :wallbash: Really?! For all the obvious reasons we lesser mortals CC. :laugh:
    I was working 3 jobs and had little "discretionary" funds on my teacher salary, so I walked away from it all when my best friend moved to Denver and I
    hadnoone to share this "gun-life" with. :dunno:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Deal made: buying the Glock 26 tomorrow 9:30 am from a member here.

Now ya talkin' :):

You're 1/3 of the way there:

2. Put them snubbies in the safe, where they belong. Get them out and shoot them on New Years' Eve.

3. Shoot that block! 12 shot mag, extra 10 elsewhere on you...20+ rds, real grip, real sights, real gun.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    15. Good point. And, one of the reasons I walked away from guns and carrying back in 1990: there was no end to it, enough was never enough.
    Buying a gun (s) and shooting at the range and getting a permit was insufficient.
    There was always more in order to prove to be "worthy" of carrying.
    16 You are right, if a bad guy has a gun on me, I am not going to be able to quick-draw him: I'm dead if I reached for a weapon, even if I had a holster on my hip.
    17. Like you say then: why bother? :wallbash: Really?! For all the obvious reasons we lesser mortals CC. :laugh:
    I was working 3 jobs and had little "discretionary" funds on my teacher salary, so I walked away from it all when my best friend moved to Denver and I
    hadnoone to share this "gun-life" with. :dunno:
    You Obviously missed the point, so nevermind.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    9. I went to the link above to check on the CZ (don't know anything about them).
    10. I quickly found concerns about them, so I would just stay focused on the Glock 26.

Careful - talking smack about CZ's will get your posted report 'round here!!!i

G26 is a fine choice. I'd like to pick up a Gen 5 19 or 19x but other purchases keep getting in the way and a CZ P10C has become my new plastic favorite...

We will look for a range report before Noon...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Careful - talking smack about CZ's will get your posted report 'round here!!!i
    G26 is a fine choice. I'd like to pick up a Gen 5 19 or 19x but other purchases keep getting in the way and a CZ P10C has become my new plastic favorite...
    We will look for a range report before Noon...

1. The guy I am buying the Glock 26 from here has some very high-end guns: he is "trimming back" mode.
    2. He has a couple of very very expensive CZ guns that he has sent away for modification.
    3. He was telling me how well the CZ has treated him, when I brought up the $380 CZ ad that I was shown here as a viable option for a range gun.
    4. No range report before noon! I have spent 3 hrs. at the range in the last 3 days, and the marriage needs attention. :laugh: I'll be lucky to get back to the range maybe Thursday evening while my wife is gone. But, I shot the Glock 26 today (with a dozen other guns) and gave a range report on that today.

5. I have more cabinet knobs to put up in the bathrooms, and other "chores," like doing my taxes, and believe it or not, I have boxes of comics I am getting ready to sell at a Comic Book Show April 29th, left over from when my young son (now 32) and I used to collect. All I have left now is Science Fiction mostly. Items left over from a hobby in the 90s (already sold $1000s of dollars of Spiderman, FF, Xmen and other Marvel Comics). Moving last Nov. is forcing me to deal with this now instead of when I retire.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Thanks so much!!!! :rockwoot:
    2. I have to get up for a 6 am meeting so I have to go to bed tonight, but I want to get this ordered when I figure out this FFL thing tomorrow, after my 6am and 9:30am meetings (one for buying the Glock 26). Then I've got to drill cabinets for knobs to keep the wife happy. :)
    3. I have never ordered online or tried to do the auctions or anything b/c I have run into roadblocks when I try to figure out the FFL part (the one (s) I want to pick do not show up.
    4. Your input: should I upgrade from $239 to $269 for a better grade and choose the "handpick" opiton, or, will any of that matter, or will it be of great significance when/if (:laugh:) I resell?
    5. I ask incase you have been down this road with this company.
    6. Again: thanks so much! :thumbsup:
    7. I was going to pay $400ish for a Beretta 92 FS (and to get INOX I would have paid more :dunno:)

NOTE: I sent you a pm with a question about ordering.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    doddg - Don't take this the wrong way - but if you purchase a surplus gun, please consider if you should have a gunsmith take a look at it before firing. The vast majority are in very shootable condition but many have had taken a circuitous route to your gun safe.

Those 92s have been imported for at least several years now and IMHO, are well worth the $300. If you buy one, I'd be interest to know the final price with shipping. I know you are hesitant to disclose what you pay for guns but maybe you can make an exception?!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You did notice that these Berettas are the European Mag Release models, not the U.S. right?

1. Thanks for the heads-up, Vigilant. :thumbsup:
    2. I did not, but for my range use, it being on the lower back left side (viewed on 'net), it won't be an issue.
    3. If/when resale :dunno:: it could be an issue then. I'll sell it as an exotic European version from the "old country." :laugh:

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I think they are a wholesale distributor, and you have to contact an FFL to order one of those 92s pistols for you. I don't think you can direct order as a non-dealer.

That would explain an item I read in their FAQ's.

I advised doddg to give them a call and find out the facts.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just going to say this, and I know some folks views on Taurus, but the older Taurus PT 92 and 99 guns are Beretta clones (actually Taurus bought the original tooling in Brazil that Beretta had https://www.taurususa.com/forjas-taurus-history.cfm ). I have a PT99 (same as 92 but with adjustable sights) that I bought back in 1991 and it is the only non striker fired gun I still have.

Some actually like the Taurus PT 92 and 99's better than the Beretta due to the safety being frame mounted vs slide mounted. Mine is one of the original non-decocker models. I had mine Black-T finished about 25 years ago and for that reason I won't sell it off, as I'd not get the value out of it I would need.

These are the most reliable Taurus pistols made that I am aware of (at least the older ones). Just something to consider if the surplus Beretta does not work out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That would explain an item I read in their FAQ's.
    I advised doddg to give them a call and find out the facts.

1. I called S.O.G. and they needed the FFL dealer to send them a copy of his license.They said the would have contacted me saying they needed this info to be able to process the order (nowhere did I see any place to input FFL info, even though he was listed on their site, but they didn't have his license number, which seems oxymoronish if he was in their system: strange.
    2. I went to the FFL near me (found through S.O.B.'s website) and gave him my order #, which he emailed with his license # to S.O.G.
    3. I will contact S.O.B. in a couple of days to make sure they have that, or they are "backed-up" in processing their info connecting the dots.
    4. If they have the proper info, it will be good to go, if not, I'll have to help them connect the dots.
    5. I greatly don't understand the website, and went back to look again. :wallbash:
    6. It gives you the option of shipping it to "your" address or another, w/o accounting for the fact that you can't ship a handgun to a resident who is not an FFL.
    7. It seems like after putting in your address they would then ask to what FFL dealer are you shipping it to and what is their address? :dunno:

images

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just going to say this, and I know some folks views on Taurus, but the older Taurus PT 92 and 99 guns are Beretta clones (actually Taurus bought the original tooling in Brazil that Beretta had https://www.taurususa.com/forjas-taurus-history.cfm ). I have a PT99 (same as 92 but with adjustable sights) that I bought back in 1991 and it is the only non striker fired gun I still have.

Some actually like the Taurus PT 92 and 99's better than the Beretta due to the safety being frame mounted vs slide mounted. Mine is one of the original non-decocker models. I had mine Black-T finished about 25 years ago and for that reason I won't sell it off, as I'd not get the value out of it I would need.

These are the most reliable Taurus pistols made that I am aware of (at least the older ones). Just something to consider if the surplus Beretta does not work out.

Is this what you had in mind?

TAUR-92SS17web.jpg

Regular Price: $469.95

$429.00

• 5” Barrel• Stainless Finish
    • Fixed Sights
    • Accessory Rail
    • Ambidextrous Safety
    • DA / SA
    • 17rd Capacity

1. With my love for stainless steel/nickel, I should have probably bought this. :laugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom