• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Make sure you don't get the process backwards: the solution is not to find a gun you can stuff in your pocket, then learn to shoot it. The solution is to find a reliable gun YOU CAN SHOOT...then learn to dress around it.

1. I am not going to dress a different way to accommodate a certain gun.
    2. I have guns that I can carry now with the way I dress. If this means I can never ever carry a certain brand of semi-automatic: so be it; I'll
    stay aa snubbie revolver guy.

If you're pocket-carrying - or you can't find space to hide a G26 on your body - let's face facts: you're not really all that serious about carrying. You're trying to make a mouse gun fit into your pre-conceived ideas about what you want to wear.

3. I am carrying now, so for that I'm serious. I'm not serious about carrying a particular gun since there is a dozen (s) of compatible guns that I could carry.

I was once in your position. I found that the solution was to "man-up." There are 120 pound women who found ways to dress around bigger guns than the mouse .380s you're trying to stuff in your pocket.

4. I carry revolvers; I don't carry .380s, even though I have two: trust issues, although for back-up, ok.

Range-try the guns, find the one YOU SHOOT THE BEST, and find a way to dress around that gun.

5. At this point, my range skills have not shown any 1 gun to be superior to others, for the most part.
    6. If I had to use my gun to protect it would be a "point and shoot" situation at a very few feet/yards.
    7. Instead of using my "Judge" for home protection, if I was going to dress for a bigger gun, it would be for it so I could use 410 shotgun shells: 3 or 4
    slug.

(Hint: you don't look like a 120 lb. guy...out of the 3 guns you're considering...if you carry out a rational process of consideration...and the answer comes out anything other than the G26...you probably need to try again).

8. I asked for advice: thanks for giving me yours. :)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    8. I asked for advice: thanks for giving me yours. :)

Sounds to me like you need to get some speed loaders and just work on the revolver reload speed, and handling skills.

I have trust issues with any semi-automatic, is why I use a revolver for CC,
    but have always been open to finding a reliable 9mm,
    which is why I have the Shield 9mm after trying out a dozen others either buy buying/selling or renting at the range.

And to this point, I guess the question is, what are you chasing beyond the Shield, if you are looking to do this instead of the revolvers? Are you looking for more capacity, smaller, or what? What issue is either the revolver or the Shield not solving for you?

It's one thing to buy a bunch of guns for fun, and shooting, and that is all good but when you get to carry, it is generally all about the system (holster, belt, gun, etc) and about proficiency with your chosen setup and working out any issues that come up with the setup. Some folks carry a flavor of the day gun, but most will stick with at least a similar operation gun, similar holster, etc if not the exact same gear for EDC.

If you could describe what your current setup is not getting done, we could assist a bit better.

And I'd say other than the addition of a good belt, you'd be surprised what you could carry without changing much about dress style (unless you wear skinny jeans or running shorts all the time) beyond buying some pants about a size up in the waist (if you want to do IWB). I can carry my chosen conceal carry rig in cargo shorts, dress pants, jeans, etc... tucked or untucked shirt, without issues.

7. Instead of using my "Judge" for home protection, if I was going to dress for a bigger gun, it would be for it so I could use 410 shotgun shells: 3 or 4 slug.

Not sure if serious. I can't imagine that being a viable option.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    In basically every way, I honestly don't know why someone would buy a g43 now

7nE2RKt.jpg

1. Since the above guns are not labelled, I do not know which is what. :dunno:

Shield , Sig p365 and Glock 43

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

I'm out of popcorn....

Given your affinity for the Colt Mustang, I think you would really like a P938 (or maybe you'd find it too redundant of the Colt to be interesting??). The SA operation is a different carry method and requires training.

Aesthetically, the all metal P938, IMHO, is a good looking little gun.

The Glocks are Glocks. Gonna work most everytime. The G43 is a solid performer but, the Sig P365 is the flavor of the day. If you want something that that brings features to the table that the Shield doesn't have - I'd go with a P365 or P938. $500 for the P365 and a little more for the P938. Seem like a see a used one for $550 to $600 new for another hundred? Can't say I follow prices on them.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Shield, 365, Glock in that order.

1. Nice to know my original "research" and buying/selling/renting lead me to the Shield that I own.
    2. I always question myself, however, and am not satisfied until I'm sure.
    3. The Shield is my benchmark
    andcompare everything to it.

Sounds to me like you need to get some speed loaders and just work on the revolver reload speed, and handling skills.

4. Great insight!

And to this point, I guess the question is, what are you chasing beyond the Shield, if you are looking to do this instead of the revolvers? Are you looking for more capacity, smaller, or what? What issue is either the revolver or the Shield not solving for you?

5. Good question. I would like to find a 9mm that I could trust like a revolver.
    6. Since the semi-autos conceal better with a thinner profile: that is the appeal, since I will only use a pocket or ankle holster (I do have a holster that I have bought to fit in the front of the pants, but I've not learned to use it yet since the pocket and ankle holster are my default.
    7. Issue: smallness. I am the same person who used a Beretta .25 (sold it
    ), and still have the Beretta .32, and the two .380s I have (Mustang and Smith), but I really did take to heart the "need" to have a small 9mm instead of those.
    8. I haven't used the .32 or .380 lately for CC.

It's one thing to buy a bunch of guns for fun, and shooting, and that is all good but when you get to carry, it is generally all about the system (holster, belt, gun, etc) and about proficiency with your chosen setup and working out any issues that come up with the setup. Some folks carry a flavor of the day gun, but most will stick with at least a similar operation gun, similar holster, etc if not the exact same gear for EDC.

9. I will probably only carry a revolver unless over time I discover that the Sig 938 or 365, or Glock 26 or 43 or something I am unaware of now, can be totally trusted like a revolver and I could move in that direction. That will take much time, education and experience, though, more than my 10 months I've got in now.

If you could describe what your current setup is not getting done, we could assist a bit better.

10. I am totally happy with my revolvers in ankle holster, but wouldn't mind a small 9 in the pocket. (Shield barely works in both applications)
    11. I do appreciate people's time and input, and realize everyone has opinions and it is up to me to sort through them since my priorities are not as the person who has been around the block a few times which is why I love it when those that have owned all the different types say why they ended up with the one they did: practical advice, not theory (or judgemental).

And I'd say other than the addition of a good belt, you'd be surprised what you could carry without changing much about dress style (unless you wear skinny jeans or running shorts all the time) beyond buying some pants about a size up in the waist (if you want to do IWB). I can carry my chosen conceal carry rig in cargo shorts, dress pants, jeans, etc... tucked or untucked shirt, without issues.

12. You bring up a very interesting point. Since I have lost weight, and have some pants that are 1 size up (think I got rid of the 2 sizes up), and should get a good IWB holster to try with those.
    13. I had not considered that since I'm happy with the ankle holster and my 2nd choice but more limiting: pocket holster. ( I marvel at those who put a gun in their butt pocket like a wallet???
    14. My shirt tail is always tucked, maybe not on Sat., so 85% of the time it is.

[/B][/U][/SIZE][/COLOR]Not sure if serious. I can't imagine that being a viable option.

Shield , Sig p365 and Glock 43

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1. I am the most boring person I know. :dunno:
    2. The reason of the success of my marriage: she is more boring than me so I get to be the exciting one. :laugh:
    3. Of course, this means I drive her nuts, unfortunately. :ugh:

I took a call while type and submitted before providing a response. Wasn't meaning to be an a$$...

Boredom is something, as I have aged, that appeals more and more.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Nice to know my original "research" and buying/selling/renting lead me to the Shield that I own.
    2. I always question myself, however, and am not satisfied until I'm sure.
    3. The Shield is my benchmark
    andcompare everything to it.

I was only outlining the picture order. Not the virtues of the guns. When I quoted you, it did not quote the previous post of Dean's.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    12. You bring up a very interesting point. Since I have lost weight, and have some pants that are 1 size up (think I got rid of the 2 sizes up), and should get a good IWB holster to try with those.
    13. I had not considered that since I'm happy with the ankle holster and my 2nd choice but more limiting: pocket holster. ( I marvel at those who put a gun in their butt pocket like a wallet???
    14. My shirt tail is always tucked, maybe not on Sat., so 85% of the time it is.
    If you want comfort and tuckable, you'd do well to check out a hybrid (leather backing, kydex shell) IWB holster. Between that and a good belt (Biobelt is my preference), you would be amazed at what you could carry comfortably, shirt tucked or untucked. My preference is Galco King Tuk, but there are many. I have also used a Crossbreed Mini Tuck.

A gun such as a Glock 19 or M&P Compact 2.0 very easily carried in a hybrid IWB. Glock 43 or Shield completely disappears for all real purposes in one. Hybrid IWB was a game changer for me.

The whole ankle carry thing or pocket carry thing is not something I ever got into. I'm sure one could train with it, but doing that with a striker fired gun, or a single action is just looking to put a round in your own leg, without really training on it. That said, I think everything can be trained, it's just a matter of muscle memory, etc, but you don't seem to be one to settle in on a single gun and train only on it. I don't do appendix carry either but many folks do.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent the afternoon looking at Glocks and Sigs and a few Rugers for fun.

One guy had a Glock 43 for sale for $440, and Hoosier Armory has them new for $449.
    I don't get that.
    Everytime I see a gun for sale I check their new prices and dismiss them if it is not $XX less than new. (don't want to say the $$ range for fear of reprisal, but my formula works for me :laugh:), but at least $100 less and hopefully up $200 less than new. (Hoosier Armory prices, not MSRP).

I found a few guns I would buy this pm but I grow weary of having to go to the trouble of selling, unless I buy so low as to be a no-brainer (which I have: Example = Shield .45 for $280 after figuring in free ammo, which I do).
    I need to hit the range for rentals, but as in the case of a Ruger SE 9mm (I think) for $250, but I remember the Smith SD9VE that I bought for $250, but it was no better than my present Shield 9mm so didn't live up to my hopes of a larger 9mm for range fun (no more fun than the Shield 9mm.

There were various Sig 938s and some Glocks that I'd buy, but reluctant that they will be just like the Beretta Nano that I'd hoped would be another 9mm I could not live w/o, but the verdict is still out on it, especially since it is only about 1/2 inch smaller in length and height: if it was a 10 - 13 magazine with that profile, that would be an acceptable Shield replacement, which I think (if I remember, getting confused) that the Sig 365 or maybe even the Sig 938 bring to the table, if the Glock 26 does not.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you want comfort and tuckable, you'd do well to check out a hybrid (leather backing, kydex shell) IWB holster. Between that and a good belt (Biobelt is my preference), you would be amazed at what you could carry comfortably, shirt tucked or untucked. My preference is Galco King Tuk, but there are many. I have also used a Crossbreed Mini Tuck.

A gun such as a Glock 19 or M&P Compact 2.0 very easily carried in a hybrid IWB. Glock 43 or Shield completely disappears for all real purposes in one. Hybrid IWB was a game changer for me.

The whole ankle carry thing or pocket carry thing is not something I ever got into. I'm sure one could train with it, but doing that with a striker fired gun, or a single action is just looking to put a round in your own leg, without really training on it. That said, I think everything can be trained, it's just a matter of muscle memory, etc, but you don't seem to be one to settle in on a single gun and train only on it. I don't do appendix carry either but many folks do.

Once you go junk carry, you’ll never go back!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I like Glocks. We have 4 of them. The wife and I both carry G43s. She carried a Shield for a while but it now lives in the safe. My grandson's girl friend is thinking about buying it and it is one of only two handguns we would consider selling. I consider this just another "Chevy vs Ford" conversation so I'm just weighing in to say what we do. Go to a range that will rent guns and try 'em all. Carry the one you like and, whatever it is, shoot it a lot.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Once you go junk carry, you’ll never go back!

Can't do it. Having a gun pointing at my junk and a larger artery are not in my future.

Also, while not excessively heavy, having a bit more in the spare tire area would make it a bit uncomfortable I'm guessing.

Hybrid IWB for me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Can't do it. Having a gun pointing at my junk and a larger artery are not in my future.

Also, while not excessively heavy, having a bit more in the spare tire area would make it a bit uncomfortable I'm guessing.

Hybrid IWB for me.

You haven’t lived until you’ve had a large black Glock nestled up against your junk.

Wait.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana

Hybrid IWB for me.
    I use the Smart Carry and that doesn't point at my stuff. (Sig P320 in the Smart Carry, SA XD-E 45 at 5 o'clock, they balance out. LOL)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Someone contacted me here who was reading the thread about his Glock 26 for sale and I have responded to him.
    Someone else has one for sale that has special night sights ($160 on the night sights/Trijicon), and a holster with 4 mags.
    They both are the same price, but obviously, the one with the night sights instead of standard Glock issue would be the better buy.
    I am waiting for feedback to see if anyone will blink.
    The price for either is $400.
    Since the G26 has the greater capacity and the reliability I've been looking for, I'd give it a try and sell the Beretta Nano I bought last week.

Feel free to pm me if you don't want your advice to be read by all.
    I understand the limitations of the Glock 26, and perhaps it is "aged" technology and I should just get a Sig 365 instead ($500 + tax) if I would go that direction.
    Don't mind buying anything if the price is right.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Someone contacted me here who was reading the thread about his Glock 26 for sale and I have responded to him.
    Someone else has one for sale that has special night sights ($160 on the night sights/Trijicon), and a holster with 4 mags.
    They both are the same price, but obviously, the one with the night sights instead of standard Glock issue would be the better buy.
    I am waiting for feedback to see if anyone will blink.
    The price for either is $400.
    Since the G26 has the greater capacity and the reliability I've been looking for, I'd give it a try and sell the Beretta Nano I bought last week.

Feel free to pm me if you don't want your advice to be read by all.
    I understand the limitations of the Glock 26, and perhaps it is "aged" technology and I should just get a Sig 365 instead ($500 + tax) if I would go that direction.
    Don't mind buying anything if the price is right.

A stock 26 that hasn't been molested, in good shape with trijicons with some life left in them, for $400 is a good thing.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom