• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Let me share about performance... I worked as a RO at a lot of gssf matches and have seen a lot of GREAT scores shot with G-26's.
    Those pistols just don't seem to give up anything to their big brothers (G-19&17). I simply cannot imagine any pistol out-performing a '26. A std mag (10+1) and a 17 rd mag as back up gives you the largest capacity of everything else you're considering.
    If you can carry it a '26 is hard to beat.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Let me share about performance... I worked as a RO at a lot of gssf matches and have seen a lot of GREAT scores shot with G-26's.
    Those pistols just don't seem to give up anything to their big brothers (G-19&17). I simply cannot imagine any pistol out-performing a '26. A std mag (10+1) and a 17 rd mag as back up gives you the largest capacity of everything else you're considering.
    If you can carry it a '26 is hard to beat.

1. Solid input: thanks for the perspective of a bunch of experience. :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Solid input: thanks for the perspective of a bunch of experience. :thumbsup:

Biggest thing to watch for on a used Glock is someone who did a bunch of upgrades, especially with aftermarket parts.

Swapping out sights, or a mag release is all good. (Sights are almost mandatory to be swapped on a Glock, IMO) However, someone putting in aftermarket parts or messing with the trigger, who doesn't know what they are doing, and you could have issues. The only times I have seen Glocks have failures (other than brass to the face) is when someone started swapping aftermarket parts in and didn't know what they were doing.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I read overthehill's thread on the Glock 43: lots of love.
    I still can't shake the curiosity that I should try out the Glock 26 b/c of the greater capacity and since I already have the Shield 9.

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I am NOT advertising for glock, but go to "GSSF online", click on "hot topics" and you will see prices for new glocks for gssf members.
    You have to sign up for a 3 yr membership (iirc), but that enables you to purchase 1 per year...check out the details.
    May be of value to someone.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm out of popcorn....

Given your affinity for the Colt Mustang, I think you would really like a P938 (or maybe you'd find it too redundant of the Colt to be interesting??). The SA operation is a different carry method and requires training.

Aesthetically, the all metal P938, IMHO, is a good looking little gun.

The Glocks are Glocks. Gonna work most everytime. The G43 is a solid performer but, the Sig P365 is the flavor of the day. If you want something that that brings features to the table that the Shield doesn't have - I'd go with a P365 or P938. $500 for the P365 and a little more for the P938. Seem like a see a used one for $550 to $600 new for another hundred? Can't say I follow prices on them.

I have a Colt Mustang +2 that I pretty much shot out (I think it needs an extractor, but I haven't finished diagnosing). That is how I ended up with the P938 as a replacement.

The poor Mustang has been through about fifty Q Course qualifications since I got it in 1992, and I think it's just tired. ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Went to the range and spent nearly 3 hours.
    I rented every small 9mm and nearly every big one they had.

First, my report on the Glock 26: (everything compared to my SW MP Shield 9mm)
    I was surprised by the size, the Glock was bigger than the Shield 9mm.
    Glock: (these are my estimates comparing the guns in my hand)
    1/2" longer
    1" higher
    1/2" wider (loved the wider grip)
    Glock is the "bigger" gun.
    BUT, when I put them both into my DeSanti pocket holster:
    the Glock fit into it better (didn't seem to fill it up as much??? (contradictory of specs, but somehow "snuggled" into the holster better?)
    It did give me hope that in practical application, it would be fine.

Glock:
    21' = 2 bullseyes; 3 w/i 4"; 7 w/i 6"
    Shield 9: samish; 4 w/i 4"

I have a chance to buy one off a member here for $400 and intend to do that even though by the measurements, it is illogical with nothing to gain.
    The accuracy is about the same with both the Glock 26 and Shield 9mm.
    More rounds with the Glock.
    If Glock is a better gun: then I should do it?
    Or, just shut up and stick with the Shield 9?
    I have $280 in my Shield and will have $400 in the Glock.

Feel free to give your opinions. (most of you have already)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Continuation of Range Report on Monday 3hrs.

Glock 43 (compare to my Shield 9):
    -1 inch/height
    +(hair) longer
    0 width same

21 feet accurate; Shield same
    1 w/i 1 inch groups
    3 w/i 3 inches

Shield a little more accurate.
    Shield a little heavier

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Part 3 Continuation of Monday's range report of 3 hours.

Cut to the chase: Beretta 92 was my utter favorite "big" 9mm: fantastic wide grip!

Springfield XDE 3.3; 9 round: (everything compared to my Shield 9mm)
    +1 inch in length
    +(hair) in width
    +1 inch in height

30 feet = low and right

21 feet = 4 w/i 1 inch; 6 w/i 4 inch;
    21 feet = 2 w/i 1 inch; 3 w/i 2 inches; 8 w/i 3 inches
    15 feet = 3 w/i 1 inch; 5 w/i 2 inches; 6 w/i 3 inches
    15 feet = 1 w/i 1 inch; 2 w/i 2 inches; 4 w/i 3 inches

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

You've said before that you don't trust a semiauto for carry, yet you are constantly buying and selling small semiautos meant for concealed carry.
    Are you trying to find a 9mm that you can trust for carry? If so, your Shield fits the bill just fine. Glock 26 works, too, if you decide that it fits your needs.

The Sig P365 is as small as the Shield (or smaller), but has the same capacity as the Glock 26, if you want the best of both worlds. That will be my new 9mm carry, when I can find one.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    One thing about the G26 over the Shield....you can buy a 15 round mag and a mag sleeve and basically have a Glock 19 with a 1/2 inch shorter barrel.

Or use any Glock 9mm mag, even the 33 rounds G18 mags.

No reason not to own both, of course.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Part 4 Continuation of Monday's range report of 3 hours.
    (everything compared to my Shield 9mm)

Sig 928:
    Length = "hair" (1/4" longer)
    Width = wider/better grip
    Height = -1 inch smaller

Shot almost as well as my Shield
    Fit well into DeSanti holster

Sig 365:
    length = 1/2 inch shorter
    samish height (depends on finger extention
    Width = 1/2 inch smaller

Accuracy: fine
    30 feet = 1/w/i 2 inches; 2 w/i 2 inches; 3 w/i 3 inches; 4 w/i 4 inches; 5 w/i 5 inches
    21 feet = 6 w/i 3 inches; 5 w/i 4 inches
    15 feet = all w/i 3 inches

Also shot but too lazy to give more details that noone is reading anyway :laugh::
    Sig 320
    SW MP 9mm (not Shield)
    Ruger American
    Sig 928 (shot almost as well as Shield) good grip
    Sig 365 ( only slightly smaller than Shield)
    Beretta Storm P(?) X4 17 round
    Walther Creed
    Kimber Pro Carry 2 (1911 style)
    I shot the above Kimber more that anything else: very accurate, but hard to load.

Kimber Micro 9 (compared to Shield 9)
    same height
    same length
    "hair" wider

Kimber accurate (6 shot)
    30 feet = 4 w/i 5 inches
    21 feet = 6 w/i 4 inches
    21 feet = 5 w/i 4 inches

Almost forgot: I rented the Smith M/P 2.0:
    It was more accurate than the Shield 9, just like I read

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm also confused... For a range gun get a 19 or a 17. All of your posts leading up to this tell me that you will never carry a doublestack pistol. 26's are nice, but if you are not going to carry it I cannot come up with any logical purpose to not get one of the larger offerings. The 43 and the shield are so closely matched I can't imagine why a person would switch mid stream. The 365 is a large enough departure capacity wise that it makes some sense. If a 26 and a 19 were offered at the same price used I'd still go with the 19 as they are always in demand and you will sell it for what you bought it for (used bought, used sold). The 26 has a more specialized crowd and less holster offerings. If someone makes a concealment holster it will release with a 19 offering guaranteed. Having carried both a 43 and a full size 22 (40sw version of the 17) other than the weight they both conceal as well as the other in the right holster. The 43 is easier to owb conceal, but I daily carry my 22 owb and fully concealed when in street clothes.

I don't understand the distrust of semi auto's. Don't trust cheap semi auto's, but duty proven offerings like the glock should instill just as much confidence as any wheel gun. They are also faster to reload, safer to fire when tucked in close in a struggle, and have a slimmer profile that lends itself to concealment. I want a carry pistol that has been reliable from the first day, every glock I've ever owned has been that, even the run through leo trade ins I've bought ran.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm also confused... For a range gun get a 19 or a 17. All of your posts leading up to this tell me that you will never carry a doublestack pistol. 26's are nice, but if you are not going to carry it I cannot come up with any logical purpose to not get one of the larger offerings. The 43 and the shield are so closely matched I can't imagine why a person would switch mid stream. The 365 is a large enough departure capacity wise that it makes some sense. If a 26 and a 19 were offered at the same price used I'd still go with the 19 as they are always in demand and you will sell it for what you bought it for (used bought, used sold). The 26 has a more specialized crowd and less holster offerings. If someone makes a concealment holster it will release with a 19 offering guaranteed. Having carried both a 43 and a full size 22 (40sw version of the 17) other than the weight they both conceal as well as the other in the right holster. The 43 is easier to owb conceal, but I daily carry my 22 owb and fully concealed when in street clothes.

I don't understand the distrust of semi auto's. Don't trust cheap semi auto's, but duty proven offerings like the glock should instill just as much confidence as any wheel gun. They are also faster to reload, safer to fire when tucked in close in a struggle, and have a slimmer profile that lends itself to concealment. I want a carry pistol that has been reliable from the first day, every glock I've ever owned has been that, even the run through leo trade ins I've bought ran.

I've posted similar to him several times.

That said, any Glock holster that has an opening for the muzzle and doesn't try to cover the complete muzzle will generally fit either a 26 or a 19, or for that matter a 17. All the holster's I have fit any of the 3.
    Of course if something is trying to cover the entire muzzle, there would be a difference in fit.

But yeah, pretty much similar to what many of us have responded to him with when it comes to carry guns. Just trying to get what he is working toward accomplishing, and what issue the current carry kit is not handling.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just curious, but have you ever actually tried to draw and shoot from either pocket carry, or ankle carry? If not, why even carry? Magic talisman? If so, how long did it take you, and honestly, how many rounds could your aggressor put into your pumpkin or body whilst you were achieving a grip from which to draw? All of this small gun ADD is for naught if you can’t present the firearm this week to counter a right now threat?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ll even offer up my G26 airsoft to you while I use my G19 airsoft, ankle or pocket holster for you, appendix for me. We can run some “interview” scenarios, and you can learn a little about primary carry vs. back up carry? Or you can teach me that pocket or ankle carry is just as fast for a primary self defense weapon? An old fashioned Duel if you will!;)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I’ll even offer up my G26 airsoft to you while I use my G19 airsoft, ankle or pocket holster for you, appendix for me. We can run some “interview” scenarios, and you can learn a little about primary carry vs. back up carry? Or you can teach me that pocket or ankle carry is just as fast for a primary self defense weapon? An old fashioned Duel if you will!;)

Sounds like the making of an InGO group event at MTAC.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom